Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Reaching out to our PCOS friends..

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Reaching out to our PCOS friends..

Postby molly419 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 am

by molly419 (990 Posts), Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 am

Would it make sense for the PF to create an alliance with PCOS groups? With PCOS being a "risk-factor" for PE, I am sure that some of these ladies would benefit from all the information/awareness on preeclampsia. Personally, I was never made aware of the risk factors of having PCOS and preeclampsia.
molly419

Re : Reaching out to our PCOS friends..

Postby Dawn D » Tue Feb 27, 2007 04:38 pm

by Dawn D (504 Posts), Tue Feb 27, 2007 04:38 pm

For those who may not know, PCOS stands for Polysystic Ovarian Syndrome - a hormone condition that affects menstral cycle, insuline production, blood pressure among other things. About 5-10% of women in their childbearing years experience this.
It is my understanding that how it relates to PE is that women with PCOS who become pregnant have a higher risk for miscarriage, cancer, gestational diabetes, preg-induced HBP, etc... and can cause premature delivery.

The PCOS foundation does offer opportunities for collaboration on providing patients with info. Not sure what we can orchestrate in the way of an "alliance" at this time,and of course there are several "risk-factor groups" beside this one. Alli might be the better one to reply in regards to this. Anyway, certainly we would want to be a support in providing women important info about risk factors if possible.

Molly, if you have a specific action in mind let me/us know. Thanks!
Dawn D

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange