Be on Dr. Phil show to talk about PE?

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : Be on Dr. Phil show to talk about PE?

Postby natan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 03:27 pm

We can still write a letter w/o mentioning personal conflicts with others. If enough people write to respond how preeclampsia effected them then our chances of getting on is good. I sent a letter and a representive already responded and said "we will review your letter soon". I am not sure if this is an automatic response, but it is a start.[:p]

Maybe this will start a new subject. Keep your fingers crossed,

Deborah
natan

Postby annes » Thu Feb 26, 2004 07:51 am

After seeing this post, I actually decided to e-mail Oprah instead, I like her show better, and you don't have to only e-mail if you are willing to be on the show. I just wrote the bare bones of my story and gave some stats about pre-e and the website info. Who knows? She does a lot of programs about womens health, maybe her staffers will check out this website and read some of the share your stories and posts and go from there. Can't hurt to try.[:I]

Anne
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby angelical » Thu Feb 26, 2004 08:53 am

I decided to write to Oprah (again) too. Here's what I said:

PREECLAMPSIA. This is the topic we would love for you to cover.

Why? Because it affects AT LEAST 5 to 8 percent of all pregnancies! In fact, this disease is the LEADING GLOBAL CAUSE of maternal and infant illness and death. By conservative estimates, these disorders are responsible for 76,000 deaths each year.

Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndrome, eclampsia, and pregnancy-induced hypertension...these are all manifestations of this disease. It causes problems with blood pressure, kidneys, liver, edema in extremities and lungs, swelling in the brain, low amniotic fluid, etc etc etc.

What's worse is that health providers and women know so little about it that symptoms are missed and women and children needlessly die.

PLEASE help us get the word out! See www.preeclampsia.org for more information.

Thank you!
Sharel O'Connell
survivor of preeclampsia & HELLP. Son born at 28 weeks gestation 5/2/02

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby kdreher » Tue Mar 02, 2004 04:55 am

I don't always agree with the coverage of some of Dr. Phil' topics, but I wrote him a letter anyway. Even if I can add one bit of pre-eclampsia on the show. I also have been writing to Oprah. Oprah is a better option, but we'll do whatever I can and even GO on national television. I send her the same letter every Friday..until she ANSWERS me [:D]I posted the letter on here before, but this is what it say: (you are limited to like 2000 characters so I had to keep it short)...
(Anne I hope you don't mind that I used some information from the site and your name)

Dear Oprah,

I am writing to you, no pleading, that you read this letter! Did you know that over 6 million women every year get preeclampsia in the world with it being a leading cause of women and their babies dying during pregnancy?

Preeclampsia is a disorder that occurs only during pregnancy and the postpartum period and affects both the mother and the unborn baby. Affecting at least 5-8% of all pregnancies, it is a rapidly progressive condition characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine.

This is something that I experienced in 1995. At the age of 25, I was just 26 weeks + 1 day gestation and my seemingly wonderful, healthy pregnancy took a turn for the worst with out any warning. My blood pressure rose to 160/140 and I suffered from two grand maul seizures. My body was shutting down and the only cure was to take my son early. I had also developed the HELLP syndrome. Although I survived, my son passed away in my arms just two weeks later.

Many, many women have stories that envelope some form of eclampsia. Anne E. Garrett started an organization after the HELLP syndrome almost took her life in 1996. Anne writes, “we started this organization because there was not one there for us when we needed it” and in my opinion, there still is not enough information out there for us women. The Preeclampsia Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit operating organization established in the year 2000 to promote safe pregnancy and post-partum research, public education and patient support. We can use as much exposure as possible and always welcome financial and operating support. Thanks to Anne, many of us have found a place to tell our story. Though I do not know Anne or many of the women well that belong to the organization, we all have something in common.

Oprah, I am asking you because of your notoriety and passion for women’s issue, as well as, your contact with other celebrity who may have dealt with this issue secretly, to hear my story, Anne’s story and all those who have been through this. We need your support in the fight for women and children’s health and safety.

Kristine Stevens

Kris (34)
DH, Tom (33)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks pe/HELLP)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

Postby annegarrett » Tue Mar 02, 2004 09:23 am

Thank you so much Kristine. I was so moved by your kind words. Per writing Dr. Phil or Oprah--we have and will continue to write to everyone about this issue. We encourage you to write about your own experience and trust that someday--they will realize we are out here--we represent a HUGE demographic of women. Consider--200,000 US women a year--over a thirty year period--some 6 Million American women alive right now have had preeclampsia. My guess is Oprah's audience is full of such women. We just have to keep writing. I fully support your not airing your personal issues on national tv and apologize if it sounded like I was encouraging that. I am encouraging beating the drum--telling your story--getting the word out. I would never want anyone to feel they were being used for ratings. Our intent is what matters here. The tv shows will come around.

Keep up the good fight!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Aug 12, 2004 09:18 am

I've written Oprah today for a chance to get Pre-eclampsia on center stage. I am not the best writer but I pray it will get some thought over to the subject. :-)

Dear Oprah,

I believe a good topic for your show would be about pre-eclampsia/eclampsia. How there seems to be a growing number of women affected by it. When I first had it with my oldest daughter, the numbers were low, now it seems to have grown since I had it again with my late son. I'm also a widow and have dealt with grief the best way I know how, by continuing to go on living my life to the fullest. My oldest daughter is almost 10yrs old and my youngest is 9 months. For their futures as women and mothers, could you possibly consider bringing light to this subject? Even to let others know, who are going through this tough time of loss or suffering, that we, who have gone before them, know some of their pain. Even if Pre-eclampsia has to share a stage with Trisomy, Triploidy, and other such disorders in pregnancy, it would be much appreciated. I know I will even learn something new. I enjoy your show and am writing to you because you bring such a feeling of uplifting to those of us that watch. And for that I thank you!
Sincerely, Sue

Sue
timelessbeauty

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange