New/Reply FAQ Members Login

To exercise or not to excersise???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

To exercise or not to excersise???

Postby jjbeck » Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:00 am

Hello all. I have only a member of these forums for a ahort time and apologise for bombaring with questions, but I am also new to high BP during pg.
I have a question about excersise. I know when non pg people have BP excersize is recommended, but is it in PG woman? I ask this as I just came in from getting my mail which is a bit of a walk. Because I also have hyperemesis, I really have not been getting much excersise.
Anyway, I just checked my BP after my short walk and it was 160/86. The highest it has been so far.
Thanks
Jen
jjbeck

Re : To exercise or not to excersise???

Postby paljane8 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:41 am

Hi Jen,

This is question for your dr. Mine recommended walking daily for the first part of the preg. (Even while I was on modified bedrest) But, when my bp was rising inspite of walking and meds. I was restricted to full bedrest. Call your doc and see what he/she says. Let us know.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby laura » Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:46 am

I think in general, walking is a great idea-- there's even a study going on to see if exercise prevents preeclampsia.

BUT yup, I'm with Nance on this one (like I'm never NOT[:D]) I think you should consult with your doc if your BP rises like that with moderate activity. BP's with systolics of 160 can really damage your blood vessels and placenta.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:30 am

I am in aggreement with Laura and Nancy. You should consult with your provider about how much exercise is OK for you. I have always heard that walking is great during pregnancy, but anything more than that can be too much during pregnancy. You should only be exercising a lot if you were already doing so prior to conception and only if you are physically able to. Remember the more you exercise the more you need to be taking in - eating and drinking tons of water. With hyperemesis you are already losing so much that your body and baby needs.
Please take care of yourself!
All the best,
Suzanna

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." - Thoreau

DS 3/25/95
DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby jjbeck » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:53 am

HI Suzy,yes I was losing a lot with the hyperemesis. After Zofran failed me again, I went on the steroids. With the steroids, I began gaining wt, actually 30 pounds within 3 or 4 wks.It took me wks to get to the point where I could walk to another room without getting ectremely nauseous and throwing up. ANyway, after o month of barely any excersise, I just dont know how much I should be pushing myself. I get pit of breath and dizzy so easily now. My body sure has gone through some rapid changes lately, not only thew rapid wt loss and then rapid gain but the increasing bp as well.
I am now eating about 2200 calories a day which I read is about right in pg...but getting very little excersize. I tried the treadmill yesterday for a couple of minutes and it really wiped me out and raised my bp.
Before bp, I excersized alot and ate very well.
Now....geeze just the shortest walk and I feel like I ran a marathon.
jjbeck

Postby taras mom » Tue Nov 04, 2003 02:04 pm

Did you recheck your bp after resting up from your walk? Your doctor may ask you to monitor that, to see how long it takes to go back to normal.

I agree with the others that you should ask your doctor what's best for YOU, but all my doctors said I should continue my normal exercise routine (30-60 minutes 5-7x/wk) as long as I felt up to it and as long as I stayed hydrated, even after hypertension set in and I started meds. I'm really glad I did because it made it a lot easier to recover afterward, and it kept depression away.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby jjbeck » Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:26 pm

Yes I rechecked it a few minutes later and it went down to 138/90. But then an hour later, it was back up to 158/111 with a heart rate of 124. That was during a mild anxiety attack. I have an appt with my cardio on monday, I will see what her input is on it.
Thanks everyone
Jen
jjbeck

Postby jjbeck » Thu Nov 06, 2003 05:47 pm

Well I spoke with my OB today, she says NO excersize. This is frusterating as I have gained 30 pounds in the past 3 weeks from the steroids. I am only 13 weeks. I have always been very thin and this rapid weight gain for me is very uncomfortable. She went on to say she is stumped by my high BP that it is too early PIH, but I have have never had high bp before pg...was always on the low end. She decided she wanted to hand total care over to my peri. I guess this is a good thing.
Jen
jjbeck

Postby taras mom » Fri Nov 07, 2003 03:38 am

Indeed it is! I hope your peri is able to help; it's awfully early for you to be large and sedentary. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to Ask the Experienced