local BAKE SALES - easy way to help in February

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

local BAKE SALES - easy way to help in February

Postby Dawn D » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am

VALENTINE’S BAKE SALE
to benefit the Preeclampsia Foundation

Here is a simple, easily managed activity that you can do with your family or friends to help raise money and awareness in your local area for the Preeclampsia Foundation.

Consider coordinating a sale in your area by following these few steps.

1. Determine a date for holding the sale that falls between Feb 1 and Feb 15, 2008.
2. Secure a site (preferably cost-free) for holding the sale. Store fronts, community centers, daycares, churches are popular possibilities.
3. Contact friends, family and neighbors to make cookies, doughnuts, cupcakes, cakes, muffins, candy, etc. to be sold.
4. Advertise the sale in your community. Post flyers (use sample that can be provided or create your own), send emails, place a blurb in a community newsletter, church bulletin, or pass out info to your moms’ group or child’s classmates, etc.
5. Be willing to pass out info about Preeclampsia during the sale. Brochures, symptom magnets and/or other PF materials will be provided via mail to coordinators who sign-on for this fundraiser.

If you are interested in participating, notify Dawn Detweiler, National Fundraising Coordinator, at Dawn@preeclampsia.org by January 30th - or at least 10 days before you wish to hold sale.
More tips and guidance will be provided to coordinators who are willing to commit to this project

Remember: multiple small fundraisers can add up to be as profitable as one large scale event. Be a part of this project and make a difference!

Dawn D

Re : local BAKE SALES - easy way to help in February

Postby Dawn D » Thu Jan 31, 2008 00:43 am

What??? No one is interested in this simple idea in support of the PF mission?[:0] Of course we all juggle schedules that are filled with a variety of "things to do." But,if you've always wanted to help, and just haven't been sure how to dive in, this might be the ideal chance....[:)]

Bake Sales benefit everyone.

Bake Sales are one of the easiest, least-expensive ways to raise funds.

Bake Sales are a great way to help if you want to make a difference, but are unable to commit long-term energy toward the cause.

Bake Sales are something children can be a part of.

Bake Sales do not require experienced leadership to be successful.

Bake Sales make people smile.

Bake Sales are YUMMY !

Just $100, $50 or even $20 raised (one batch of cupcakes, decorated for valentine's day and sold at the local senior center....or a few cookies or cakes for your moms club....) would be a valuable contribution!!

Consider holding a bake sale ANYTIME during the month of FEBRUARY - your efforts will make a difference toward healthier moms and babies!

Dawn D

Postby crystalw » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am

I think this is a great idea. I may consider .. Although we may get some competetion with the girl scouts.
crystalw

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 am

I might as well just write the PF a check, LOL. I know I'd eat way too much of the sales, HA!

But I'll consider it also. =)
alaskamommy

Postby Dawn D » Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:56 pm

Hehee, Christine ....I can relate to that worry of maybe wanting to eat all the treats myself!
And I hear ya, Crystal, but remember that people are often happy to support a variety of good causes particularly if you yourself are devoted to the cause. Plus it helps when the product is inexpensive, like a cupcake ;-)

Oh, and don't forget the awareness factor and how such a sale could help in spreading PE info - not just raising funds.

Big thanks to both of you (and anyone else) for even thinking about the idea!

Email me if you have questions, or want some creative ideas for doing it as easily as possible.

Dawn D

Postby alaskamommy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 02:23 am

You know, I have been thinking about it all day, and I have a couple hours on Thursday afternoons while the girls are in Greek lessons. I think maybe I will see if I can set up a table at the local hospital on the 14th and sell some Valentine's cookies and cupcakes and stuff - even if it's just for a short time. Maybe I can hand out a few of the remaining brochures I have too!

I know my girls would love to help bake stuff. And maybe on Valentines Day people would feel more inclined to give ... you think so?

I would love to hear those creative ideas you have for doing it as easily as possible. Easy is definitely good. =)
alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 02:30 am

*smacking forehead*

I am such a dork. I just saw your initial post and saw that you *intended* this to be a Valentine's themed bake sale. Wow am I a dork. (blushing).

Oh well, LOL. Maybe next time I won't post when I'm so tired.

But hey, I also just remembered that I have friends that run a bakery! Hmmm, I wonder if they'd donate some stuff!
alaskamommy

Postby laura » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:08 am

You know, this one might be an especially good idea for the states with groups. The prospect of one person baking (or gathering) enough for a sale might be daunting for some, but if there are a few of you in one area, this would be a good opportunity to divide the work, and then get together for the sale itself.

My sale would look like: here, wanna Costco cookie? $6 please!
laura

Postby Dawn D » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 am

Christina, just emailed you directly...you're great!!

Laura, great idea about getting state groups together. A blast was expected to go out, and GCs and new volunteers were getting a message too.

yes, I think the sale could be a bit much for some to do alone, but simply reaching out to others you know for the baking could be helpful. It's a nice opportunity for aunts, grandmothers, neighbors to maybe offer support without having to directly write a check. Also, (like Christina is thinking) maybe ask a bakery if they can donate some goodies.

A plateful of goodies/cake might be perfect for the man who needs a last-minute "I love u" valentine gesture for the wife a kids. Or maybe crispy treats wrapped in red celophane would be snatched up by a mom who needs after school snacks for her kids. Oh, and what about some goodies on sale in the office snack room?

You might be surprised how often a full dollar gets handed over for a cupcake marked 50 cents.

Dawn D

Postby alaskamommy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 04:26 pm

Dawn, I just emailed you - I'm on for Valentine's Day! You'll never guess where ... our shiny new Sportsman's Warehouse! (we are a small town and this is a big deal, LOL) I figured I'd be shopping there for DH anyway, HA! And, they were so nice! They're going to supply the table and everything, and the manager said even though Thursdays are much slower for them than weekends, there are enough big, hungry guys just working there to probably buy most of my stuff, LOL!

I'm going to have to re-work the flyer I did, though, LOL. I'll have to change the Victorian hearts and roses ("Love Somebody? Then bring them a tasty treat from our bake sale!") to camoflage. Hmmmm ... how 'bout ... "Huntin' for love? We've got your bait! Come to our bake sale!" HA!
alaskamommy

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange