Letter to Oprah

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : Letter to Oprah

Postby denise » Tue May 25, 2004 07:52 am

Just FYI, over at the HELLP Syndrome Society, we are trying to get a letter together to begin a campaign of emails/letters to Oprah, Dr. Phil, Ellen, etc. Maybe we could do a mass mailing to those folks from Preeclampsia Foundation members too.

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby josiah1112 » Tue May 25, 2004 09:58 am

Sounds good to me. Let's pick the week.

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Postby kdreher » Mon Jun 07, 2004 07:18 am

I've been mailing both Oprah and Dr Phil. What about The View??? They are all women, I'm going to try them to.

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Postby denise » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:46 am

I came up with a letter of my own as well, and have been sending it once a week to Oprah, Dr. Phil, the ladies on the View, and Ellen. I started 3 weeks ago and will continue to send them until we get heard. It stinks cuz you can only have 2000 characters, so I had to chop off some to get it under the limit.

We had some issues with certain people on the list from HSS, so we all just took it upon ourselves to email those listed above. I'd love to have a letter campaign from here too, that we could all send in one week and have any willing family/friends email as well. Does this sound like a good idea? Someone want to head it up or what? I think it we have someone or a small group of people working on this, we'd actually get it accomplished. I'd be more than willing to help out with this project if we want to do it.[:D]

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby catherine » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:55 am

If you've got a good neat letter perhaps you should consider sending it to some other places too. I was thinking of something like the Diane Rheem (Sp for sure!!) show on NPR (I think that it broadcasts out of one of the Washington DC stations... maybe American University??). Then there is Science Friday, and anything else that anybody listens to. Or even the irritating Berman sisters on Discovery Channel.... the topic isn't so far from their show, sexual activity is invariably a prerequisite for preeclampsia LOL! The reason that I suggest these is that often there is a kind of synergy that comes when a topic is discussed in a couple of places that then draws attention from elsewhere.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby browncow » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:36 am

I've sent letters to Dateline, 20/20, Primetime Live, CBS's 48 Hours, and TLC about HELLP Syndrome and Preeclampsia. I wrote to local (Tampa) media and got a tiny mention on a Fox 13 segment about the March of Dimes and Easter Seals.

I got a response from an independent producer for TLC (Gloria Espisito)because I mentioned my adoption and need for medical history. She wanted to film my reunion with my birthmother (whom I had already found by the time their correpsondence was received)but made no mention of HELLP or Pre-e.

browncow

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange