Pree/HELLP & micropreemie on Montel...

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Pree/HELLP & micropreemie on Montel...

Postby angelical » Fri Mar 19, 2004 03:09 pm

My mom called me today as I was driving home from work all excited... She was channel surfing and caught a segment on Montel about "medical mysteries": one of which was a 23-week micropreemie that lived... her mother announced that she had preeclampsia & HELLP Syndrome!

yea! one more avenue for getting the word out!

I just went to his website to see the synopsis of the show. Here's part of it.... (http://www.montelshow.com/show/todays.htm)

Jeanne was only in her 23rd week of pregnancy when symptoms of vomiting, chest ache, and dangerously high blood pressure sent her to the hospital. Soon after arriving at the hospital, Jeanne gave birth to a 12-ounce, 10 inch-long micro-preemie daughter named Taylor. Taylor was given only a 10% chance of survival, but Jeanne and her husband were determined to keep her alive. Wait till you see how little Taylor is doing today!

Sharel [8D]

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Re : Pree/HELLP & micropreemie on Montel...

Postby angelical » Fri Mar 19, 2004 03:21 pm

I just went back to his site and posted feedback to him. This is what I said:

"THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! From a preeclampsia/HELLP Syndrome survivor and mother of a preemie (28 weeks, 2lbs 5oz), I thank you for helping us get the word out about this disease. The dedicated members of the Preeclampsia Foundation (www.preeclampsia.org) work tirelessly to find new avenues to spread the word to women everywhere; shows this like are precious to us because of the large viewing audience. My son and I were lucky, but unfortunately so many others are not. I hope that you will find the opportunity to do similar shows as this in the future. We need you!
--Sincerely and thankfully, Sharel O'Connell
www.geocities.com/sharel_o/Home.html"

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby josiah1112 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 06:26 pm

Yes, Sharel. I saw the show. It was actually a repeat.
The little girl Taylor- was really cute.

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
josiah1112

Postby steg » Sun Mar 21, 2004 02:01 pm

I saw the show and thought it was equally amazing! I was at L&D at 23 weeks for preterm contractions and the resident there said it didn't really matter because if I would deliver it would just be a miscarriage and they wouldn't even try to resussitate the baby at that age! Needless to say I was pretty upset!

They were so lucky to have such a good outcome given the situation dealt to them!

Stacy
steg

Postby amillhouse » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:21 am

Kudos to Montel. Here in South Africa today on the Ananda Lewis show, there was a segment on pre-eclampsia. I understand that Ananda Lewis is no longer on in the States. Did anyone see that show? I saw a few minutes of it. There was a gynie on giving information about pre-e and a mom of a 34-weeker who had pre-e.

Anika (32, severe pre-e)
Mommy's Angel Boy: Isaiah (1/20/04 - 2/17/04)
Born at 28 weeks 1 day gestation weighing 610 grams
amillhouse

Postby jenn122 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 01:34 pm

That is neat, I wish I had of seen it!

Jennifer

Alayna June 27, 2001
EDD August 4, 2004
http://www.geocities.com/alaynarosetta
jenn122

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange