Post Reply FAQ Members Login

In Los Angeles

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

In Los Angeles

Postby greyshield » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 am

by greyshield (57 Posts), Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:07 am

Does anyone know of any activities happening for October 15 in LA? I have been looking for something to be a part of and have come up empty. Is there a way I can do something on my own, like for my comunity or something? Thanks in advance for any information.
greyshield

Re : In Los Angeles

Postby akemt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 01:23 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Sep 28, 2005 01:23 pm

Shannon, I just emailed a link to this post to Jill Mushet, a member of the Fundraising Action Team, as well as Julie (pelote77), the Southern California Local Group Coordinator. I know Julie is busy with family this week, but hopefully you will get word from one or both of these ladies soon. Thank you for your offer to help!
akemt

Postby jillmushet » Wed Sep 28, 2005 02:13 pm

by jillmushet (860 Posts), Wed Sep 28, 2005 02:13 pm

Hi Shannon:

Thank you for posting! I know of no scheduled activites for Oct 15th in LA. However, many members have had small events with family and friends to raise money for PF. Bunko parties and garage sales have been successful in the past. One state group just had a meet-and-greet at their local zoo. These local activites are great for raising money and awareness.

BTW, I am hosting a golf tournament in Phoenix on Friday, Oct. 14th. We would love to register more golfers and more hole sponsorships....

Going on to bigger events...

-In November, our national fundraiser, Saving Grace: A Night of Hope will take place in Minnesota. Jaime Nolan is the coordinator for this inaugural event. Jaime is securing national sponsors and items for the silent auction. If you know of a company that would like to donate, please contact jaime@preeclampsia.org.

-The second annual Preeclampsia Foundation Walk-A-Thon will take place in cities across the country on May 13, 2006. Coordinators in each city volunteer to organize at their site. (There is a separate WAT section on the forum.)

-Our first Schwan's fundraiser begins on Oct 8th. Everyone is asked to participate, and please ask friends and family to participate as well. More info is on this fundraising forum.

-Our 'Get The Word Out Campaign' is on-going and we now have 100,000 brochures available for distribution. Do you know a doctor's office that would like to offer preeclampsia brochures? Carol Hamilton is our national coordinator for this on-going campaign.

That brings you up-to-date on our national activities! As you can see, there are many ways to support awareness and fundraising. Every effort means a lot! Thank you again for your interest.
jillmushet

Postby julie f » Sat Oct 01, 2005 06:28 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Oct 01, 2005 06:28 pm

Shannon,

I'm so sorry I haven't responded to this sooner! Like Catherine said, I've got family in town right now, so I've been a little LOT MIA. After everything wraps up on Sunday though, I will see what I can find out for you. I know many hospitals have memorial type services or support events for parents in honor of this day. I will make some calls on Monday and see if I can find anything out. I will post back here either way next week. You can also email me at pelote77@aol.com .
julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Oct 05, 2005 01:14 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Oct 05, 2005 01:14 am

Shannon and other So Cal Ladies:

I made phone calls and sent emails today, I will let you know when I get some responses.

julie f

Postby greyshield » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 am

by greyshield (57 Posts), Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 am

Thanks so much!
greyshield

Postby julie f » Thu Oct 06, 2005 01:23 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Thu Oct 06, 2005 01:23 pm

Well, I have to say my search was more than a little frustrating... When I would say, "Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month," the response was always, "Excuse me?"

There were a few exceptions and some very compassionate people though:

The March of Dimes, LA Chapter, is not having anything for October but November is Prematurity Awareness Month and they will be hosting several events. The contact is going to get back to me with a schedule and you can email me if you are interested.

The Compassionate Friends organization quickly responded with local contact numbers and I am awaiting a few calls back to see if they know of anything.

The event that I found:

Healing Hearts and SHARE have joined together to hold a "Walk to Remember" on October 15th in Irvine, CA. "We will walk for the steps they will never take." I just found out that registration for the walk actually ended on 10/1 but the organizer said that they will not turn anyone away, you just might not end up with the right T-shirt size. There is a registration fee of $20 which goes directly to the co-sponsoring organizations. This fee includes your T-shirt and a program in which you can have your child's name listed.

If you are interested in this, I would urge you to contact them right away as the event is so near. The contact info is ocwalktoremember@earthlink.net or (714) 473-4739

I am sorry that there is not more to pass on. Perhaps those of us in So CA could get together next year to do something about this?
julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Oct 06, 2005 01:54 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Thu Oct 06, 2005 01:54 pm

I just realized that I didn't mention this in my last post...

I do plan on attending the Walk to Remember in Irvine. I'm not sure that Dh will be able to get the day off, but Jack and I are going to head down. (I forgot to add that it is a $15 registration fee for children) If anyone else is interested and wants to meet there or possibly carpool, email me and we can make arrangements pelote77@aol.com .

julie f

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange