Worried over raising bps

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: Worried over raising bps

Re: Worried over raising bps

Post by sam10 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 06:49 pm

First of all, congratulations on your new baby :D

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but yes, the magnesium can be quite terrible. I had it with both my pregnancies and I got away with just feeling yucky.
Try to take it easy (if this is possible) and remain vigilant, as you have been, in case you keep feeling poor, as preeclampsia does not always quite end with delivery. My BP was all over the place postpartum despite medications, and my headache was worse too. I called my docs daily :D

My c-section scar healed pretty quickly. I moved around a lot (within the allowed limits), but also took the pain meds, which helped too.

Re: Worried over raising bps

Post by Amysmom » Wed Mar 20, 2013 04:30 pm

I just want to quickly update: After my dr appt (the day after i posted this) I had a mild headache and decided to call the dr. It turned out i was preeclamptic and had a bp headache so I was induced that night because my bps kept rising.. I stopped looking when the readings were 170s/100s. The magnesium sulfate was the most horrid experience of my life and I wound up with an emergency c section anyways after the baby's heart rate dropped. Now I'm on labetalol after a few high readings pp. The dr told me I'll be on meds for at least 6 weeks.

Thanks for your help..I wish my dr had listened to me earlier so my labor and delivery wouldn't have been so dramatic..maybe I wouldn't even need blood pressure meds right now and not be able to lift my toddler due to csection.

Re: Worried over raising bps

Post by sam10 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 06:49 pm

You could ask your doctors about the HYPITAT study ("Hypertension and Pre-eclampsia Intervention Trial At Term"). It is a study that found that at 37 weeks there is more risk than benefit to keep mom pregnant while the outcome for the baby is the same even with only mild hypertension. Here is link to the study. I believe it is now considered standard care by the ACOG. It is cited often in these forums, so you can do a search if you are interested.

Here is a link to the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19656558

In the meantime keep in mind all the signs and symptoms and report any of them to your doctors.

Welcome to the forums!

Worried over raising bps

Post by Amysmom » Sun Mar 10, 2013 05:26 pm

Hi I am currently 37 weeks 2 days with my second baby. I've never had Bp issues ever in my life before two weeks ago when I had two separate readings of mid 140s/mid90s.. one with trace urine, one with plus 2. I was sent to the hospital for monitoring and labs. while there my Bp went down to 130s/80s and all labs came back fine. Last week, Bp clocked in at high 150s/ low 100s for at least 45 mins during my nst but urine was trace. I was sent to the hospital and Bp went down again 130s/70s but urine was plus 1. I am currently doing 24 hr urine and mod bedrest until my nst tomorrow. Growth scan last week has baby measuring average at 6lb 9oz (my first was 8lb 9oz when born spontaneously and healthy at 37w2d). I had no idea that my bps were that high. I Do get contractions and out of breath when I walk too much but that has been whole preg which btw bps have all been 120s/80s until two weeks ago. I also get this head rush feeling with my braxton hicks which they cannot explain.

It seems like they are waiting for 24hr urine to decide what they are going to do. I'm worried about my Bp spiking during delivery and any complications. Does it seem like they are dragging their feet? The resident dr at the hospital seemed very concerned last time while my drs don't seem phased. My mom had pre e with me and had to be induced. Idk if I should push for that or not since my bps just keep getting higher?