Max & Erma's Fundraiser results

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Max & Erma's Fundraiser results

Postby carolh » Fri Nov 19, 2004 09:22 pm

The M&E's event took place last Tuesday, National Prematurity Awareness Day. There were 4 M&E's locations scheduled for this same day - 2 in Michigan and 2 in Ohio. The restaurants donated 20% of each patrons bill who handed in a flyer for the event when they came in to eat. Here are the results:

Ann Arbor, MI - $230.14
Novi, MI - $61.20
Easton - Columbus OH - $35.74
German Village - Columbus OH - $81.30

Grand total - $408.38

Of course, every dollar counts but we were obviously hoping for better results. Not for lack of trying though! Nicole, Laurie, Stephanie and I distributed at least 500 flyers each and mass distributed emails with the flyers attached in a .pdf file. Nicole was also successful in setting up a free radio plug for the event that her husband conducted for us.

For those considering these types of fundraisers, let me give my input on what I have learned. First, you really have to enlist your friends and family to participate. They are the ones most likely to make the effort because of their personal attachment to you. And you need them to reach out to their circle of friends and family to enlist further support. Flyers distributed to businesses in proximity to the restaurants or to maternity shops, OB clinics, etc probably don't do much to bring people in. I even tried attaching an info sheet to all the flyers with a short blurb about PE, the PF and the fact that the AA fundraiser was in honor of our daughter and proceeds would go to raising awareness in our community. The amt raised here in AA was a direct result of my friends organizing other close friends to attend in a large groups......from their churches, kids schools, etc. My neighbors also participated. Second, with this type of fundraiser, it takes quite a lot of people to come in to add up to a significant amt. Figure that each person spends an avg of $12 (avg for lunch & dinner combined) so at 20% you need 100 people to come in to make $240.....that's a lot of people to mobilize for not alot of $. This was a great experience to learn from and consider in our efforts going forward.

For the logistics and the effort that's required, we may want to consider these types of fundraisers with businesses where the avg amt spent is higher....e.g. book stores, toy stores, clothing stores, etc.

If anyone has any ideas for fundraisers in your communities, let me know and I'll be happy to work with you on all the angles.

Carol

Carol Hamilton, Pharm.D.
Michigan Coordinator
National Group Coordinator
Ann Arbor
carolh

Re : Max & Erma's Fundraiser results

Postby julie f » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:14 pm

This is AWESOME! The learning experience from it was probably just as valuable as the $$, you made some really good points. Nicole, Laurie, Stephanie, Carol and everyone else that participated, THANK YOU!!

Dh and I were at Baja Fresh the other day (Mexican food chain) and noticed that they had a couple signs regarding using their restaurants to fundraise, I wonder if it's the same type of idea? Carol, I will email you.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby kdreher » Sat Nov 20, 2004 05:40 am

That is a great accomplishment....gives us an idea as to how to get things going.

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (34)
Connecticut, USA

Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
Working on a little miracle for 2005!

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net
kdreher

Postby tahoe4 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 08:04 am

I'm so disappointed that the M&E's fundraiser wasn't more successful. It was alot of work to pass out the flyers and it seems like not many people went aside from family and my close friends. I think at first many people thought it was a coupon for 20% off, and when they figured it out that it didn't save them any money, they decided against going. I distributed to a few businesses that are VERY close to the location along with distributing to daycares and the local children's hospital. The problem is that there are no daycares or hospitals anywhere near that location so I don't think it did much good.

Carol, I think you're right about this being something to learn from...

On another note, Fudrucker's also does fundraisers. Not sure about specifics or if that's just a local thing here, but let me know if you want me to look into it...

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!
tahoe4

Postby sandy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 09:07 am

Congratulations!! Every little bit helps...and you created awareness, too.

We're learning as we go!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Another Girl! EDD: 3/13/05; scheduled C at 39 weeks...or earlier if needed.
sandy

Postby denise » Mon Nov 22, 2004 09:36 am

Thanks for the hard work ladies! And $400 is better than zero!!

-------
Denise (28) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (17 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
Currently TTC #2
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby kylesmom » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am

I agree, thanks for the hard work. We have done that type of fundraisers for the high school where I am a Class Advisor and for our local MOMS Club. You really need lots of people for it to be a big success. $400 is nothing to laugh at though, nice job!!! [:D]

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby carolh » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:12 am

Sandy made a good point, which I neglected to mention. Besides the monetary value, we also benefited by raising awareness which is just as important for our organization at this stage.

Also, when my husband took a group to lunch on that day he hit them all up for a donation to the PF! We've received one $50 check so far.......so the total amt is still adding up!

Carol

Carol Hamilton, Pharm.D.
Michigan Coordinator
National Group Coordinator
Ann Arbor
carolh

Postby annegarrett » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:47 pm

This is all really exciting in a way that goes way beyond the actual $--it just amazes me that all of us--really total strangers--are working together. With our 1600+ members--imagine what we could do? $400x1600 =$640,000. We could run a small nonprofit on that. ;) Never underestimate the value of just sharing your experience with one person--it could save a life. Thanks for keeping up the good fight.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Nov 29, 2004 05:44 pm

I am happy to hear the fundraising effort earned money because that means there are quite a few people out there that care about Pre-eclampsia and it's affects on family and friends. Great job to everyone that helped to generate that kind of help for the foundation! Each step brings us a little closer and a little wiser. :-)

Sue
timelessbeauty

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange