Post Reply FAQ Members Login

DR. APPT TODAY...PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! TERRIBLE!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

DR. APPT TODAY...PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! TERRIBLE!!!

Postby cutieajmom » Mon Oct 27, 2003 05:44 pm

Please, I don't know what to do other than NEVER go back to him ever again. He has absolutely TERRIFIED ME!!! I truly believe if I were to stay with him, my baby and I would most likely die!!! I am SO SCARED!! I have to find a dr. that will take me this late in my pregnancy now (36 weeks today). Here is what took place this afternoon. I got there to have my bp checked...They weighed me...i weigh the same as last thursday...then I peed in the cup...then I went and sat in the room. Well, while I was in the room i heard the nurse say "Dr., you need to see this." He went over to her and she said "look at the amount of protein in her urine" He asked her whose it was and she said "it's Sandy's" Up until today there had been none or only trace levels...well, it took a while for them to come in and in that time I started getting really sick again.seeing stars...feeling super dizzy...the whole nine yards. The nurse came in, laid me down on my left side because I told her I felt like I was going to pass out, and THEN took my bp...WHILE I WAS LAYING DOWN! AAGGGHHHH!!!!! it registered at 135/85...a "false low" so to speak because no one has high bp when they are laying on their left side. Then the Dr. came in and said, well, i see that your bp is down...so nothing to worry about. Then he leans back against the wall and says..."what's this i hear from the nurse at the health dept that you are talking bad about me?" He was SO NASTY!! I told him I wasn't talking bad, I just didn't feel that he was taking me as seriously as he should be. I kept asking him...Are you sure it's normal to be seeing these spots in my vision all the time, having swelling in the morning, etc... he said nothing is wrong with me since I am not putting on weight from the swelling. I had asked the nurse after my bp if it could be lower because I was laying down...she said "probably, yes" When I told the dr. that she had taken it while I was laying down he said "O, that doesn't make any difference" I then asked him if I had protein in my urine...He leaned over and looked at my chart and said, "Actually you do have protein in there today" No 24 hour urine collection...nothing. and he seems convinced that you can't get pre-eclampsia with a second pregnancy if you had it with the first...which is bull! Then he asked if I wanted a script for Percocet...I CLEARLY stated that NO, I was doing just fine on Tylenol now... At the end of the appt., he wrote out and handed me a script for the stuff!!! I had JUST finished telling him that I didn't want it!!! HE ISN'T LISTENING TO ME AT ALL!!! I ended up going straight to the health dept and told them what had just happened. They gave me a list of doctors to call in the morning. But, since I am 36 weeks, I don't know if anyone will take me now. He was so nasty to me about the fact that the nurse had called him about my concerns, that I will be darned if I am going to let him cut me open now. I found out from the health dept. nurse/midwife that my fears of the Percocet were wonderfully founded...it is NOT supposed to be used this close to delivery because it can cause breathing problems in the mom and the baby after delivery!!! Which would end up making the dr. look like he was "right" because he is so dang afraid she won't be able to breathe. She's just fine...or she will be if they would bother to take care of ME! He totally insulted me too!!! He told me "You know, most women would just sit back and agree to do what's best for their babies...You seem to be way more interested in you than in your baby" IF I DIE...SO DOES SHE! I was BAWLING once I got to my car. ...and it was really bad because tim had stayed at home with aj, so i had to deal with all that by myself. I know he's telling me lies and tim and I think it's because he doesn't want to look like he made a mistake. so now he's putting me in a lot of danger. I have every single sign and symptom of pre-eclampsia...pressures over 140/90, protein in my urine now, pain in my upper right side of my uterus, swelling (i have swelling in my face and hands every morning), vision disturbances...etc. etc. The nurse/midwife also agreed with me that the amniocentisis is seriously foolish at 37 weeks. The risks FAR outweigh the benefits at this point. How many 37 week old healthy babies really have difficulties breathing?!?!?! Granted that their moms are being force-fed PERCOCET!!! Right now I have the names of two high-risk dr's that the health dept. gave me. One works through a different hospital (UVA) so that is where we are starting tomorrow. I just really don't know that anyone will take me this far into my preg. I feel that the baby should already have been taken out by now...since my pressures have been so high for so long...and climbing. I am shaking from the sheer stress of today's appt. Please, any advice on what I can do at this point. Can I just go to a different hospital when I go into labor and say I've had no prenatal care so that they will give me a different dr? I feel that someone needs to be keeping an eye on me now though...i have to have a repeat cesarean so I HAVE to be able to trust my dr. I am so scared...I am afraid that I will get so bad before someone sees me that I will have seizures or that I will lose my daughter! I am so afraid...please help!!!

Sandy
Sandylapp@hotmail.com
cutieajmom

Re : DR. APPT TODAY...PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! TERRIBLE!!!

Postby angelical » Mon Oct 27, 2003 05:52 pm

Sandy,

You are so SMART. I am so proud of you for understanding - - better than that qu..doctor - - what is best for you and your baby. Good luck at the high risk ob. I can't imagine that a doctor would refuse to take you; it isn't like this (the pregnancy) is going away on its own. You need excellent care.

Now, the best thing for you to do is just calm down... relax. You are totally right about the doctor, but being upset won't help anything.

(i know that is hard to do)

Good luck & keep us posted.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby ileana » Mon Oct 27, 2003 05:56 pm

Hey, I think that your main scare is not right! A high risk takes patients at any time... actually this is what your doctor should have done in the first place today... refer you to a high risk doctor.

I think I saw that there is at least a good doctor at UVA.. I heard the other girls speaking nice of him...

It is so sad that things like this can happen! You have so little to go...be strong and be sure you are doing the right thing for your baby. Good luck to both of you!

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby julie f » Mon Oct 27, 2003 07:04 pm

Oh Sandy,

I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of this. In my book, 36 weeks is a miracle and, of course I'm no doc, but, I don't understand what your doctor's issue is. And, how horribly unprofessional of him to comment in that way on you speaking with someone else about the quality of his care. Lack of care I should say...

Good luck with the high-risk tomorrow, I'm sure that they will take you no matter what stage you're at. And hopefully, you'll be able to update us and let us know that you'll soon be having your beautiful, healthy baby girl. Just make sure that someone sees you TOMORROW.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby cutieajmom » Mon Oct 27, 2003 07:19 pm

Have any of you heard good things about a Dr. "C" at the University of Virginia Hospital? This is who I plan to call first tomorrow. Let me know if you have any information on him. It states in his bio that one of his Interests/specialties is Hypertension, so I am very hopeful. Thanks.
cutieajmom

Postby angelkat » Mon Oct 27, 2003 08:03 pm

You have every right to be concerned. I have known plenty of babies born at and after 37 wks having trouble breathing. The only sure way to know if the lungs are mature is to have an amino. A lot of GYN's are CYA and doing amino's just to be sure.

I wish you luck and if your not feeling well you can always go to your ER.

Mommy to
Drew(12)
Ky (10)
and our Angel Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) forever in our hearts and thoughts
http://www.forevernetwork.com/Archive/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=%2FArchives%2FMountHope&CFID=1089289&CFTOKEN=79068509
angelkat

Postby deerhart » Mon Oct 27, 2003 08:36 pm

Well it depends on what you want to do. You can call your doc tomorrow and ask for a 24 hour urine, nst, and to come in for BP checls every other day. If he refuses then request it be placed in your record (and write it down that you requested it, the date, time, who you told, their response etc..) and then call antoher doc. Then go in and get your medical file (all of it).

If your truely concenred right now, then head to the hospital. Once at the hospital you can request the on staff ob instead of having them contact your doctor.
You can get PE in a second pregnancy and swelling and weight gain is not really concidered a major symptomn of PE anymore. The protien, BP, and seeing spots are much more telling of whats going on. If your getting pressures of 130/85 lying down, you can estimate that your about 140/95 sitting up (it was for me about a 10 point difference minimum).
Most on staff ob's will take protien in your urine fairly seriously, its the people that lack protien they tend to brush off.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby annegarrett » Mon Oct 27, 2003 08:40 pm

We can't "officially" comment on any Doctor here (liability) and would have to edit out any names (which is why we edited out the above) but have friends who are in Roanoke and very very good high risk (hypertension) doc who can tell me--I will email him and cc you.

You are absolutely doing the right thing. You need a doctor who at a minimum treats you well. You are right to be proactive. You could just go anywhere at this point but it sounds like you have gotten some good names and pointed in the right direction. It would be unethical for a doctor to turn you away right now. Call me at the office--1-800-665-9341 if that happens and we will help you sort out something appropriate. I am sure it won't though.

You take care--take a DEEP breath and know you are doing the right thing.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby taras mom » Mon Oct 27, 2003 09:03 pm

I can't imagine that a high-risk OB won't take you immediately; by this time tomorrow, I'm sure you'll be in good hands. If not, Anne is on the case! (My first thought was that you should just show up at the hospital of your choice and fake labor until they check you in [;)], but you already have a better plan.)

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby natan » Mon Oct 27, 2003 09:40 pm

It is a shame that Dr's can be one of the main causes of a bp raising. You would think that the Dr' would try and calm you down. That's why they call it a "white coat syndrome". [:(!]

Please, take care of your self and take it easy. Take a friend w/ you if you can.

Deborah
natan

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced