Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Be on Dr. Phil show to talk about PE?

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Be on Dr. Phil show to talk about PE?

Postby sandy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:11 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:11 pm

Here's a round-about way to get awareness of PE out there. If anyone is interested in possibly being on the Dr. Phil show to discuss challenges they're having due to having had PE/HELLP/etc., here is a topic they're looking for info. on. (I was searching the site to see if they were looking for anything that could get awareness of PE out there, and this is the closest I found):

Tragic Circumstance Surrounding Your Baby? Are you a parent facing a major life upheaval because of a tragic circumstance surrounding your baby? Have you had a tragic event involving your infant and it's left you and your spouse torn and confused? Is it beginning to cause conflicts in your relationship?

https://www.drphil.com/drphilplugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=B99900002

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Re : Be on Dr. Phil show to talk about PE?

Postby julie f » Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:29 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:29 pm

A couple of friends and I went to a taping of Dr. Phil in November and before they let you in the studio, they make you fill out cards for future show topics - we all put PREECLAMPSIA, PREECLAMPSIA, PREECLAMPSIA...

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby twolfgram » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:46 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:46 am

I received the e-mail regarding this and will not be responding. It looks to me like they want to sensationalize it rather than get the word out and help people - Have you had a tragic event involving your infant and it's left you and your spouse torn and confused? Is it beginning to cause conflicts in your relationship? That to me isn't getting the word out. I'm sorry if that seems harsh.

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 at 29 weeks due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby julie f » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:57 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:57 am

Therese,

I had the same thoughts as you after I checked out the website. I could talk forever about my son or preeclampsia but, get on national TV to discuss the conflicts my husband and I have?? No thanks. I could even talk about how it has changed MY life but, it seems like this would be a show about relationships with infant loss being in the background. I may respond to the topic though, to put in my additional two cents about focusing a show on preeclampsia.

Julie (27)

julie f

Postby twolfgram » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:00 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:00 am

That's a good idea, Julie. I didn't like the part about only responding if you're willing to go on the show - sounded a little scary to me!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 at 29 weeks due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby amillhouse » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:18 am

by amillhouse (587 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:18 am

Has anyone, especially this Foundation, tried to contact Oprah? My husband had a great suggestion that we write to her. If we all bombard here with e-mails, I am sure her people would start to research the topic. And it seems that Dr. Phil talks about things that Oprah talks about so there might be a ripple effect. And everyone knows that if Oprah gets passionate about something, the word will get out and money will be raised. Has this already been done? I am not aware of Oprah ever talking about pre-e which is probably one reason why I have never heard of it.

Anika
mommy to Isaiah, born 28 weeks gestation (1/20/04 - 2/17/04)
amillhouse

Postby sam » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:34 am

by sam (442 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:34 am

in regard to the dr phil show, i did email the show. I am not keen to go on it at all, and i dont want to be used to sensationilize this topic. But i did say that if you just did one thing from reading my story, its that please, please highlight this cruel disease and its consequences to mothers, fathers, children and their respective families in a separate show not related to just how relationships are after traumas in pregnancy. Not hopeful but i feel its better than nothing,and it can't hurt to make these TV types realise that its more than just another story for their precious ratings!!! just wanted to get my 2 pence worth over to these people (like all of us here!!!) to bring this disease to the forefront and not the background!!

LOL to you all, keep fighting for awareness girls!!! as i know it is close to all our hearts.

sam
London,UK
PE/severe HELLP @ 27wks
13th oct 2003
mummy to angel jake
sam

Postby sandy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 01:54 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 01:54 pm

Hi everyone, I know, I know. I had the same thoughts that you shared ("Go on National television to talk about my problems? Not for me.") and didn't post the idea until 2 days after I had initially read it for the same reasons.

And then I thought that different things work for different people. There are some people who might it might work for them to be on the show...so that's why I posted.

I also wrote to the "Ask Robin a Question" area of the "Dr. Phil" website to ask if she developed PE or a related condition with any of her pregnancies. If anything turns up, I'll post back here.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby julie f » Wed Feb 25, 2004 02:43 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 02:43 pm

Sandy,

You're totally right, some people are able to do this. When I watch these shows sometimes I think - do they know millions are watching???...[:0]

Anyway, just wanted to write back real quick to say that I think it was great that you posted it and who knows - someone a lot more comfortable with their feelings than me [:I] may end up mentioning preeclampsia on there. I hope I didn't make you feel like you shouldn't have posted the link by any of my comments.

Julie (27)

julie f

Postby sandy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 02:59 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 02:59 pm

Hi Julie!
(you wrote: "I hope I didn't make you feel like you shouldn't have posted the link by any of my comments")

Oh, not at all. :) I really like hearing different people's views on different things. Yours included.

And I hope to meet you in person someday...we're both down here in S. Ca. [8D]

sandy

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange