privacy settings?

If you have a technical question about how to use the Forum or a website suggestion, please post it here! Our Forum's policy lives here, too.

privacy settings?

Postby cmccaffrey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 03:27 pm

Is there a way to make your username visible to only members of the site? I am trying to make my information slightly more secure on the internet. If not, I might have to change my username to something much less obvious.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: privacy settings?

Postby blythe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 04:33 pm

Your profile (what people can see if they actually click on your username) is only available to other members, but your username is public. I understand wanting to make your internet footprint a little more private - that's one reason my username is not my real name (though I chose it more because there were about eight "Heather"s around when I first joined!).

One thing I'm planning to add in the forum policy revisions coming out in the next few months: could everyone put your first name or whatever you would like to be called in your signature like Christa has done. I know many of us chose usernames simply because so many accounts have been made over the years and most names are taken. I'd really like to be able for us to call one another by the names we prefer. For the record, I answer equally to "Blythe" or "Heather".

Sorry to hijack your post, Christa :-D. Let me know if you need help changing your username!

Oh - just wanted to add that your signature - where you currently have your son's full name - is viewable by anyone visiting the site. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be a little more private you can change it.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Re: privacy settings?

Postby cmccaffrey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 05:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Heather! I actually thought that might be the only way I could make my settings a little bit more private. It's really not a big deal, just someone I know was looking for more information about me and Mason, so they searched online and preeclampsia forum was the only thing that came up... so she clicked and saw some of my most recent posts and that I was expecting. LOL I wasn't planning on telling outsiders for another 6 weeks or so, but I guess I am not very good at covering my tracks! Anyways, she swore she would keep my secret, but I just thought it was funny out of all the online accounts I have, this is the only one that she found. Oh well. I will probably just change my signature for now. :-)
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Return to Ask an Administrator