Hand-made Soap and Lotion Sale to support PF

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Hand-made Soap and Lotion Sale to support PF

Postby alaskamommy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 03:00 pm

UPDATE January 2008: I just want to announce that I have now added a lotion to the PE soap bars on my website. Same page ... www.7swans.com/allsoaps.htm - scroll down to the bottom of the page. I will still donate $1 for every bar of special PE label soap from the list, plus I will now donate $2 from every bottle of special PE label lotion as well. As with the soaps, the signs & symptoms and PF website will be listed on the back. Thanks everyone for your orders so far!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I have been given clearance, so I will begin this on-going sale as of now - December 5, 2007. The soaps are available on my website (www.7swans.com) under “handmade soaps” at the bottom of the page. Scroll to see "Soaps for a Cause". Remember I will donate $1 from the sale of each bar from those listed to benefit the cause. Symptoms and the PF website will be listed on the label on the back of the bar.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I own a natural bath and body care business, and sell hand-made soaps, lotions, scrubs, etc.

I have been wanting to dedicate one of my soaps to the PF, and have received the go-ahead from Mr. Viall - who BTW is an incredibly nice person "in-person" over the phone =) . I will donate one dollar from the sale of every bar of this "PE" soap to the PF, and the symptoms of PE will be listed on the label on the back of the bar, along with the PF's web address for more info. People will be able to purchase it off my website and when I do shows and bazaars. Also I plan to send a brochure along with each purchase.

I would like some input though, if you guys wouldn't mind.

1. The formula I would like to use - my personal favorite because I have really dry skin (a hazard of living in Alaska) - is made with lard as one of the ingredients. (Yes, pig fat! But it is one of the best ingredients out there for soap, believe it or not!) I know some people like to avoid animal products though. Since I'm sort of gearing this to mommies and mommies-to-be, I'd like it to be a very gentle bar, but I can accomplish this with all-vegetable oils too. Would this matter to you?

2. What attracts most people to different soaps is scent, and I color many of the bars. However while the other ingredients are 100% natural, the fragrance oil and colorant are not (although they are deemed totally safe by the FDA). I could make a bar that's 100% natural by using only lavender essential oil for scent and no colorant, but it's not as attractive to some people and may not sell as well. Is all-natural very important in your opinion?

I would really appreciate any input you guys have to offer. Thanks!
alaskamommy

Re : Hand-made Soap and Lotion Sale to support PF

Postby aundapenner » Mon Dec 03, 2007 05:24 pm

Very cool idea!!!

I have sensitive skin, so anything with a fragrance is out for me. I personally am indifferent to what "natural" product is in the soap, so long as it doesn't make my skin break out in a rash!

I personally LOVE the more non-scented or ocean scents ... fresh and light.

I'll have to check the soap we're using now to figure out what the scent it ... it's nice!
aundapenner

Postby kara » Mon Dec 03, 2007 05:47 pm

Um, I'm not opposed to lard, but maybe going veggie will include a few extra people who might care. Sometimes fragrances bother me, but sometimes not. I think a soft color is good. As for scent, I don't love lavendar...but you are bound to get 1000 different likes/dislike here. I say you go with one of your better selling soaps and run with it. You are the soap expert! :-) This is a great idea by the way! Good luck I can't wait to buy one!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Mon Dec 03, 2007 08:36 pm

Hey Christina, what a great idea - and incredibly generous.

On the issue of animal fat: I'm not a vegetarian, but personally I avoid animal products unless they've been raised naturally and cruelty-free. So, were I to be looking at a purchase, I would choose a vegetable oil product unless I knew the other option was the product of cruelty-free practice.

On scent: again, I'm more likely to buy something natural, but even more so, cruelty-free.

Here in Canada there is a real movement against wearing strong scents as they can aggravate others' allergies, but I do like a bit of something smelly, myself. And for soap, I love rose, lavender or coconut.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Dec 03, 2007 08:56 pm

mmm I can smell the soap already. I like the cherry-ish scent of the almond oils.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 pm

I vote for the veggie based product too. I do think that Kara has a good point about selecting one of your most popular soaps and going with it. We want those sales : ) What a kind thing for you to do...and a wonderful way to spread awareness...thank you!
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby Dawn D » Tue Dec 04, 2007 01:59 pm

Hi Christina, I've been emailing you directly about this, but wanted to post here to publicly thank you for your work in coordinating this project. The labels are a great way to raise awareness - and it's so generous of you to donate a portion to PF!
I look forward to your actual launch of the sale :-)
Dawn D

Postby taras mom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:22 am

What a great idea! However, I wouldn't buy a soap that contained animal products, and my sensitive skin reacts to a lot of scents and colorings. Spicy and herbal scents are my favorites, but lavender is okay, too. I'm used to buying unscented, undyed things, so the lack of color wouldn't put me off. Maybe you could use plant-based colorings if you think it would sell better.
taras mom

Postby alaskamommy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your input! I have been given clearance, so I will begin the sale as of now. The soaps are now available on my website www.7swans.com under “handmade soaps” at the bottom of the page. I couldn’t decide which soap to use, and so decided to give the customer a choice (I can’t certify the lard I use is cruelty-free, and I think a lot of people have sensitive skin and/or would want to steer clear of animal products so an all-natural, scent-free vegan bar will be an option – I will make a batch today and they’ll be ready in a few weeks). Don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place! I may also add different scents as I continue to build my inventory. =D

P.S. Kara – lavender used to be my favorite scent – but I have made so many bars of lavender soap that I can barely stand it any more, LOL. It’s the same with living in Alaska for 20 years and eating tons of salmon … I can’t even stand the smell of it. =D
alaskamommy

Postby rebeccac » Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:53 pm

This is so awesome!!!! Can it be shipped for Christmas delivery? Looking at beer soap for my DH!
rebeccac

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange