New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Spam

If you have a technical question about how to use the Forum or a website suggestion, please post it here! Our Forum's policy lives here, too.

Spam

Postby dja » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:21 am

Hi Ileana - my email this morning had a message that said it was sent from the Preeclampsia Foundation website. The address was anafiel@hotmail.com. It was spam trying to sell a pregnancy test kit. This has never happened before - thought I should let you know. Thanks.

DJA
Mom to Amelia, b/d 03/19/04 @ 22 weeks due to sever PE

Expecting, EDD 04/22/05!
dja

Re : Spam

Postby laura » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:28 am

We're on it, DJA! Thanks for the alert!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby laura » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:39 am

You know, guys, this brings up a good opportunity to discuss forum security measures. We do have a couple of different ways of increasing security. First is the option of email validation (meaning when you register or change your email address) you have to click on a link that "proves" you have an active email address and we also have the option of "approving" new members before they can post.

The upside of new measures is that we have increased security and less of a chance that you guys will get hit with spam like this. The downside is that new members would have to wait to post until they're "approved" for membership. Would this be an unnecessary barrier letting people post? Or is the wait worth it? I'm very interested in hearing what you guys think about this, please let us know what would be ideal for you!

Laura

laura

Postby sandy » Sat Oct 09, 2004 02:20 pm

Laura, you, Anne, and everyone else there are great about being so vigilant about these things. Thank you thank you.

I think in response to your question..it would be worth the wait!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

CAUGHT THE EGG!! Estimated hatch date: 3/13/05; scheduled C at 39 weeks...or earlier if needed.
sandy

Postby space_coaster » Sat Oct 09, 2004 02:23 pm

Hi Laura,

I have absolutely no problem with the e-mail validation. It's used frequently on much more frivolous message boards, after all [:D] and I don't think anyone would be offended by it.

As far as approval goes, I think as long as you make the necessity of the policy clear to the potential new member, and the wait time for approval is minimal, it should work out fine. If you see a dropoff in new membership after the policy goes into effect you could always change it again.

Hope this helps!

Jocelyn (36)
Mommy to Michelle Elizabeth, 8/25-9/1/04, 24w1d, 1 lb 3 oz, severe PE/HELLP syndrome

Michelle's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/jfiorello68
space_coaster

Postby tanya » Sat Oct 09, 2004 03:39 pm

Hi Laura,
I will be the first to echo what Sandy said. Thank you ladies for trying to make the forums as safe as possible for us!! I too think we could try the e-mail validation. I know when I first started coming to the forums I didn't just jump right in, I visited for a while first before becoming involved. I also think it would be worth the wait for any newcomers. Thanks again for all you do for us!!![;)]

Take Care,
Tanya
Jason(DH)
Leah born 2/4/99 at 34 weeks ...PIH
Miscarriage 10 weeks
Grant born 3/29/01 at 31 weeks... Severe PE
Miracle #3 EDD 01/27/05
tanya

Postby raindrop » Sat Oct 09, 2004 07:14 pm

I completely agree with what the others have said. I believe it would be worth the wait.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby paljane8 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 08:16 pm

Yep, I am for e-mail validation too. Laura, does that make you or Ileana the "parking garage attendant"? This can be automated, right?

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby laura » Sat Oct 09, 2004 08:43 pm

Well, there's two ways of doing it. One way is automated, where you click on the link to validate. That gets rid of fake emailers but still leaves the forbetterhealth@____.coms. I think that option will be a go, and I'm waiting on approval from the Jefe before instituting that one. (FYI for newbies:Our little Annie is the Jefe [:)])

The second, more complicated way is for an administrator (who would end up being me) has to approve your membership before you can post. What that would do is weed out the people obviously there to spam if it is apparent by your email address (which experience has often shown to be the case). I guess what I was trying to get a feel for is whether this option is something you guys would have found off-putting if you'd have to do it as new members. I understand the necessity, but it always irks me personally when I have to wait for admin approval to post in other forums!

I didn't want to make the case to do something that drastic to Anne without making sure first that that you guys don't find it unreasonable! I think I'm looking for a little perspective...

Laura

laura

Postby julie f » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:07 am

Laura,

I think the automated option is great, it provides just about instant validation/approval right?

The second option would be fine too but, I think you are already doing so much and with the amount of new members we get daily/weekly/etc. you could end up spinning your wheels doing this and frankly, we'd miss you!! Also, I'm one of those who craves instant gratification and if I had a burning question I'd be bummed about having to wait to post.[:o)]

Thanks Laura for watching out for us!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Next

Return to Ask an Administrator