What to do when docs disagree???

Post a reply

:
In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you enter both of the words displayed into the text field underneath.
Smilies
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review
   

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: What to do when docs disagree???

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by buffy » Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:20 am

I am still new to pe ans am learning all that I can, but I do know that my bp generaly ran high. In fact they actually refused to give me birth control at a regular annual becaue it was high just a year or so ago. When I became pregnant it seemed to maintain 130/77, then in the second trimester it was 110/70 constantly. Now it has began to jump quite a bit even spiking 150/100-the doctor immediately reacted and started tests. I'm telling you this because it you started with a low bp pre preg and now it is so high you should definately be treated. It seems funny to me that they would let it go so long now. THey have found that my bp jump thus far is either streess related or it is the onset of pre-e(but unfortunately we have to wait to see). You definately need to be treated, and as I found out sometimes you have to demand it.
I hope that this helps you in some way.
Buffy
Audrey DD 12/16/03

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by jjbeck » Fri Nov 14, 2003 06:17 am

At my peris office on Wed, it was 150/100. He said that is not too high. Unless the diastolic was 110 or more on a reg basis, he would not med right away. He also wants to wait until I am completely off the steroids to see if there is a difference.
I will be on 5 mg on monday for 7 days and then be done. They also want me to bring in my bp cuff to be sure it is accurate.
He definatly seems to be a " lets wait and see" type of guy.
Thanks guys
Jen


Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by taras mom » Fri Nov 14, 2003 02:45 am

As if you needed one more "I agree," I agree. I was nowhere near 150/111 when I was hospitalized with full-blown PE. However they want to treat it, you can't just wait for it to go down. Take care!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by akemt » Thu Nov 13, 2003 05:17 am

I agree with Sherry and Anne, they are right!

What it is called doesn't matter half as much as how they treat you and your condition.

And, my bp was just kind of randomly jumping around and I was already having placenta problems! Not even a steady high bp like yours! H

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by sherry fisher » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:28 am

I have to agree with Anne...Not coming from a Dr. here but my OB put me on meds at 10 weeks with a BP of 143/95. A high BP can cause damage to a placent early on as well as later in a pregnancy! (if I am correct there..help me out ladies!) Your BP's now are dangerous for you and your baby!! PERIOD! There is some dose that can bring your BP down, while not too far. That may be something that has to be worked with and figured out, but in the long run, again, safer for you and the baby!

**Not a Doctors opinion here!! lol

GOOD LUCK! We are still working on getting my meds at the right level. And just getting the right meds. Period! Its tough! I think you and I are about the same in gestation?!?! Keep us informed on what happens.


Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by annegarrett » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:13 am

Also not a doctor but I would definitely DEFINITELY get on antihypertensives. They can be adjusted if for some reason your BP goes too low (cut in half, in quarters, in grains) but you can die if it goes too high. It is already way too high, in my (not a doctor) opinion.

I don't care what they call it--they should treat it.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by jjbeck » Thu Nov 13, 2003 07:17 am

Thanks for the good advise. I will keep an eye things.
I know ultimatly we are responsible for ourselves.

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by akemt » Wed Nov 12, 2003 08:20 am

JJ,

Laura always gives good advice, btw [;)] She is one of the resident hypertension specialists in training! j/k [:D]

And I agree with Ileana about the BP #s...My OB, in consult with peri's, would have delivered my baby if the majority of my bp's were in the 150/100+ range. He might have been a little over-cautious, but I had no doubts about my care when I was with him. He sent me in to L&D for observation every time my bp hit a new "bench mark" that we had set after it got in the 140/90's. Definately make some decisions about your care, discuss your personal "bench marks" and I don't know what else to say but GOOD LUCK!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by laura » Wed Nov 12, 2003 06:50 am

Here's my thoughts, for what it's worth. I'd go with the OB on this one. The existing litertature on the subject, (and our own experts here) concur that hypertension before 20 weeks is and should be considered chronic hypertension. I have essential hypertension that complicates my pregnancies, but for me, the hypertension doesn't necessarily 42 days after my kids are born.

On one level, I wouldn't say that it matters what the origin is of the hypertension, but there are preconceived ideas about what those things mean to the people who will treat you. One doc will say it's just chronic hypertension, and not worry about your pressures, another will say it's chronic htn, we'll watch closely. One doc will say 'PIH", no danger in that, others will say "PIH" lets see her twice a week before it turns into preeclampsia.

YOUR job is to make sure that regardless of what label they throw at you, that they take it seriously, ykwim? The boundaries do sort of blur- regardless, you're going to want them to ACT in the same way- frequent monitoring, frequent level II Ultrasounds, frequent visits.

Just for fancy situations like this, I bought Chesley's Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy- the pregnancy hypertension 'Bible'. You can mention to your cardio that Chesley's (which he or she should know or own) says on page 546 in the second edition, that hypertension before 20 weeks is considered chronic hypertension, and ask why your situation is different than that. (after they rule out cardiomyopathy, which is a whole different kettle of fish)

My other thought is that yes, medicines can make your pressure go too low, by reducing placental perfusion and causing growth restriction. That's not good. But they can watch for that through ultrasounds checking your baby's growth and adjust your dose accordingly.

I'm absolutely not a doctor- I just had a second pregnancy strikingly like yours- hyperemesis, pulse so fast that I couldn't walk by 26 weeks, hypertension, the whole works. A lot of it was cleared up with meds.

Whew! Was that a mouthful, or what? Take care, and let us know what happens!


Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

Re : What to do when docs disagree???

Post by ileana » Wed Nov 12, 2003 05:44 am

I think it doesn't matter. You will know whether it's PIH if it goes away within 6 weeks postpartum.

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03

Top