Post Reply FAQ Members Login

NYC Marathon Fundraiser

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : NYC Marathon Fundraiser

Postby hmoore » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:26 am

Congratulations Jill! You are a inspiration to all of us. We are all so proud of you!!
hmoore

Postby denise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 01:59 pm

Congratulations Jill!! You are truly an inspiration.
denise

Postby sonja » Mon Nov 06, 2006 04:32 pm

You rock!! What an inspiration you are. Everyone who knows you is better for it.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby annegarrett » Mon Nov 06, 2006 05:31 pm

We are so proud of your hardwork. I have followed this post very closely and shared it regularly with my fiance Steve and we both have been so moved by your strength of character and your willpower. It sure makes my moaning about my ongoing hip pain seem petty! We are all so inspired by your testament to the power of the human spirit!
annegarrett

Postby jill siegel » Tue Nov 28, 2006 06:22 am

“I came, I ran, I conquered,” – that is what the finisher’s t-shirts for the NYC Marathon say and that is how I feel after meeting my goal of finishing the race on November 5th! When I approached the starting line with more than 38,000 other folks, I was moved by the fact that twice that many women’s lives are lost every year to preeclampsia. I was thankful to be there in New York City on a wonderfully sunny day with several friends and family also there to cheer me on – and to make sure I crossed the finish line!

I did cross it about 6 and a half hours after starting off on the Verranzano Narrows Bridge in Staten Island. Although I was well behind other fellow runners (such as Lance Armstrong!), I was still able to enjoy the excitement, energy, and enthusiasm of the cheering crowds and bands along the course. When I reached Central Park, my “fan club” was there encouraging me and even Brooklyn was able to give me a smile and a wave! I had running mates on several spots along the course – my husband ran across the 2 miles of the Queensboro Bridge with me which was the least pleasant stretch of the course (very dark!) and other friends and family ran from the Bronx into Central Park with me.

The weekend in New York was wonderful and I was thrilled to be invited to participate in a photo shoot and interview with Runner’s World magazine as they highlighted “survivors” who were competing in the race. All of the others there were cancer survivors and I hope my story will stick out like a sore thumb and bring more attention to preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome.

I am grateful to an overwhelming number of you who have shown financial support and encouragement to me and the Preeclampsia Foundation as I prepared for the race. After my illness and all those weeks of full-time bed-rest, I struggled when I first started running again - my legs felt like 2-ton weights! As they began to feel lighter, I knew my body would never be the same again. Although, one-by-one, doctors were giving me “clearance,” I couldn’t wrap my mind around the idea that I had “recovered.” So completing the NYC Marathon became a huge goal for marking my “recovery.” Even then, with the goal set, I was still struggling with long runs and came home in tears many days! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the Foundation because once I began seeking sponsorships from friends and family to benefit the Foundation, I was able to re-energize my training – always staying focused on the fact that hopefully what I was doing would help other families avoid a birth experience like ours – or even worse. The support and encouragement that I got from all of you has had an immeasureable impact on me!

And, I am happy to report that, to date, I have raised nearly $11,000 for the Foundation. My experience was so rewarding that I would love to do another marathon (or at least a half-marathon!) – so fellow runners, let’s unite and pick our race!
jill siegel

Postby timelessbeauty » Tue Nov 28, 2006 09:56 am

Oh dear, a challenge set forth to get healthy. LOL .. I'm going to have to meet it because I want to be around for a long time to see my kids grow up now that I have sucessfully brought 3 our of 4 of them into the world. I realize my PE journey doesn't end with the birth of my children, I need continued self-maintenance in order to enjoy what I have brought forth.

Thank you so very much Jill for being such an inspiration, sharing your journey (trials and triumphs) and for doing so much to bring awareness to the cause.

What about, the first weekend before the WATs is the Mini Marathon here in town. It's too short a training time and the 2007 event it sold out, but what about 2008?? http://www.500festival.com/marathon/EntryFeesandInformation.asp They offer a "Team Challenge" and training sessions along the way to check your progress. There are events the night before and all around because this is in association with the 500. Maybe we can have tickets to the race auctioned off to help get sponsors for us? Hmmm .... What options are available in your area??

I have asthma, extra weight, and low budget for this year to participate but I could see about being ready by 2008. But for others, what do you think we can do??
timelessbeauty

Postby for faith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:38 am

Wow, you are truely an inspiration to all!!! I think it is incredible and honor to all who have been affected by PE!!! Thank you!!!
for faith

Postby jill siegel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Thanks, once again, for all the support! I wanted to let everyone know that there is a written and photographic recap of the race on my website - www.bigapplemiraclemarathon.com

Check it out and hopefully you will come away inspired and ready to put on your own running shoes!!

Happy holidays to all!
jill siegel

Postby denise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:46 am

Thank you so much Jill!!!! You rock!
denise

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange