Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Signed up for a baby fair in April!

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Signed up for a baby fair in April!

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 03:01 am

by alaskamommy (582 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 03:01 am

Last month when I was looking for a place to do the bake sale, I ended up talking at length with the PR director for our local hospital. I was unable to hold the sale there after all, but it was so providential that we spoke ... you guessed it, she's had PE and was very unimpressed by the seemingly general lack of info out there, even by many docs. So she's all excited to know about the PF now,and I am now signed up to host a table at the hospital's baby fair on April 11th.

I've got plenty of brochures and magnets to hand out, but what else should I do? Who should I contact for help in setting this up? Shoudl I plan on setting up some kid of display? I have no experience with anything like this, so I need lots of advice. =)

I'm also going to be selling my soaps and lotions and things with the PF label, so it will be a small fundraising opportunity as well!
alaskamommy

Re : Signed up for a baby fair in April!

Postby misscoleyp » Thu Mar 06, 2008 08:45 am

by misscoleyp (435 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 08:45 am

Here are my tips:
-Get as many different magzines/articles with PE in the news or of celebrity stories. Recent Pregnancy mag, Trista from the Bachlorette, Marcia from Desparte Housewives. These have all been in the last year.

-Print out a copy of the Annual report. I put mine in a binder with plastic sleeves.

-Print out some copies of the most recent Volunteer news. People will pick them up and read them too.

I've got to run to work, but that is a start. I'll be back tonight and give you some more ideas.
misscoleyp

Postby laura » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:02 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:02 am

Christina, throw Kathy an email- volunteers@pe.org (spell it out)- and she ought to be able to tell you what comes next- you'll need some brochures, and they might be able to send you the banner. You can also put something in the community section of the adn.

I'd love to come out and sit with you, if you don't mind!
laura

Postby neslo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 am

by neslo (679 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 am

What a good idea! I'd love to do something like that in my community.
neslo

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:33 pm

by alaskamommy (582 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:33 pm

Laura, would you??? That would be awesome!!! Then I would feel so overwhelmed.

And plus I'd just love to meet you. =D

I'll email Kathy now.
alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:34 pm

by alaskamommy (582 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:34 pm

Nicole - thanks for the great tips!

Methinks maybe you've done this before?
alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:36 pm

by alaskamommy (582 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:36 pm

OOOPS! BIG TYPO!

Laura, Then I would NOT feel so overwhelmed. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Sorry. (Geez, I'm such a tard!)

Oh, and BTW it's on the 12th, not the 11th. We can come in and set up on the 11th, tho.
alaskamommy

Postby rebeccac » Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:48 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:48 pm

Sounds like great PR for the PF!
rebeccac

Postby cindyh27 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 04:25 pm

by cindyh27 (1034 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 04:25 pm

Christina ~ I'm so glad you started this thread! I am setting up a table at our next Healthy Woman's Conference Tuesday March 11th (our local hospital hosts a conference once a month) w/my registration fliers for the WAT and PF brochures... the big Conference is in April 10th… last year they had over 500 people attend… they will have a Health Fair two hours before the Conference starts with booths… so I’m either going to set up my own booth... or I may be able to share a table w/the County Health Department (my mom works for the state and ‘knows people’)

Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!!

P.S. Would I be allowed to post the Healthy Woman’s Conference info in our State folder? It’s not held at the hospital… it’s held at a local sports park… just a thought…
cindyh27

Postby Dawn D » Thu Mar 06, 2008 05:32 pm

by Dawn D (504 Posts), Thu Mar 06, 2008 05:32 pm

Hi Christina, like I told you before, it's so exciting to hear that you connected with that woman! It would be wonderful if Laura can actually BE THERE to attend.

just a thought; be careful that whatever materials you present to the public other than the brochures(magzn articles, info off the web, etc) matches the PF position on this disorder and current research. Possibly Laura or Caryn could direct you on that point.

Also, I think there are 3-5 bullet-points that I once was given that are designed to help you be ready for any on the spot interviews (like a newspaper photog covering the expo). They helped me when I did a radio interview one time....whenever I wasn't sure of what to say I'd just repeat one of those facts. I'll look in my files and get that to you.

For additional ideas about display check in with Kara, I think they did/will be doing an Expo in WI.

I believe I sent you enough brochures and magnets, but if you need more please let Kathy or I know and we can have then sent to you. Also, there are vinyl banners that are available to help make your table look "professional". They've been used at WAT, so someone in your area might have one...if not Kathy can arrange for you to get one.

Hope this info helps. Yay to all of you organizing these fairs/expos! Great opps for spreading awareness.
Dawn D

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange