headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP but NOT pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP but NOT pre-e?

Postby melissaa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 am

I was in the hospital all last week (monday-friday) being monitored after my NST Monday. My bp in office was 135/100 and after the 40 minute NST it was 130/90 and I had been dipping negative but dipped trace protein. They sent me in and for the first hour my diastolic never got lower and 90. The whole week my bp's came down to 130s/80s for the most part with some lower and some higher (160/89 was the highest systolic I think). My 24 hr came back at 215 and labs came back normal except for 1 number he said indicated pre-e, but that number (cant remember what) was the same earlier in the pregnancy so he wasnt concerned. I had headaches and blurry vision off and on the entire time I was there with one episode of an awful headache with eye pressure and blood shot eyes, the room started getting really hazy and got worse and worse wih blurry vision on top of it. I couldnt even see the clock on the wall 8 feet away. Finally after about 9 hours, mega dose of tyenol, and sleep it started to go away early in the morning. The MFM still wants to push to 39 week bt also says I have a high risk of developing pre-e.. which I completely dont understand (being preactically 37 weeks It doesnt make sense to me to wait for the inevitable). They have me set up for twice weekly NST's and once a week fluid checks. In the hospital I also started having prodromal labor and have had it every single day since (going on abot 5-6 days now). The contractions when I have them ar starting to become painful and hurt in my low abdomen and upper thighs/groin area but they still havent checked me (and im having a 3rd csection this time). I called today to let the nurse know that my issues have continued and gaveher an update and she recommended I go to L&D. The problem is, if I go to L&D, I KNOW they will send me home. Im so sick of the back and forth. Its a huge hassle to find someone to keep my kids at the drop of a hat for the same stuff they keep sending me home with. I feel like im at the end of my rope and I really dont know what else can be done with the MF so set on me making it to 39 weeks. He says the baby needs to get bigger but she was 6 lbs at 34 weeks and 4 lbs at 32 weeks so already gaining a lb a week.. she will be 10 lbs by 39 weeks!
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.
#2 Lucas~ delivered @ 36 weeks 6 lbs 10 oz. (PIH, PRE-E)
#3 Harper Lily-delivered @ 37.6 weeks 7 lbs (PIH)
melissaa

Re: headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP but NOT pre-e?

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:10 pm

I cannot believe this is still going on with your care!! With the symptoms you have been describing I am really disgusted over this crazy doctor insisting on you waiting for 39 weeks!! Your bp's arent great, these terrible headaches, blurred vision on and on and back and forth for you. I am so sorry!! Is there no one else in the practice other than this insane doctor? If in your shoes not being able to see the clock on the wall etc and being as far along as you are I would be screaming to be delivered!!! I am also shocked the people at l & d keep sending you home!
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Nov 12, 2012 06:20 pm

What a scary and frustrating situation for you to be in- especially given your history. If the nurse is recommending going to L&D you might still consider doing it and hoping for a different doctor or even just asking for one- maybe the head of the practice? If not being sure it is clearly explained to you why he feels so positive letting you go to 39 weeks and to document that you are very uncomfortable with that plan. I would have all my questions written down ahead of time and a list of scenarios and what he wants you to do. You might also write down all your symptoms and give them to the doctor, maybe they're missing the big picture? Or head to a different hospital?

My thoughts are with you and I hope you find yourself in care you feel more comfortable with.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 08:37 am

it definitely is scary. Yesterday while at the peds office with my daughter I was having HORRIBLE lower abdominal pain.. like literally on the verge of tears, im not sure what that was about but when we finally got out 2 hours later, it wasnt as bad but last night I had the worst headache Ive had yet with blurry vision so bad I couldnt stand to watch tv, It was scary and I really should have gone to L&D but knowing they would probably send me home kept me from going b/c my daughter was sick and I didnt want to leave her and have to ask my in laws to come sit up at my house until the wee hours of the morning. Iwoke up with the same headache this morning before I ever got out of bed and still have it 2 hours later. Whats confusing is that my bp hasnt really gotten out of the 130-140/80-90 range (but I guess it never really did with the other two pregnancies either). I just switched to this MFM practice and Im pretty sure who im seeing IS the head of the practice.. so I dont know that I really have any other options. Im really praying hard that they decide to do something about all of this at my appt today. I never progressed even on pitocin with DD, so im fairly certain that no matter how many contractions I have, that just dont going to happen.
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.
melissaa

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 13, 2012 08:59 am

I am not liking this at all for you. Please dont hesitate to call in laws for help because you could be in serious danger. I have read and heard on this site that headaches and Bp do not always have to go hand in hand but that a headache like that could actually be brain swelling. You could have HELLP at this point judging by all you continue to describe. You are far along in your pregnancy enough and your babys weight is over 6lbs why are they waiting? Please let us know what happens. I personally would go to L& D and refuse to leave.
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

holly3372@msn.com

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:24 am

I agree something definitely isnt right but now I feel like im discounting my own symptoms b/c they have been brushed off so much. my labs last week were ok, and I have no RUQ pain.. can you still have HELLP syndrom given that?
I do wonder if the headache is brain swelling b/c the swelling in my hands and feet have been moving around and when my hands and feet arent swollen so bad.. is usually when the headache is worse. But this morning im swelling in my hands and feet (they're sooooo tingly and uncomfortable but dont LOOK terrible) AND my headache is bad. I did almost have to have my rings cut off in the hospital, the nurse and I were finally able to get it off with a mega amount of lube but my finger turned purple in the process. With the headache I can actually feel my pulse in my head, I feel like its bobbing to my pulse when its bad.
Me (26) D (29)
melissaa

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 13, 2012 01:26 pm

My friend, I am no doctor but I have had severe preeclampsia. I have heard and read enough stories however at this pont to know that with preeclampsia and HELLP some women have had several symptoms, some just one or two and some none. You do not HAVE to have RUQ pain to have HELLP just because it is one of the tell tale signs of it. My midwife and doctor both kept brushing me off with my first pregnancy, I had a terrible pain and throbbing in my head. I believe had I have continued to listen to them I would not be alive today. When I got to the hospital they were shocked I hadn't had a massive stroke. I am just afraid for you because what you describe happening to you is not good healthy or normal. Especially with your history already and how far along you are in your pregnancy. My son was only 1lb 6oz and I was 26 weeks along, yet still they had to deliver me because I was very sick.You are far along and your baby is over 6lbs which is wonderful, I just don't want you waiting around at home feeling this way. :?

holly3372@msn.com

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 03:49 pm

I saw the MFM today who came in asing how I was doing and when I told him about the headaches and blurry vision being worse.. he first said we could talk about other medications to relieve the "migraines" or talk baout a 37 week delivery but that he wouldnt recommend that. I first asked a lot about the meds and told him obviously I want her to be ready but that I cant handle the headaches anymore. He checked me and said im closed. I asked what would happen if this med (immitrex) didnt work and he said to come into L&D and they would try some different medications IV and that the hospital wouldnt allow him to deliver on headaches alone (since my protein dip today was negative, my bp was 143/87 and the fluid level looked good) . I left very frustrated b/c he seemed to have changed his mind about delivering at 37 weeks before I left and after getting to the car and looking up immitrex on safefetus.. Im NOT comfortable taking it, nor am I comfortable being pumped with all otherkinds of drugs. I would feel safer about her being delivered at 37 weeks then being pumped full of drugs. I called the office and left a message with the nurse telling her I wasnt going to take the meds and im waiting for her to call me back.
Me (26) D (29)
melissaa

Postby melissaa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 04:15 pm

She called back and he spoke to me. I told him that I wasnt comfortable with taking all different kinds of meds and he recommended I just go to the hospital and let them give me IV narcotics to help the headache and one of his collegues would talk with me about where to go from here. ugh. How safe are IV narcotics?
Me (26) D (29)
melissaa

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Nov 13, 2012 06:01 pm

Ugh im so sorry you are having to go through so much craziness. You are being very brave and strong. I am not for sure about the meds though so I cannot answer that. I know with any med of course there are side affects,. Did the doctor tell you that the meds are safe to use during pregnancy? Were you prone to having migrains before you were pregnant? How much longer until you are 37 weeks?? Hang in there ok I am thinking of you constantly.

holly3372@msn.com

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced