Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Books, documentaries

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Books, documentaries

Postby dja » Tue Jul 05, 2005 05:38 pm

by dja (895 Posts), Tue Jul 05, 2005 05:38 pm

I have been working on a photo/written essay about my experience with preeclampsia and being pregnant after a loss. I've been toying with it for a while, and I'm sure I won't have it done any time soon. I was wondering if anyone knows how you submit an article like this to popular magazines?

I was also thinking recently how great it would be if someone with film talent would make a documentary focusing on the experience of PE survivors. I thought it should be mandatory viewing for any med student considering OB to hear from women who have lived the PE experience. Who knows, maybe I'll do one myself at some point.

Danae
Mom to Amelia, b/d 03/19/04 @ 21 weeks/5 days due to severe PE with elevated liver enzymes

Mom to Malcolm, b/ 04/02/05 & 37 wks/1 day - no PE!
dja

Re : Books, documentaries

Postby lucy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 00:32 am

by lucy (4706 Posts), Wed Jul 06, 2005 00:32 am

Both great ideals, as far as submitting a written essay to a popular magazine you have a few choices you could get the addresse and just send it in, or write to the letter section they always have in front (where they print the stories/letters people send in) and share some of your experience while letting them know you would like to send in a story about your experience I think I have links for a few of the magazines I will check and post them for you if I do, the other thing is you could also call and find out specifically who you would need to submit your story to to make sure it got attention instead of accidently getting tossed, I know none of that info is very helpful but I will try and find the links to the magazines editors/writers for you. Good luck and let us know if you end up doing it.

Lucy (18) -Mom to Sebanna Sarine 6 lbs 7 ozs and 20 inches long born April 9 2005 at 37 wks edd and 36 wks on exam following 3 1/2 wks of hosplization after being diagnosed with pre-eclampsia again at 31 wks April 9-May 20 2005 Ill never understand why we lost her but I will forever love her

Dh deployed until Dec or longer

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus 1lb 9.9 ozs 12 inches long stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8 Angie 7
lucy

Re : Books, documentaries

Postby jillmushet » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:52 am

by jillmushet (860 Posts), Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:52 am

Hi Danae: Many members have talked of an interest in publishing their stories/writing books. I wish you all the best luck for a successful project. I love your idea for a PE documentary that could be shown to medical students.

I don't have experience getting published, so I don't have advice for you. I like Lucy's thougths.....

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange