Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Are you a member in? If yes--contact me...

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Are you a member in? If yes--contact me...

Postby annegarrett » Thu Jul 08, 2004 02:34 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 02:34 pm

What IS the HIP Mamas Ball???

HIP Mamas is what one friend thought we should originally name the PF. It stands for Hypertension in Pregnancy, Maternal Alliance for Medical Advancement through Science. (whew). And it is the brainstorm of our founders to host an irreverent ball (okay--originally I wanted to call it the HIP Mamas Antisocialite's Ball, but people thought that was too, well, antisocial...) It is essentially an "unBall" where we don't dress up and we don't have to get beautiful to be there, where we have kick-*** fun and laugh. We need to do that all the more these days.

Jillian's (www.jillians.com) has donated the use of their facilities to the Preeclampsia Foundation for the HIP Mamas Ball, Labor Day, September 2005. We can plan on an event in most or all of the following locations--provided we can guarantee selling tickets for approximately 250-500 people per site at at least $30 per ticket (to cover the cost of the food and drinks). If we want to make any money--we have to charge more. If you are near one of these locations and want to help make this one of a kind event a reality--please contact me and let's get started. This is a great opportunity for us--but will require a lot of hard work!! Thanks!!!

PLEASE NOTE--WE HAVE REMOVED CITIES THAT HAVE NOT RECEIVED OFFERS TO HELP WITH THE FUNDRAISER. IF YOUR CITY WAS REMOVED BUT YOU ARE WILLING TO DO THE WORK--Contact us immediately and we will put your name back on the list. For a complete list go to Jillians.com homepage and scroll down their locations list.

(*=# of volunters on the committee; min of 3 required to sign a contract for the event, deadline for signing of the contract is Sept. 1, 2004.)

Albany, NY*
Atlanta, GA***
Baltimore, MD**
Denver, CO**
Houston, TX*****
Indianapolis, IN**
Nashville, TN**
Phoenix, AZ***
Rochester, NY*
San Francisco, CA***
Seattle, WA***
Universal City, CA*
Westbury, NY*
Worcester, MA*

UPDATE: The sites above are locations where members have indicated an interest in getting an event going. We have to guarantee buying a certain # of tickets so this will take a lot of hard work but would be well worth it. I think we will try to limit the first year to six~ sites that we can really focus on and be successful at. We have a designer donating the logo/poster and I have talked to a PR firm about donating PR work. If you can get a local group to "sponsor" the costs of the event (so that the ticket $$ comes to us) that would be all the better. The focus of the event is to "RAISE AWARENESS" and the gist of the event is this:

It is a relaxed, jeans, beer, chicken wings sort of thing but the catch is you have to pay MORE to dress down. If you want the cheap tickets ($30 per person~) then you have to wear that awful bridesmaid dress in the back of your closet and DH has to wear a terrible lime-green leisure suit. Dressy casual is a bit more, and t-shirts and jeans are top dollar. Trust me--you will want to pay more to avoid that topaz taffeta number... [}:)] We need to get radio spots, PSA (public service announcements) in the cities, we need to really make this a FUN time...

Thanks for the strong response. Even if you can't attend an event near you--you will still be able to get a HIP Mama T-shirt. (the back says--hypertension in pregnancy just ain't cool.)

Update: 7/14/04
In order to really pull this off--we are going to choose the sites that have the strongest committees to host events. I put *s next to the sites that have volunteers (# of *s equal the * of people on the committee). Ideally--that committee should have three strong planners (+ the main office support and Jillian's) and then a team of people to execute on the plan. We are eliminating sites that do not have at least two strong volunteers (by strong, I mean people who are willing to drive this event) as of August 1st, 2004. We have to sign a contract as of Sept 2004--so if you are interested--please send in an email to anne@preeclampsia.org. Please note--you do not need to be in the city to help--internet is amazing--so if there is a locale that is "doable" for you--like if you are in San Diego but will definitely go to Universal City--or in Dallas but will make the drive to Houston--then sign up. Better a few key successful small events than too many that don't pull through.

Thanks!!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : Are you a member in? If yes--contact me...

Postby julie f » Thu Jul 08, 2004 03:28 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 03:28 pm

Anne,

I'll send you an email, COUNT ME IN!

There is one about an hour from me and, with the increase in # of Southern CA members recently, I think we could really do something great down here!

Awesome idea!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby gossamer » Thu Jul 08, 2004 03:37 pm

by gossamer (242 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 03:37 pm

Anne,
I am here in Houston. I know exactly where the Jillians is. My work actually has their comapny picnic there every year. Please let me know what I can do. I am very excited about this get together. With the medical center here in Houston, we should be able to get plenty of women to attend.

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life. " -Maureen Hawkins
http://www.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zonker29/album?.dir=/f23e
gossamer

Postby sandy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 05:42 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 05:42 pm

Hi Anne,
I'm in San Diego. A distance from the locations (for planning) but not too far for attending!!

I think I am about 3 hours from 2 S CA locations. Please let me know if there is something I can do "remotely" to help plan.

Sounds like fun and a brilliant idea!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

CAUGHT THE EGG!! Estimated hatch date: 3/20/05
sandy

Postby deerhart » Thu Jul 08, 2004 07:20 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 07:20 pm

man, my mom lives near Champaign but we are too far away

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 08, 2004 08:56 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Thu Jul 08, 2004 08:56 pm

I'm about 3 1.2 - 4 hour away from the Indy IN one... I can help after Casey is here..... I'm sure the family would just love for us to come and visit....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby kim » Fri Jul 09, 2004 06:41 am

by kim (555 Posts), Fri Jul 09, 2004 06:41 am

I can help with Houston. We've been trying to get things going there anyway!!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby aimeejane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 03:06 pm

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Fri Jul 09, 2004 03:06 pm

I already e-mailed Anne, but I live 4 miles from the Atlanta area Jillian's! I'm so excited about this...

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kalentyler/ (Pswd: ilovemommy)
aimeejane

Postby natan » Fri Jul 09, 2004 03:32 pm

by natan (203 Posts), Fri Jul 09, 2004 03:32 pm

Not sure where in SF Jillian is but would be willing to help.

Deborah.
natan

Postby kylesmom » Sat Jul 10, 2004 05:25 pm

by kylesmom (186 Posts), Sat Jul 10, 2004 05:25 pm

Well, I am in CT and I live a little over an hour from Worcester, MA and about 2 hours from Boston. I could certainly help out in either of those locations!

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange