Specialist or not

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: Specialist or not

Re : Specialist or not

Post by lgw » Tue Jun 19, 2007 09:47 am

Ditto everything Kara said. I'll email you directly.


Re : Specialist or not

Post by kteacher » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. I just needed someone else to tell me I should see a specialist. My OB made it seem all so simple.

Re : Specialist or not

Post by kara » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 am

For sure you should see a specialist. We suggest that all women who have had preeclampsia or HELLP, see a specialist. They can run underlying disorders testing before you get pregnant to see if there was some underlying reason you developed HELLP, and if there is they can help you get treated. It's not just about checking your baselines (though that is important, too. Check out this web page for Peri/MFM specialists in your area. www.smfm.org I'm always wary of doctors who don't want to refer, particularly when the history shows that the problem would be out of their scope. Very few OB's ever get to see HELLP in a patient. SO unless he/she has MUCH experience with HELLP and severe PE, then off to the specilaist you should go if possible. Much of the time a peri/MFM will oversee your care. So you will have regular appointments with your normal OB, and a few appointments with the PERI. If something looks funky, the peri will order additional testing, and make sure you and baby get appropriate care. I felt so much better after seeing a perinatologist that I liked, when trying to decide about having another child. Good luck!

Specialist or not

Post by kteacher » Mon Jun 18, 2007 00:22 am

If you read my post under "new to group" you know that I am considering a 2nd child after severe HELLPS with my first (luckily she was born full term and healthy). My current doctor--I was turned over to him when mine moved)said he could tell me the statistics the same as a doctor I asked to be referred to in another city. He said that he would run baseline liver tests and check platelets around 28 weeks (he does this for every pregnancy). Should I still seek a specialist for a consultation at least?
I know doctors can't be suggests on the forum but if any one knows of a good one in Northwest Alabama please let me know. Huntsville or Birmingham would be okay (see email address in my profile).