Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Barbara Bush

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : Barbara Bush

Postby laura » Sun Oct 10, 2004 08:58 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Oct 10, 2004 08:58 pm

Oh no! The PF is wholly apolitical, but you do have to admit that we are less than a month away from a very hotly contested race! Who knows what will happen in the next few months?! I wonder if we should contact Eleni to ask if there's any particular way to approach this. I'll forward this topic to her and see what her take on things is.

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby aimeejane » Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:45 am

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:45 am

You are all cracking me up!!!

I am refraining from commenting...did you ever think you'd see the day?? [:p]

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby denise » Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:50 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:50 am

Seeing as how we are working on the brochure and the "Get the word our campaign" maybe we could work some magic on getting the word out on talk shows, letters to people like Mrs Bush, etc. Is this something that is in the works for the PF or not? Even if we get a little blurb on a talk show, it could save one child/woman's life.[:D]

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby annegarrett » Mon Oct 11, 2004 02:16 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 02:16 pm

Thanks for all your ideas. Please remember though that this forum is for generating ideas and that to continue to be as professional as possible we have to work together. Laura Bush has already been contacted by our organization and has declined our invitation to participate. Please please do not start any sort of letter-writing campaign "from us" without coordinating with Eleni. She is our Director of Communications and trust me--we have spent a great deal of time and effort on contacting celebrities. Just as an example--we had a very enthusiastic volunteer write a major charity suggesting they work with us and we had spent several months negotiating a meeting with them. That meeting was blown out of the water by the volunteer's desire to help. We read these forums daily and what we haven't thought of or already tried, or had "contacts" to pursue--trust me--we jump all over them but I really must insist for a number of reasons (professionalism, not accidentally sabotaging another volunteer's hardwork, not recreating the wheel, liability, etc...that no letter writing campaign be started "from us" without it coming from Eleni. She will organize and post these here. We are just wasting valuable volunteer energy if we are not working together in a coordinated fashion and that frustrates everyone (including the celebrity you are approaching, possibly alienating them.)

Thanks!!

Anne

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby tafkap » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:49 am

by tafkap (591 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:49 am

I'm sorry, I should have rephrased what I wrote. There is NOTHING that says that as individuals we shouldn't write to whoever we choose.

I think that's great that the PF has a system, etc. but there is NOTHING wrong with writing your local congressman/woman and your state senators or even your first lady simply to speak of YOUR experiences.

If we all waited around from some organization to give us direction on every single issue that we are passionate about nothing would ever get accomplished. Grass roots efforts are the efforts of like minded individuals- period.

Again- I can understand the discouragement as writing a letter campaign from "us" (meaning the PF) but the PF doesn't control the world- as mothers, women, and voters we have a duty to be involved in issues that are important to us- such as preeclampsia.

Jessica- Colorado Volunteer
dd Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
~5 lbs lost! 17 weeks to goal weight- then TTC #2!~
tafkap

Postby annegarrett » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:52 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:52 am

Totally right. You are free to write on your own to whomever you want about whatever you want. Thanks for reading between the lines.

Per the PF I am just saying that in order for the PF to move forward in a organized fashion we have to work together as a team and we have to have a plan. This forum topic is specifically set up by the PF to generate ideas about PF sponsored activities to raise awareness and fundraise and then to input those ideas into the master plan. It is not in the organization's best interests, its members, our volunteers, nor the patient community we serve to be all going our own way without working as a team. Some people are not as energetic and driven as our amazing Colorado team--so we would encourage them to participate in the PF organized letter writing that is based on a plan--developed by people who have 20+ years experience as public relations and communications professionals. We would be stupid to just disregard their experience, their understanding of the field and assume that they have not put together a plan. It is a waste of effort on everyone's part to recreate the wheel. I recognize that people feel like we are being controlling and there is some truth to that--we have worked very hard for five years to get to where we are--every decision has been one made by the group--and that group now has grown to include you all. We read these posts--we include them in our plan and we include all of you (via emails, phone calls, etc...) in the group. It is very much a grassroots organization. We are not remotely moving slowly--though I can appreciate that is sure seems that way because most of us would like a cure now. In the last four years--we have gone from having no presence at all on the website to getting close to 50,000 unique visitors a month to the website. We got an article in October's Pregnancy, November's Fit Pregnancy, and have been featured in Glamour, BabyTalk, epregnancy, CNN, Reuters, the New York Times Sunday magazine,BBC news, Toronto Herald Tribune, NPR, just to name a few. A google search for us reveals 173,000 hits for the term "preeclampsia" when just a year ago it was only 40,000. Clearly we are raising awareness and you all are a huge part of that. What I am saying is that sure--you can write anyone you want to on your own--but we would prefer that if you really want to maximize your impact--that you be part of the team and follow the guidance of our Communications team--who (as you can see from the impact we have had) really do know what they are doing.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby brittani » Tue Oct 12, 2004 04:11 pm

by brittani (229 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 04:11 pm

PLease tell me how I can get involved with the communications team. I agree with your posts Anne. When I wrote the first post about contacting Mrs. Bush I was only throwing it out as an idea. I am willing to do anything I can to help. I apologize for any confusion.

Brittani (29)
husband Jeff (28)
Andrew (6) born @33 weeks due to severe pe 11/03/97
Connor stillborn @23weeks due to severe pe and end diastolic flow
3/11/04
brittani

Postby annegarrett » Tue Oct 12, 2004 04:29 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 04:29 pm

no apologies remotely necessary--this is just what this forum is for--for tossing out ideas so that we can say--yep-tried that--or nope--hadn't thought of that. Please email Eleni@preeclampsia.org (email reminders as much as you need to--we are all swamped and need reminding!) and offer to help out! I know she is eager to get things done and needs all your help.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange