37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by paljane8 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 08:09 pm

Hey Tomika,

I am very concerned for you. Was the NST non-reactive? Were you given a BPP (bio-physical profile) as well as the NST?

I was like you. I had PIH and vomitting at the end. Did they do blood work to rule out HELLP? My NST's and BPP's were marginal. PIH is nothing to mess with. If you come up shy in your kick counts go back to L&D immediately. If you feel worse go in asap. Please take good care and be over cautious!

Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)

Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by julie f » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:53 am


Just wanted to say that prayers are with you and your baby for a safe and healthy delivery! I can imagine how scary it must be as you are so close and just don't want anything else to go wring. Like everyone has already said, please don't hesitate to head to L&D if your symptoms worsen.

Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe

Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by laura » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:32 am

I think, too, they're going to consider how high the pressure is, and like the Catherine said, if and how much protein you're spilling in the decision to induce or wait. When I looked at my medical records after my first PE pregnancy, my doctor had asked me about my headaches, and those were also used to decide when to induce, too.

And I agree with the other Catherine, too- at this point, it's probably a good idea to be watching closely that things are getting worse- headaches that won't go away, blurred vision- right uppper sided pain/right shoulder pain, more vomiting, etc.

Any of those things, go straight in, ok?

Let us know how things go- and make a note of your BP and if and how much protein they find with your next visit. Take care! I'm keeping m fingers crossed for a safe and quick delivery!

DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)

Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by akemt » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:22 am


I had PIH with my last pregnancy. I was diagnosed around 28/29 weeks pg and was induced at 36 1/2 weeks. The high BP also caused a condition called Oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid) that had to be monitored very closely. I would call your OB's office (whether the OB is there or not) and inform them of your diagnosis. You should be getting checked about twice a week now, if not delivered since you are at such a great gestation. Things they should be checking: your urine for protien (probably a 24 hr), a NST to watch the baby and/or and ultrasound, and they should be drawing blood to watch for increasing signs of your body not coping well with the high BP.

How is your BP running lately?

Bring up all your concerns with your doctor, write down all your questions and comments and take them with you to be sure they all get covered. And like Catherine said, watch very closely for any increase of symptoms www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp and go to the ER if you experience anything new or if anything worsens. Don't wait around for you next apt because things can change drastically within hours. Be good about your rest! And feel free to ask any more questions.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004

Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by tika239 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:17 am

Thanks Catherine,

I actually went to L&D on my own because I was throwing up and ended up in a puddle of water and didn't know if my water had broken, it seemed too much water to be urine. I was too busy throwing up to notice the water gushing out. This was in the middle of the night so I didn't call the office because I knew what they would tell me. Then the BP was noticed and baby's movement wasn't reactive. My final diagnosis was PIH and my water doesn't look like it had broken. My regular OB is out of town until Monday so I'm sure he's not even aware of all of this. Isn't that always how it is?

A LOT more than I bargained for.

Thanks again for your response. Any other responses are appreciated.


Re : 37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by catherine » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:08 am

Hi Tomika, I totally understand how nervous you are. You didn't say if your regular OB was the one who sent you to the hospital. If so, he should understand that you are concerned. Why not go ahead and give his practice a call. Perhaps if you chat with his nurse, or better still the OB himself you can get some idea about what their plans might be. I think that it isn't unreasonable to expect that they will induce you rather than make you wait on bedrest. In the meantime, watch your BP, keep an eye out for worstening symptoms, eg. headache, abdominal pain, visual disturbances and DO YOUR KICK COUNTS. That way you can track your baby and be able to notice any changes. If something worries you, call the office or go to L&D. That is what all those people are supposed to do... look after moms and their babies... so make sure that they are watching you for you and Gabriella.

Lots of luck, you are so close to having your baby.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)

37 weeks Diagnosed PIH Scared and Worried

Post by tika239 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:47 am

I was hospitalized earlier this week for PIH, Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. My BP is controlled with rest but when I get up to do almost anything my BP starts to creep up. I have an electronic BP cuff to monitor my BP.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, will be 38 weeks on Wednesday 1/7/04. The OB I saw in the hospital is very high strung and makes me nervous plus doesn't give out much info and I was too tired and in a daze to even think straight to ask him questions. I have an appointment with my regular OB on Tuesday so I will discuss all of this with him then but I can't stop thinking about this. I had another scare while in the hospital with the baby's movement so I'm extra worried that something could go wrong. I have a strange feeling that this baby needs out sooner rather than later but this could just be my nerves.

My question is, should I expect to be induced soon because of this or is it more likely that they will keep me on bedrest until I go into labor? I was having regular contractions in the hospital but they weren't strong enough to dilate my cervix and I wasn't dilated any at that time. I'm still having lots of contractions but they aren't increasing in intensity. I am assuming that they didn't induce me in the hospital this week because I wasn't dilated and BP can be controlled with rest.

Again, I plan to talk about this with my OB on Tuesday but I'm so worried and scared for baby.

If anyone has experience or has knowledge about this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

Tomika & Baby Gabriella EDD 1/21/04