Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Cookbook Survey - PLEASE RESPOND!

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : Cookbook Survey - PLEASE RESPOND!

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Apr 04, 2005 02:11 pm

Well, how about we note each recipe we receive as "Dad friendly" .. "Freezes Beautifully" .. or in the "This and That" section of the book we can put the Bedrest Sanity Keepers ideas? So it would be like.... 101st Way to Cook Hamburger (Dad Friendly) ... or Lasagna (Freezes BeautifulLy) ... would this work? And you can pick what type of inserts you can have or specialty sections .. I know it costs more money but there are more than one company that do cookbooks and it may pay to shop them all if you haven't already. Most all are more than willing to give you a sample kit to see if what they have to offer is what you want. It may up the cost of the book, but we can also ask more money for the book and it would definitely be worth it! Remember this phrase, you cannot put a price on human life or love! If it saves a life or if it helps someone in need, we can sell them to Labor and Delivery wards as reading material for those stuck in the hospital with PE. I'll come up wtih more ideas, trust me. LOL ..

Keep working on this idea. I know when I had TMJ surgery and I had to be wired shut for 2 months, I received a mini cookbook with a mere 50 recipes for soft or blenderized foods and tips on TMJ pain relief and description of what TMJ was and so forth. It turned out to be invaluable when discussing things with my doctor or friends.

Sue
timelessbeauty

Postby jillmushet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 04:25 pm

Sue- I agree with you completely. I think that we can work with the company I have in mind. I have the sample and kit. Perhaps, we could customize it as you suggest.

In a dad's section, we could even include a shopping list. Oh, this is going to be fun!

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Apr 04, 2005 05:49 pm

Jill,

I'm not trying to own your idea or take it over. I think it is a fabulous idea and I'd be happy to help be a part of it. Just trying to help think of inexpensive ways to put the ideas into the book that would "get the word out" and also provide good reading. If cost is the issue on customizing it, we could always balance the number of recipes to the number of customizations but we may be able to solicit money from other sources and areas to help produce it. That's why I had suggested the donations from doctors or offices and provide them advertizing in the book. Naturally we would include the Peris and MFMs that we are familiar with and have received good recommendations. What kind of cookbook binding are you looking at? I know it's more expensive but I like the 3 ring binder type, but spiral is much less expensive and does just as well. If we make them really nice, I may be able to have them sold in our local Hallmark store because the woman that runs it has a daughter that has suffered PE and came close to having a tragic experience. It's a franchise so it's possible to promote product with them as well as I know of another place we could market them. Just ideas. So the number I would possibly be able to sell could be as many as 50-100 depending on their interest. You know when people are in Hallmark stores, they are there because they are caring for another person and want to show it by buying a card or getting a gift. And most all women who go in are suckers for anything that deals with or goes to help babies! Hmmm ... we may be on to something! :-)

Sue
timelessbeauty

Postby jillmushet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 07:50 pm

Hey Sue- I like the way you think! Putting it into small shops would be something to look closely at. There are always the questions of taxes, wholesale/retail, seller's profits, etc. Boring stuff like that.

The binding is the spiral variety. I'd love to have the 3 ring binder type. You're right when you say that we can raise the price to cover upgrades. There is a ceiling for what we can charge for these cookbooks. The problem is I don't know what that ceiling is. $10? $12? $15? $20 or higher. (The printing company I have in mind has guidelines that they advise not to go too far beyond.) How good does the book need to be for us to charge a premium price? What do you think?

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Postby timelessbeauty » Tue Apr 05, 2005 06:17 am

Jill,

I think there is a way that we can set up the "vendor" information with the Hallmark stores to be a non-profit tax free purchase. We may have to give a certain small amount per book to be able to sell in the Hallmark but then again, it may just be something the Hallmark lady would be willing to do for us as a 'favor'. Which cookbook company did you choose? Maybe we can work out a nice scenario that won't cost us too much, make a nice book to match the premium price, and be as successful a resource on PE as it is helpful as a cookbook. :-) Is there an amount of recipes inbetween 250 and 500? Does the price go up per 50 recipes we include or how does it work? We are on to a great idea!

Sue
timelessbeauty

Postby jillmushet » Tue Apr 05, 2005 08:28 am

The per book price goes up every 100 recipes or so. From that point, the price goes down every 500 printed or so.

I look forward to sorting through all of these scenarios once the project is a go. Remember, it's still in review and the Walk-A-Thon is first in line for projects.

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange