Letter to Oprah

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Letter to Oprah

Postby kdreher » Fri Feb 06, 2004 08:13 am

I have not visited in quite some time, but you are all never far from my mind. I recently rec'd the email in regards to the loss of another mom/child! I vow to send this letter to Oprah.com every week until she hears me...I hope I have not stepped on any toes, and even though I do not know you all personally (Anne included) it is time we ask those with the backing and $$ to help!!

This is what I sent today (limited to 2000 chrac.)..

Dear Oprah,

I am writing to you, no pleading, that you read this letter! Did you know that over 6 million women every year get preeclampsia in the world with it being a leading cause of women and their babies dying during pregnancy?

Preeclampsia is a disorder that occurs only during pregnancy and the postpartum period and affects both the mother and the unborn baby. Affecting at least 5-8% of all pregnancies, it is a rapidly progressive condition characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine.

This is something that I experienced in 1995. At the age of 25, I was just 26 weeks + 1 day gestation and my seemingly wonderful, healthy pregnancy took a turn for the worst with out any warning. My blood pressure rose to 160/140 and I suffered from two grand maul seizures. My body was shutting down and the only cure was to take my son early. I had also developed the HELLP syndrome. Although I survived, my son passed away in my arms just two weeks later.

Many, many women have stories that envelope some form of eclampsia. Anne E. Garrett started an organization after the HELLP syndrome almost took her life in 1996. Anne writes, “we started this organization because there was not one there for us when we needed it” and in my opinion, there still is not enough information out there for us women. The Preeclampsia Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit operating organization established in the year 2000 to promote safe pregnancy and post-partum research, public education and patient support. We can use as much exposure as possible and always welcome financial and operating support. Thanks to Anne, many of us have found a place to tell our story. Though I do not know Anne or many of the women well that belong to the organization, we all have something in common.

Oprah, I am asking you because of your notoriety and passion for women’s issue, as well as, your contact with other celebrity who may have dealt with this issue secretly, to hear my story, Anne’s story and all those who have been through this. We need your support in the fight for women and children’s health and safety.

Kristine Stevens

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Re : Letter to Oprah

Postby josiah1112 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 01:06 pm

Good for U! and us! I actually had e- mailed Oprah, but I never got a
response. In early January I saw a segment on "Mystery diseases"
on the Montel Williams Show. They presented a woman who had to get
delivered at 23 weeks and her daughter made it! The little girl is
fine. The only thing is that she wears glasses. - She was very
young around 3. Thanks for sharing,

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03 - 12/4/-03 born @ 26wks Pre e
josiah1112

Postby frasiah » Fri Feb 06, 2004 01:42 pm

One of these fine days Kristine, Oprah will hear us. I like her a lot and maybe I should join you in sending her the letters... Keep up the good work.

Frasiah
DD sev PE
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby natan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:55 pm

[^][^][^][^]. This is a kind of writer that will help us in many ways.

Deborah
natan

Postby shelbys mom » Fri Feb 06, 2004 04:25 pm

Excellent letter, hopefully she will respond, thanks so much

Kim, mom to Shelby 32 weeker due to pree-e, and hellp, now a crazy 2 year old!!!
shelbys mom

Postby denise » Fri Feb 06, 2004 07:46 pm

Great letter! I htink I will work on penning my own too. I've started working on a letter to be sent to pg magazines about HELLP, but haven't finished it. This gives me inspiration. Hopefully you will get a response from Oprah!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby laura » Fri Feb 06, 2004 09:58 pm

Great letter! You guys keep it up... hopefully somebody somewhere is getting all this, and collecting each letter thinking it over.

Who knows, maybe the letter you send will be the one that firms it up and makes them decide to help save moms and babies. Good work [:D]

Laura
Moderator/Alaska Chapter President

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby taras mom » Sat Feb 07, 2004 00:22 am

Fantastic idea, Kristine! Maybe she'll find time to squeeze preeclampsia in between celebrity interviews and makeover shows.[:(!]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby kdreher » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:24 am

Thanks for the encouragement. Like I said, each week I will send the same letter via her website and MAKE her notice us!! [:)]Even if she could put something about this in her O Magazine! I'd consider sending this to her pal Dr.Phil..maybe get his wife Robin on board...that could be a long shot. I know I get bogged down with life (work, school, my p/t military career and my dogs), but Pre-e/HELLP is something that I will always be associated with and feel passionate about as much as possible.

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Postby natan » Sun May 09, 2004 09:08 pm

Has there been any updates with this subject? Maybe we should try again.

Deborah
natan

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange