January 30 Awareness Event / Review

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

January 30 Awareness Event / Review

Postby shellysmomdad » Sat Feb 03, 2007 01:36 pm

Hello Everyone,
My apologies for not posting sooner. Just wanted to share with all how the Awareness Event last Tuesday night went.
In a word: FANTASTIC!
The size of the audience was estimated to be near 100 (some last-minute attendees did not register), evenly divided between healthcare professionals and general public.
First speaker(s) of the evening were the hosts, Dan and Kelly Burich. Kelly told of her experience with pe and HELLP with the birth of her son 18 months ago, and also expressed her frustration with the medical staff failing to listen to her when she was trying to tell them something was wrong. Thankfully, a doctor experienced in pe made the diagnosis in time.
Second speaker of the evening was Lauren Ward Larsen. Although we have heard parts of her presentation in the past, it still is very powerful and emotional. Lauren shared her experience with pe and HELLP, as well as stories of other women (including our daughter Shelly) who battled pe, but were not fortunate enough to survive due to complications. During her presentation, pictures of her and the other women she talked of were shown on the two big projection screens behind her. I heard several gasps from the audience during her presentation.
After a brief intermission, Dr. Stephen Hunter gave his presentation. It was very good, containing more medical content and terminology for those attending for CEU credit.
Closing out the evening was Dave Green, CEO of the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center (MVRBC). He spoke of his daughter's experience with pe last summer.
Overall, it was a great evening. Several pe and HELLP brochures were distributed, as well as registration forms for the upcoming Walk. And, we gained a new Major sponsor for our Walk (MVRBC). It's been suggested that we make this a annual event, as a kick-off for the Walk.
Our efforts to raise awareness will continue.
Thanks.
shellysmomdad

Re : January 30 Awareness Event / Review

Postby rosemary » Sat Feb 03, 2007 02:38 pm

John & Brenda....You two amaze me! Your Awareness Event is a fabulous idea and I have no doubt that it will make a difference in so many lives. All of your volunteer efforts are a beautiful tribute to Shelly's life & memory. Congratulations on the success of the event!
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby grace04 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 03:46 pm

John & Brenda - What wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you that the event went so well. You did an incredible job putting that together on such a short time frame and it sounds like it was amazing. I really wish I could have been there. Shelly would be very proud of her parents - you are making a HUGE difference in the lives of many... probably more lives than you could even imagine.

grace04

Postby sandy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 07:53 pm

John and Brenda,
What an amazing awareness event...you two just don't stop. I have a feeling you're just getting going :)

Congratulations on such a success.

I can't wait to hear how your walk goes in May.
sandy

Postby timelessbeauty » Sun Feb 04, 2007 00:26 am

Thank you to both of you for all that you pour yourselves into to help fight this disease! It is a great example of the power within us to get things accomplished and spread the awareness.

Care to share your notes in how you put this all together? :-)
timelessbeauty

Postby annegarrett » Sun Feb 04, 2007 02:28 pm

I am so proud of you guys and got chills reading your update. I so wish I could have been there!! It sounds like it went absolutely perfectly.

Take care and sending lots of hugs and love!!!
annegarrett

Postby Dawn D » Tue Feb 06, 2007 00:42 am

what a wonderful way to raise awareness! Your efforts are so valuable - thanks for the work you do in making a difference.
Dawn D

Postby denise » Tue Feb 06, 2007 08:52 am

John and Brenda, what a wonderful event. Thank you for all that you do in Shelley's name and raising awareness.
denise

Postby for faith » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:13 am

Wow, that sounds just wonderful!! What great work you are doing in Shelley's honor!! Jan 30th was the 3rd anniversary of my daughter's passing and know all of us "survivors" are thankful for all you do.
for faith

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange