Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Is pre-eclampsia considered a pre-existing condition ??

If you have a technical question about how to use the Forum or a website suggestion, please post it here! Our Forum's policy lives here, too.

Is pre-eclampsia considered a pre-existing condition ??

Postby sage1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 00:23 am

by sage1 (14 Posts), Thu Apr 12, 2012 00:23 am

I had pre-eclampsia in my last pregnancy in April 2011 ... When I returned to wrk end of July 2011 I signed up for health benefits and disability insurance as it was open enrollment ... A few months later I found out I was pregnant again !! This time I am considered high risk so I was taken off wrk ASAP ... I've been on state disability since Nov. 2011 and have been paying my monthly wrk disability insurance, I just found out I have been denied !! I have never been diagnosed with any health conditions, only time I had high blood pressure was with the severe pre-e ... My blood pressure has been good since then ... I am now 30 weeks with no complications ... Getting close to meeting my lil guy soon :) !!!

So you don't know WHO or WHEN pre-eclampsia will effect !? I figured my disability is due to a high risk pregnancy ? Any advice pls help !!
sage1

Re: Is pre-eclampsia considered a pre-existing condition ??

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 00:30 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Thu Apr 12, 2012 00:30 am

Yes. It is also known to raise your risk of subsequent chronic hypertension, diabetes, autoimmune conditions and cardiac disease.

We're expensive.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby sage1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:32 am

by sage1 (14 Posts), Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:32 am

Wow !!! That is sickening !! It's not enough punishment a woman having to endure pre-e and lose a child ... They have no clue to what causes pre-e or who gets it ?? That just blows my mind !! There are millions of woman who have some kind of complication while pregnant then that puts them in a high risk catagory the next time around ... So is everyone considered to have a pre-existing condition !? There are a lot of different things that can lead to diabetes, heart disease, etc. Also ???

This just makes no sense to me ?
sage1

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

They do have a preliminary understanding - And they know that women who have a history of preeclampsia are at higher risk of all those expensive conditions than the average woman, so some insurance companies will treat women with a history as... less cost-effective members of the insurance pool. Since we're expensive some exclude us from certain forms of coverage unless there are laws preventing them from doing that. I couldn't get individual coverage for pregnancy or hypertension when I tried it. I'd ask the HR people at your job and maybe a lawyer, depending on what the HR folks say.

Here's a link to our heart disease brochure: http://www.preeclampsia.org/images/pdf/ ... ochure.pdf

and our "cause of preeclampsia" page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/research-to ... eeclampsia
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask an Administrator