Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Mary-chance of pp HELLP recurrence

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Mary-chance of pp HELLP recurrence

Postby paljane8 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 04:50 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 04:50 pm

Hey Mary,

I saw that you posted under the ask the experts-which is the best place to ask. Because I was not paying attention, I did some research for you. Here is what I found out:

About 30% of women in a study done by Witlin and Sibai (BTW, Sibai is quoted in several articles I read) develop PP HELLP. Because there is not much research into it, they put those women in with the HELLP during preg. stats. Those who develop class 1 HELLP have between 19-27% of recurrence. (This percentence is all over the board-but, most articles agree that it is up to apprx 30%) If you have PE and HELLP (which I see you did) you have a higher chance at getting PE in subsequent pregs. If you develop HELLP before 28 wks you are at higher risk for it again and for PE. The over all percentage is 4% chance of recurrence for those who develop HELLP. Let me just say that I found other info that indicates that it could be higher-like 20%. Interestingly, they say HELLP is less severe in subsequent pregs. I wonder if other women here who have had the experience of HELLP more than once would agree. If you are interested in reading more this (very long) article is good. http://www.turner-white.com/pdf/hp_feb99_hemolysis.pdf Scroll down to pages 44 & 45 for info on PP HELLP and reccurence.

Any way you look at it, it is expecially important for you to watch your symptoms carefully. Report anything unusual and certainly anything that may feel like HELLP ie. severe upper quadrant pain, nausea, vomitting etc. Many women felt flu like a few days before they developed HELLP. Watch yourself like a hawk!

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Return to Ask the Experienced