Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New, Any advice?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New, Any advice?

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 02, 2003 03:45 pm

HI. I am now 12 wks pg with hyperemesis. I am on Zofran, Zantac, Ambien, Remeron and steroids.
At wk 8 my BP began to rise. My last HG pg, my BP was always dangerously low.
My BP is now up to 155/90. My norm is close to 100/70. My Ob said it is chronic hypertension, not preg induced because it came on so early. She is not sure it is from the steroids, as it began to rise before the steroids and continues to rise sinse I have been tapering from the steroids. She did say I was at an increased risk of pre e. I also have sugar in my urine and we have to watch for GD as well.
My niece had HG her entire PG. She developed high BP early on too and ended up delivering early due to PRE E.
Is there anything I could do to keep an eye on this? Are there any other EARLY sypmtoms I can watch for. MY OB says Pre e does not show up until after 24 wks.
Some other problems I have are I have an awful pain on my right, just under my ribs and it goes around to my back. My gallbladder checked out to be fine as my liver bloodwork was too. he pain can get very severe and at times causing very forcefull vomiting. I cannot sleep on my right.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jen
jjbeck

Re : New, Any advice?

Postby deerhart » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:24 am

symptomns of PE can show up well prior to 24 weeks and can officail be diagnossed after 20 weeks.

Personally, in my first pregnancy I had symptomns of rising BP from at least 14 weeks on until my BP hit 140/90 at around 24-26 weeks.

Basically, if you have any right side rib area pain, blurred vision, protien in your urine, racing pulse, elevated BP, seeing spots/stars/floaters, etc.. your doc should take these symptomns seriously. These symptomns are not only found in PE but also in many other illnesses that can occur in life and in pregnancy and shouldn't be ignored or put off as normal pregnancy stuff (because its NOT normal!)
Problems can include things like dehydration, thyroid, etc..

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby deerhart » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:28 am

oh I should add
first you need to check what the side effects are to the medications you are taking.

2nd on the rib pain, does it stay all the time? Does it come and go? Does it pulse? Can you pin point to a part in your mid to lower back?

I have had back pain (I often do LOL) but the 2 that killed my the most was a torn rib muscle (had that while pregnant felt like I had apendicitis) and when I had pneamonia. Though, with Pneamonia it really only hurt in my back (it felt like I had a huge huge bruise on my back, very tender to the touch etc..)

Have you been checked for rebound pain? It could be apendicitis (though they may have ruled that out with your gall bladder) and have you tried taking any deinflamitories to see if that helped (they finally put me on some to see if that helped and thats when we found the actual hole in my rib cage muscle)

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 09, 2003 04:55 pm

Hello. They still dont know what the pain is. My OB is more concerned and puzzled by my High BP.SHe recently decided to hand me over to my peri for full care. I have an appt with him wed. will ask him. The pain is under my ribs, both front and back. It gets worse each day, It actually feels like my ribs are breaking after I eat. It also gets wrse when laying on my side. When I get the pain in my back, I can sometimes relieve it by putting pressure on it. Today, I got the usual pain after aeting and put a cylinder shaped object where the pain was , applied pressure by leaning back and and that brought some relief. Now the frontal pain, it hurts if I put any pressure on it.
I am wndering about hiatal hernis or something like that. Who knows.
I just want to find out what it is.
As far as the meds, none cause high bp except possible steroids. But both my OB and my peris nurse said it was not from the steroids as it began rising before steroids and since I have been decreasing.

Now whats new is, I began usimg the urine strips. I got the multistix. Not just to monitor the protein, I know it is too early for PRE E 13 wks, but to watch for other things as well.
Last night I had the highest reading of glucose, and trace amounts of protein.
This AM , I had small amount of protein and and NO protein, BUT I had trace amounts of blood and moderate amounts of leukocytes.
I dont know what this means, hopfully nothing. I just cannot read my body anymore. I dont know whats what and I dont think IT knows either. It is so inconsistant. I feel so fragile it is frusterating...I am only 13 weeks...it is not supposed to be like this.
:(

jjbeck

Postby angelical » Mon Nov 10, 2003 05:27 am

Have you heard of HELLP Syndrome, Jen?

That pain sounds like what many HELLP patients experience. I can't say for sure, as that is one symptom I don't think I had with it.

I suggest talking to your doctor about it, and if she doesn't act like she knows what HELLP is, then get a second opinion. (Unfortunately, many docs don't know much about HELLP)

Any other HELLP ladies out there that want to get more advice?

I had the liver/kidney/platelet problems, but I didn't get the pain (unless I was too out of it that day to realize it) so I can't say for sure.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Return to Ask the Experienced