Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by sam10 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 08:08 pm

Congratulations on your new baby. I hope your wife is feeling already better and could see the baby. Thinking of your family.

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by jccampot » Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:57 am

Hi. Cant write much as i am on phone. Last nigth my wife gave birth a helthy 2600gr baby througth an induction. But after that things went out of control. 4 hours after having the baby wy wife bp sky rocket to 22/12 the blood test gave horrible the urine test gave 8.0!. She also developed help syndrome. It has been very hard for us. She is under strict contol now and cant see shes baby. Hope things get better tomorrow. Thank good the baby is ok but without his mom


Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by sparkedjenn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 06:52 pm

Hope things are going ok with you, your wife, and little one!

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by sam10 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:01 pm

I am a bit surprised that the doctors let you go home at this stage and symptoms of your wife's pregnancy. I would have expected an induction or c-section. I would, just like you, want to give birth without waiting any longer. Can you talk to your doctor and insist and perhaps bring up the revised guidelines of the ACOG (American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) for the definition and management of pre-eclampsia?

Here is a link: ... Pregnancy; check pages 31 and beyond for management and delivery for patients with preeclampsia.
The most important part for your case: hospitalization or delivery for women 37 weeks of gestation...

Here a short summary of the changes on the Preeclampsia Foundation's website: ... eeclampsia
"Guidelines for the timing of delivery have been modified based on data indicating best outcomes for mother and baby. One of the biggest changes in preeclampsia management relates to the timing of delivery in women with preeclampsia without severe features. Studies suggest that the best time of delivery is at 37 weeks of gestation. It has been known for many years that preeclampsia can worsen or become apparent for the first time after delivery. The new guidelines include specific recommendations to improve outcomes for women who have postpartum preeclampsia."

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by jccampot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I am still here with no news, the last days daily urine test gave between 0 and 0,14 of protein. Also the BP has been stable never crossing the line of 13/9. The results of the ultrasound didn’t change from the last one. The baby estimated weight is 2800gr. My wife is now in his 38 + 4 weeks but as she’s uterus is not mature enough doctors says that an induction would not work and they don’t want to do a c-section.

Tomorrow we are leaving the hospital (after 17 days). We don’t want to wait any more, but doctors say that is better to continue with the pregnancy as everything is under control. They always had said that if something gets worse for example she’s urine tests, BP, ultrasound, blood, etc. they will end the pregnancy.
Aren’t we taking too many risks?. We have something clear and that is that our baby must be born next week. If the induction does not work we will ask the doctors to do a c-section. We don’t want to wait any more.

What do you think?


Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by caryn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

I hope the ultrasound tomorrow shows an active, if small, baby. It sounds like things are staying fairly stable.

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by jccampot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 07:58 am

I am updating with the news. The last 3 urine test (morning test not 24hs) gave negative to protein. She’s BP in the day is usually 13-8 but usually at nights se has between 13-9 and 13-10. The bood test were ok too.

Last Saturday (36 weeks + 6) we had another ultrasound to check the placenta and how the baby is feeding. The baby is ok (2430gr). Some values of the placenta are on upper limit but not enough to be induced to born now. On Friday we have another ultrasound to check again.

If things don’t change much they will wait until week 38 (next sunday) otherwise it may be induced on Friday.
I will keep you updated as days pass.

Regards to everyone.

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by caryn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:04 pm

How are things now?

Babies who are small for gestational age are common with preeclampsia. It is also more common in first babies.

Please keep us posted as you're able.

Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by jccampot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 06:55 am


Thank you for your reply. Yes she has been diagnosed with preeclampsia as she had two readings of BP of 14/9 in 6 hours and the 24 urine test gave 0.41. She also has some swelling but not much. As you can see their symptoms are not too strong.
Today she is collecting again hers 24 hours urine to do the exam. Also tomorrow she has a ultrasound to check the baby and the placenta. One thing I did not motion is that the baby is quite small (percentile10). At the beginning of she’s 36 week the baby weight was 2200gr according to the ultrasound. Something to have into consideration is that my wife is not too tall (151cm).
I did not say but this is our first son.

I will keep you updated as the days pass.


Re: Preeclampsia - to many precauntions?

Post by sam10 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 03:18 pm

Hello and welcome.

I am glad to hear that the doctors are being so cautious and are keeping your wife for observation (and no, they are not being overly cautious). Preeclampsia can move very fast, so don't be surprised if suddenly the doctors will announce that it is time for delivery. Have the doctors diagnosed your wife officially with preeclampsia? The criteria for diagnosis are two BP readings of 140/90 measured twice six hours apart and 300mg or more of protein in a 24 hour urine collection.

Here is also a list of all other symptoms to look out for. Report all of these to the doctors and nurses, so they know what is going on:

Preeclampsia can move very fast and I assume at this point, they will keep your wife until delivery. Doctors usually will not wait for delivery, especially not beyond 38 weeks with the symptoms your wife is experiencing. They might even consider delivery at 37 weeks.

Please keep us updated as you are able.