Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Has anyone had 2 pregnancies with pe and a third without?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Has anyone had 2 pregnancies with pe and a third without?

Postby amiejeans » Fri Mar 22, 2013 03:50 pm

by amiejeans (1 Posts), Fri Mar 22, 2013 03:50 pm

I am new here. My first pregnancy was a son born 2 weeks early. I had gestational diabetes and preeclampsia with emergency c section. He was healthy. My 2nd pregnancy I did not have gestational diabetes but I was diagnosed with pe at 34 weeks- emergency csection. My daughter was 4 lbs and stayed in the nicu for 8 days. She is now two, almost 3 and perfect! After my second I had chronic hypertension for 1 year. I then went off of my medication and have been monitoring it for a year. It is holding steady at 120/80. I will be 27 in may, I eat healthy, mostly organic and I am a healthy weight I also exercise 3+ times a week. I always wanted 4 children and while pregnant with my second I wasn't thinking she would be my last. I am thinking about trying for a third but of course I am scared to death of having pe again. I don't want to be selfish and risk my children losing their mother but I can't get baby fever out of my head. I would love to hear anyone's stories!
amiejeans

Re: Has anyone had 2 pregnancies with pe and a third without

Postby sam10 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 08:01 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Sat Mar 23, 2013 08:01 pm

In both my pregnancies (that progressed far enough) I developed severe PE (first it started at 20 weeks and with the second baby at 33 weeks). I am sure that another baby would mean PE again, but who knows.
Have you considered seeking the opinion of a high-risk OB, also called an MFM? S/he can evaluate your medical history, check you for possible underlying disorders (if this has not been done yet) and will be able to advise on another possible pregnancy. MFMs are used to complicated pregnancies and have usually seen it all.
Welcome to the forums :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Mar 24, 2013 08:29 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Sun Mar 24, 2013 08:29 pm

Not me. :( I had PTL at 31 weeks and then PE diagnosed at exactly 37 weeks and induced the same day w/my first. My 2nd I was on modified bedrest because of high BP from about 32-38 weeks and induced at 38 weeks. But my BP returned to normal after both and I was never on BP meds. My first 2 are 17 months apart & I had my 2nd at 35. When she was about 18 months I found out my BP was really high at an annual exam and had to go on BP meds and off BCP.

We weren't planning on a 3rd but well, right before I turned 38 we found out we were expecting again. I saw my reg. OB in addition to a Peri for high risk pregnancies and had a lot of u/s, BPP's, NST's. BP med adjustments and blood work. I ended up on total bedrest for the last couple weeks but made it to 36 weeks and didn't have a NICU stay. I did get worse after delivery and had a lot of trouble getting my BP under control for about a year post partum even with multiple BP meds.

Since you are young and want more children, seeing a Peri or MFM like Sam10 said would give you good information on how you'd be monitored in any future pregnancies & if they think additional testing would be helpful.

I wish you the best. :)
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby laughinggirl127 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 00:51 am

by laughinggirl127 (75 Posts), Sun Apr 28, 2013 00:51 am

I did. first pregnancy was at 39 weeks. second was early at 32 weeks. with my third I made it all the way to my scheduled repeat c section at 38 weeks. It was very weird to walk into the OR that time. I did get high blood pressure but it never developed past that. I took 600mg of labetelol twice a day and it kept it decent. Not great but decent. Funny thing was I was horribly overweight that pregnancy. I am sure that my dr got really tired of seeing me. I was in every week for ever. its not impossible to happen.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree
laughinggirl127

Return to Ask the Experienced