New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Gift wrapping for donations to PF

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Gift wrapping for donations to PF

Postby darateacher » Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:31 pm

I was at a local bookstore and saw a cancer research group hosting a giftwrapping table after the cashiers' desk.

The wrapping was for free, but there was a jar asking for donations.

Was wondering....could we do this next year at any of our local bookstores for donations for the PF? If so, whom do we notify, how long in advance, and what else do we need to do. I'd love to get donations for the PF and educate pp this way! :-)
darateacher

Re : Gift wrapping for donations to PF

Postby denise » Fri Dec 26, 2008 02:56 pm

That is a great idea. I know they always have various groups at our local BN store.
denise

Postby Dawn D » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:50 pm

WONDERFUL idea! Little work involved, something others will appreciate, and fun too! You could even get kids involved as helpers.

The most critical part of planning would be to secure a place of business that would grant permission to do so. For the holidays a bookstore, toystore or gift shop would be ideal.

The second piece would be for the person coordinating on behalf of PF to be willing to provide (and pay for upfront) the supplies like paper, tape, ribbon, tags, etc. Oh, and consider if you need a table or work area.

For something like this it would be appropriate to just offer the wrapping service with a donation box/jar available (as mentioned in the other example). An "approved" message could read"
Donations collected - of any amount - will directly support the Preeclampsia Foundation and it's mission to provide healthier outcomes for women and babies affected by Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndrome and related disorders. Or something similar.

And of course, brochures and info about PF and the disorder should be on hand to give out to everyone coming by your station. (the admin office can provide these to you)

PLEASE NOTE:

You must let us/me/PF know of any plans to follow through on such a project. We will happily support you and provide you any additional advice or simple guidelines necessary at the time.

Sooo, yes, when you turn your calendar to 2009, skip ahead to December and jot a reminder to consider this for next year!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THE SUGGESTION!
Dawn D

Postby darateacher » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks! I'll definitely get on it for next year! Borders' by us would be happy to let us do this, I'm sure, as well as BN.

darateacher

Postby molly419 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:14 am

Hey Dara,

Myself and another PF member, Heather, did a gift wrapping booth at a local K-Mart at Christmas time 3 years ago. A couple of suggestions-- I reached out to a couple of local stores, asking for wrapping paper and tape donations, which we did receive. That helped keep the cost down. I also started to send in a formal request to local stores to hold the fund raiser in October. Many locations already had a non-profit locked up, so you may want to get your spot locked in early in.

Good luck!
molly419

Postby darateacher » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks! I'll go for it in October. Gotta make sure I have some help on my side, too, in the Chicago area, as I'll have my twin boys here in March. :-) :-)

darateacher

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange