Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Knitting baby hats

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Knitting baby hats

Postby meg hanrahan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 08:54 am

I have been toying with the idea of knitting baby hats and selling them to various baby/maternity stores (especially the one at the maternity hospitals) with net proceeds (only $$ to me would be to pay for materials) going to PF. Has anyone done something like this? Also would I be able to use the PF logo on the tags I have made to state where the funds go? I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on how to go about this.

Meg
Isabella 11/11/2002 (34 weeks, severe pe)
Katie 4/21/2004 (full term, no pe)
meg hanrahan

Re : Knitting baby hats

Postby 5thtymachrm » Wed Nov 03, 2004 08:56 am

Oh wow that is an awesome idea!!! I am just learning to knit, the first thing I am learning on is a baby hat! Now I know who to email with questions....hehehe.

Elizabeth
WA State Co-Coordinator
Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR. 5 m/c's; ttc #2
5thtymachrm

Postby kdreher » Wed Nov 03, 2004 09:44 am

I think that is a great idea. Can't answer the specifics, but I'm sure you could see them no problem.

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (34)
My Angel Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
Hoping for a little miracle in 2005!

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net
kdreher

Postby alimarie » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:59 am

how funny that i logged on today and saw this post. i am also just learning to knit but i am working on a scarf. it is not as easy as i had thought but i am getting better and it is fun.

i think the hats would be a great idea!

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)

TTC #2
alimarie

Postby youtan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 03:00 pm

Great idea! I learned to knit during all this craziness in my life. This is would a great way to give back to the cause.

What about all these little knitting shops all over the country? Most of the owners are knitters/designers. They may be willing to make designs, share them, and sell our hats for PF.

Kansas Group Coordinator
mother of:
son: 5 yrs, PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1lb 10oz
son: 2 yrs, PIH/low fluid 32 wks, 4lb 8 oz
youtan

Postby timelessbeauty » Wed Nov 03, 2004 07:36 pm

I crochet baby blankies and preemie infant hats all the time. I usually sell them to folks who want to pay me but otherwise donate them to the hospitals that take care of high risk pregnancies. St. Vincent's hospital here in Indianapolis has a high risk ward and they know me there as the "mad hatter" because I have donated quite a few. I would be willing to make up a bunch of blankets to sell for PF as well! :-)

I knit but cannot perl .. so count me in to crochet instead! hehehe

Sue
timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:53 am

Oh, just to let you know, if you find a knit or crochet website, you can ask for donations of materials to help make sure that the majority of the funds go towards the charity. I have been a member in the past of the local chapter of the Crochet Guild of America and they advertise on their website for various charities they work with. Many will just ask for donations of yarn, squares to be put together into projects or money. I know I have a stockpile of yarn in my own house that would rival the local craft stores. hehehee

http://www.crochet.org/charity2.html

I have listed the website so you can get an idea of how they do things. Just an idea. :-)

Also check out http://www.sewing.org and look under their charitable sewing projects and organizations. These two sites function with volunteers just like we do. [8)]

Sue
timelessbeauty

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange