New/Reply FAQ Members Login

NYC Marathon Fundraiser

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

NYC Marathon Fundraiser

Postby jill siegel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 02:06 am

Miracle to Marathon: Join Jill On The Journey!

My name is Jill Siegel and, like many of us, I am lucky to still be here with my husband and our wonderful daughter, Brooklyn. Brooklyn was born by emergency c-section at 30 weeks when I began experiencing many of the symptoms of preeclampsia – high BP, protein in my urine, upper quadrant pain, blurred vision, headaches.

But after the delivery, which was supposed to “cure” my symptoms, my blood pressure continued to rise leading me toward HELLP Syndrome, a coma, multiple organ failure, and a stroke. After many weeks of ups and downs and a slow recovery, I was “well” enough to go to a rehab hospital where after a few weeks I was finally taken off of my feeding tube and eventually learned to walk, eat, and dress myself again. After a total of 98 days of hospitalization and 3 months of daily outpatient rehab, I was “released” only to still struggle with holding, feeding, and carrying my beautiful baby.

As we approach the two-year anniversary of our daughter’s birth and my illness, I have decided to combine my continued recovery work with a fund- and awareness-raising effort for the Foundation. On November 5, 2006, I will run in the New York City marathon – less than two years since I was unable to walk or even hold my scrawny 2 lb., 9 oz. baby girl. I am seeking sponsorships of my effort and all donations will be forwarded to the Preeclampsia Foundation.

You can help me in my efforts in any of the following ways:

1. Send a check or money order made payable to "Preeclampsia Foundation" to: Jill Siegel, 3217 W. Leland #1W, Chicago, IL 60625
2. Send me an e-mail at siegel.jill@gmail.com for copies of my solicitation letter to personalize and distribute to your friends and loved ones to assist in my fundraising.
3. If you live in the New York City area, come out and support me on the race course.
4. Keep your fingers crossed for me on November 5!! I am a first-time marathoner and if (I mean, when!) I cross that finish line, it will be a huge accomplishment!!
jill siegel

Re : NYC Marathon Fundraiser

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:52 am

Jill,

I have met you and you are an INCREDIBLE woman! I support you whole heartedly and will help you in your quest to help raise awareness of PE and funding for PE research! I cannot believe it has been less than 2 years since you went through this traumatic event and you are attempting something so wonderfully life changing! What a HUGE accomplishment to even be training for this event! (which humbles me into doing better with my own exercise plans)

You are TRULY an Inspiration to us all!!! I admire your courage and strength to push forward in life and grab the gusto! I am grateful to the Man Above that you and your daughter are still here and that I have been able to get to know you both online and in person!

I have already emailed you but send me a copy of your solicitation letter and I will help you! I look forward to updates on your training and how else we can help you! Thank you!!!!

timelessbeauty

Postby angelkat » Mon Aug 14, 2006 09:06 am

Jill, WOW!!!... Send me a copy of your solicitation letter and I will also see what I can do
angelkat

Postby allic » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 am

Hi All! I was thinking that anyone with any contacts at any major corporations (or not so major ones) may be able to get them to sponsor Jill in the Marathon. Tell them your story, tell them Jill's amazing story and help her reach her goal of $50,000!

Jill, let me know if there is a special shirt or t-shirt that you might be wearing...maybe we can offer the corporate sponsors a logo on your shirt. Let me know.

I am going to send Jill's story and plans to run the marathon to everyone in my email contact list (and ask them to forward it to their friends), as well as by regular mail to everyone else I know. Just another idea of how we can help Jill.

Good Luck!!!

Love,
Your PE Sister,
Alli

allic

Postby jillmushet » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:21 am

What an amazing goal!! Your determination is incredible! I look forward to getting your solicitation letter and sharing your story.

Good luck!
jillmushet

Postby amaara » Mon Aug 14, 2006 01:43 pm

Jill, do you have a brochure or signage created for people to pass out? If you don't, I might be able to create something for you. I do graphic design part time. I will be e-mailing you about this.
amaara

Postby misscoleyp » Mon Aug 14, 2006 04:03 pm

Jill, please email me the information. misscoleyp@yahoo.com.

I am targeting local offices within my company. Are you in Chicago? My HQ is on Wacker St downtown.

Thanks,
Nicole
misscoleyp

Postby Dawn D » Mon Aug 14, 2006 04:14 pm

Hi Jill!
So wonderful to hear how far you have come in the two years since developing PreE/HELLP. What strength! I, too, continued to suffer in the hospital for weeks after my daughter was delivered.

You are inspiring! Best wishes as you pursue your goals. I will do what I can in support of your first race.

Dawn D

Postby jill siegel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 04:41 am

Hi all!

Thanks for the positive feedback and support. I will e-mail you individually as requested with my solicitation letter.

I appreciate the generous offers of help. We are all in this together to help keep others from experiencing our nightmares!!
jill siegel

Postby lucy21 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 05:13 am

Hi Jill,
WOW... you are AMAZING! I am in Australia, but would like to help and support you in your goal for %50,000.
Can you let me know what is the most practical way I could send donations to you.
All the VERY VERY best.
Love Lucy
lucy21

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange