Doing research: please share your experience

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: Doing research: please share your experience

Re: Doing research: please share your experience

Post by Raposa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 09:18 am

Pre-e with my first was mild, and I bounced back entirely by the 6 week postpartum appointment. As far as breastfeeding, I'm an overproducer both times.

With the 2nd, we never got as far as "official" pre-e, but I had a lot more troubles with hypertension during pregnancy and after. I'm up to 5 months and only now seeing some relief from the high blood pressures I had throughout. The biggest factor has been the relationship between blood pressure and depression. As my hypertension has been better or worse controlled, so has gone my energy and mood. I'm glad we found a postpartum doula. She's still coming by once every two weeks just to help me get a break and catch up on things.

Re: Doing research: please share your experience

Post by LBD30 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:42 pm

I developed pre e at 32 weeks and delivered via emergency c-section at 34 weeks due to worsening pre e. My kidneys were not producing urine, I had pulmonary edema, clonus, and BP that would not go down even with medication. I was also on my way to HELP. On top of it, the reason I went to the ER, was because I developed Bells Palsy which developed due to the swelling. My daughter was in the nicu for 2 weeks with normal preemie issues. I was in the hospital for 8 days myself because my bp would not stabilize. I remember feeling a disconnect from my daughter. I didn't see her for over 24 hrs after birth due to being on mag sulfate. I was feeling so sick myself, I remember feeling guilty when I didn't visit her in the nicu. I also felt the pressure to pump and breast feed although my body didn't produce much. I would try to pump every 3 hrs even though I was exhausted and sick. When we were all home on top of all the normal new mom woos, I feel my experience really put me into a depression. My face was not healed due to the Bell's palsy, I was on bp meds for 2 months, I couldn't breast feed something I really wanted to do, and mostly I was grieving over not having a normal birth experience. I think it took me about 2 months to feel bonded to my daughter. For a lot of us, it's a rough beginning, but it got better. My daughter is almost 2 and perfect. I have decided that I will not get pregnant again because I can't handle the trauma if this were to happen again.

Doing research: please share your experience

Post by alaskamommy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 04:36 pm

Hello to all,

I am doing research for a novel I'm writing. It's a story about a mother who travels to Alaska to be with her estranged daughter who is hospitalized with PE.

Just FYI, I'm a member of the forum from a few years ago, when I had PE for the 3rd time. I'd been on strict bedrest (with 4 kids and a deployed husband) for 3 months when my symptoms REALLY kicked in. My doctor was very nice, but frankly wasn't all that concerned. I *knew* something was wrong - I'm sure you all know that gut feeling I'm talking about. I really believe this forum saved my life, because the people here gave me the courage to really insist on being seen. I literally had to break down in tears before my doc would repeat the blood tests. She sent me home but called a few hours later and told me (lo and behold) that yes, I had gotten much worse. I ended up with HELLP as well, and when I got to the hospital in the morning to be delivered at exactly 36 weeks, my BP was ridiculous, the blood tests were administered again and my doc walked into my room yelling for the nurses to get me on the (dreaded) mag sulfate and into the operating room NOW. I was very fortunate - my sweet boy is 5 years old now and had very few medical problems. I have some residual liver/kidney issues and it looks like I'll be on a dieuretic for the duration. I have a lot of "female" problems too, and my doc is actually advising a hysterectomy. She said if I get pregnant again she'll kill me. Jokingly. Sort of.

So anyway, I know my history and how I felt when I came home. But I would love to hear from anyone else who'd like to share their experience of the first week or so, especially right after they got home from the hospital. I will keep all info totally confidential. Specificaly, I'd like to know if anyone else had difficulty nursing (my body had been through too much to produce more than a tiny bit of milk), how long you stayed puffy (ugh), your level of energy (or total lack thereof) and basically how you felt and looked. I know I looked like I'd taken up streetfighting, but that was just me.

Thanks in advance, and hugs to everyone going through it still.

Christina Seine