What is the next step after preconception testing?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What is the next step after preconception testing?

Postby nora » Wed Oct 29, 2003 04:38 pm

Hello
I had preeclampcia with my first pregnancy and my son was born at 26 weeks. My preclampcia was severe.
I am planning on seeing a perinatalogist for a precoception consultation. I have the list provided on this board of all the tests needed before getting pregnant. What is the next step after all these tests are done. What if they all came back negative? What if some of them came back positive? Is there a treatment for each one of these conditions?

Thank you

Nora
nora

Re : What is the next step after preconception testing?

Postby julie f » Wed Oct 29, 2003 06:03 pm

Hi Nora,

I also delivered at 26 weeks, in July. In September, I met with the peri who delivered my son to talk about future pregnancies. He performed all of the tests mentioned here (except Factor V, he said it was not necessary although I'm going to beg for it again before we start TTC) and all of the results came back normal. So, he said the next steps for us would be to get ourselves emotionally and physically ready to try again.

I'm not sure what the treatments are if some tests come back positive but, I'm sure someone here will have the answer! As far as negative results though, for our specific case, next steps = we were told to keep taking prenatals, add the Vit C & E, calcium and baby aspirin once we started trying. In the meantime, it was also recommended that we start an exercise program. So, it's off to the gym I go...[8D]

Good luck at your appointment!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Re : What is the next step after preconception testing?

Postby taras mom » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:01 pm

I delivered at 26 weeks, too. Six months later I had my peri consult. He tested for all the usual things and found elevated prolactin and an MTHFR mutation but normal homocysteine; all other tests were negative. I've been on high-folate prenatal vitamins for the MTHFR, and the high prolactin resolved on its own. My regular doctor also recommended low-dose aspirin as a precaution (partly because of a family hx of hypertension and stroke), but none of them have recommended extra C, E, and calcium. Green light!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to Ask the Experienced