Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post a reply

:
In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you enter both of the words displayed into the text field underneath.
Smilies
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review
   

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by caryn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 am

...and? :) I'm hoping you have a healthy baby and mama...

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by Solved » Wed Nov 06, 2013 03:41 am

My results are back: 352. My obgyn wants to see me tomorrow morning, so that's reassuring.

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by Solved » Wed Nov 06, 2013 09:43 am

Thanks! I'll keep monitoring my blood pressure (133/77 right now, so it's good), and I should have the results of the 24h urinalysis tomorrow.

So, what I would expect is that they would move the c-section to this week if the 24h is high. Is there a particular threshold I should expect the obgyn to react to? I assumed it was 300, but when the previous results were 277, 160, 280, his decision was to stop testing until the dipsticks were over trace. If it is a little over 300, should I feel comfortable waiting until next Tuesday to deliver? I don't know how strict the 300 threshold is.

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by caryn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 07:35 am

I am pretty sure that any tertiary hospital would take one look at someone running 140/90 plus sufficient proteinuria plus 38 weeks and would just start an induction, but smaller hospitals might not be so up to speed on the new recommendations and the way the toolbox for care has changed recently.

Please keep us posted as you're able! I worry about people this close to the end...

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by sam10 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 09:27 am

If you don't feel comfortable with your OB and/or experience any other concerning symptoms, you can always go to L&D to get checked. Better safe than sorry.

Check this link for PE symptoms: https://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by Solved » Tue Nov 05, 2013 05:47 am

caryn wrote:The official recommendation from the ACOG would have you delivering now: http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20P ... eries.aspx


Thank you. That's what I thought. Not sure what I can do about it, though, my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. At least I went and bought a new blood pressure monitor, so I can keep track of that.

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by caryn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 03:44 am

The official recommendation from the ACOG would have you delivering now: http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20P ... eries.aspx

Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Post by Solved » Tue Nov 05, 2013 02:59 am

My blood pressure has been over 140/90 for weeks, and my proteinuria has been inching higher until today when I got a +2 on the dipstick (previously all trace; 24 h: 277, 160, 280). I'm doing another 24h urinalysis right now and have an obgyn appt on Friday. I've been having floaters in my vision, nausea and a migraine for 5 weeks.

So, how safe is it really to wait until my scheduled c-section next Tuesday? I'm a bit concerned about this wait-and-see approach. My home blood pressure monitor has proven to be very inaccurate, but I'm considering getting a new one just so that I can at least keep track of my blood pressure in the meantime.

Top