34wks, doctor not worried yet?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

34wks, doctor not worried yet?

Postby buffy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 07:46 am

I am 34 wks and have had some pretty bad swelling ever since the 27wk. I have been told to cut out all salt and put up my feet all day, which I have been doing. However, my blood pressure has gone up from 110/70 to 137/85 and I have gained a total of 48lbs so far, 8 of those in the past two weeks! I eat right and don't over do it but I am worried. The doctor said yesterday that I have "trace amounts of this and that" in my urine this time but he acted as if he wasn't worried. I don't go back for another 2 weeks and am worried that when I do go back that they may say that I have pre-e. Shou;d I be? It seems to me from what I have read that the symptoms are there but I'm not sure. Can you give me some more insight to this?[?]
Thank You in advance, Buffy
first time mom, Due Dec. 16
buffy

Re : 34wks, doctor not worried yet?

Postby annegarrett » Thu Nov 06, 2003 09:00 am

Hey Buffy,

I am sure you are worried. Trace something in the urine means "trace amounts of protein in the urine". Trace can mean you have a slight infection or it can mean early preeclampsia. Your BP and weight gain are also signs of preeclampsia so you may be right--you may be developing preeclampsia. Did you read our signs and symptoms page? Go to the Home page and click on About preeclampsia and read the signs and symptoms. Also--I would call back and ask to be seen in a week. Tell them that you spoke to the Preeclampsia Foundation and we recommend that anyone after 20 weeks pregnancy with trace proteinuria and borderline high BP have a 24 hour urine test to rule out preeclampsia. Say it very matter of factly. If they say that they will do that in two weeks--say--I would like to have it done this week. If they still say they want to wait--say--I need you to note in my records that I have requested a 24 hour urine and you don't think it is necessary. CHECK and be sure they note this. You have to ask and you have to look. I know this is tough--asserting yourself about these things but practice the words above and try to keep emotions calm and just give it a shot. Good doctors will do the test without arguing. Sometimes a nurse will try to field the situation and may encourage you to relax. You are relaxed--you are asking for a normal and appropriate follow-up test. Remind yourself that this is important for you and the baby.

Take care and let us know if we can help in any way,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby buffy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 09:44 am

I just spoke with the PA at my Ob and she said that she wouldn't do that yet unless I was getting headaches, seeing spots, having pain under my ribs, etc. However she did tell me that there was a lottle of blood and glutes in my urine along with a very minute trace of protein(which she said that was normal). Since I didn't have any symptoms of an infection like pain or cramping they didn't worry about that either. So I let her know that I was worried and she said that she would note our conversation and if I feel any of those other symptoms to give them a call right away. Thank you for your quick response and I will keep on them.
Thanks,
Buffy
Have a Blessed Day!
buffy

Postby buffy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:28 am

I heard that there is a test strip that I can get from the pharmacy that will allow me to test the protein levels at home. But when I called the pharmacist they said that Reagent Strips was a broad group and the strips that I was looking for are called Keto Sticks. However, after looking that up I found that those measure Carbohydrates or something. Could you tell me what these strips are called exactly?
Thank You,
Buffy
buffy

Postby buffy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 08:53 am

We had a scare today. She didn;t move all morning, which is not normal because she is usually very active. So I drank orange juice and tried to get her to move but nohting. I continued my morning ritual of geting ready for work and then went to work, still nothing. Then my back started to hurt, like tingling, then pain. So I decided to go get my blood pressure taken by a doctor, and of course it was high (150/100 twice) so I called my Obgyn and they told me to come in right away. They put me on the monitors for about a half an hour and finally she moved(a whole bunch!) then they tested the urine which apparently had more "trace amounts" of something, took my vitals (BP- 130/70, I lost 4 pounds in two days also) so after all of that I guess I got myself more worked up more than anything, but they did decide to do a blood work up(they said something about my liver). So I guess that Monday when it comes back from the lab we may know something.
Buffy
buffy

Postby newmommymar04 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:12 am

Im new to this but....

well if worse comes to worse you could tell a little white lie and pretend to see spots or have headaches to get them to do the 24hour urine.??? ( dunno if Im wayy out of line here by saying that )

Im only 23 wks pregnant and not seeing any simptoms besides bp's in the 138/80 to 140/90 range yet my dr has ordered blood work and I do a 24 hour urine monday. I also have NO protein in my urine but I was told by a member here to tell my doctor I want it to get a 24 hour urine to get a baseline and he said "okay whatever makes you feel better".

You may want to DEMAND this from your doctor!

Good luck..
You will be in my prayers..
newmommymar04

Postby laura » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:33 am

New Mommy- good for you! I'm glad you asked for and got your 24 hour urine!

I would hold off on reporting visual disturbances falsely, tho. The visual disturbances are indicative of brain swelling, and could signal impending seizures or brain bleeding. If you tell them that they could decide to just deliver you.

Buffy- the pharmacist was right- reagent strip is just the general term for all the little strips you dip in urine- and they could check for glucose, ketones, (these are for diabetics) OR Protein for kidney concerns. You want the protein strips. Most pharmacies will have the ones for diabetics, you probably should call around to check for protein strips. I found mine on the third call.

Now- this baby not moving thing isn't so good. Be sure to do your kick counts, and if you don't meet your quota go STRAIGHT to Labor and delivery for monitoring- do not pass go, do not collect $200.

And, given your symptoms, given the baby's slowing of movement, the trace protein, rapid weight gain, etc. I would call back and leave a message for your ob him or herself and avoid the PA. Your ob probably has the most experience with PE and high risk pregnancies and probably the most appreciation for how dangerous PE pregnancies can get.

Personally, I'd just make another appointment, request to see the doc only, make a list of what's going on, and talk about your concerns specifically. Please let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby catherine » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:47 am

Buffy, forgive me for sticking my oar in here. If they took blood to screen for elevated liver enzymes I sincerely hope that they are getting the results back TODAY!!!! What did they say when you left the office, that they would call you if there was a problem but otherwise not to worry? Please don't think that I'm encouraging you to be a nag but peace of mind would be getting a call from these folks as soon as they've seen the result to reassure you that you have normal platelet levels and no signs of elevation on the assays that assess liver function. When you see the doctor next, ask what they checked, what are acceptable numbers and then where did you come. When they do this kind of study they are checking for HELLP, a very unpleasant varient of preeclampsia.

Take care, one way or another you don't have much further to go!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby jjbeck » Fri Nov 07, 2003 04:42 pm

Hi. I am only 13 weeks but my bp has been going crazy since 7 wks. I was always on the low end. uBut now up and down, 160/111 down to 127/79 . My hr shoots up 120, even at rest, but usually lingers around 100.
Anyway, I know it is too early for me to get preeclampsia, but I went ahead and ordered the Multistix 10 S G Reagent Strips for Urinalysis, Tests for 10 separate reagents in Urine. I read a gov doc about hellp occurring very early though it is very rare. Anyway, I will start checking at 14 wks just for peace of mind. I have a lot of swelling in my face, which is most likely do to steroids but the OB said I have not been on the steroids long enough for this to happen. On top of that, I gained 30 pounds in three weeks....this is probably the steroids as well.
I ordered the strips from drugstore.com. You can opt to have them overnighted to you.
Good luck,
Jen
jjbeck

Postby buffy » Mon Nov 10, 2003 06:06 am

I did not know whtat exactly they were looking for and I'm sure they didn't tell me so that I wouldn't worry myself all weekend. They send the test about 100 miles away to a lab(since we don't have one here in our little town) and they said they would get the results back today(monday). So as far as I know I will get a call if there is something wrong and if there's not then I won't. But you are right I will call them today and ask what the results were and for them to explain them to me. I looked up HELLP and am not pleased with them for not atleast truying to warn me about this. Now, if there is something wrong, I will have to try to explain it to my husband and then tell hime why I didn't prepare him for it either. I can't stand that! I like to be as prepared and ready as possible. This doctor is definately going to get it when I see him next, it's my babies and my helath were talking about and I think that I should be let in on it! Thank you all for giving me such confident and loving advice. We really appreciate it! I will keep you posted.
Have a Blessed Day!
Buffy
buffy

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced