Post Reply FAQ Members Login

URINE STRIPS

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

URINE STRIPS

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 09, 2003 05:03 pm

by jjbeck (413 Posts), Sun Nov 09, 2003 05:03 pm

Hello all. Even though I am only 13 weeks, a nurse friend of mine recommend I get the multistix urine strips. Not only to to check for protein but also gluose as it has bee showing up.
Well I just got them.
Last nightm my glucose was the highest possble reading and I had trace protein.
This morning, glucose was only at a small amount and there was NO protein, BUT there was trace amounts of blood and moderate amount of leukocytes.
Anyone familiar with the mutistix?
How accurate are they?
Thanks
Jen

jjbeck

Re : URINE STRIPS

Postby laura » Sun Nov 09, 2003 06:57 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Nov 09, 2003 06:57 pm

sweetie, if you have leukocytes and blood, you should call your doc soon- you could have an infection. The readings can vary according to how concentrated your urine is, but I'm not familiar with how accurate they are. Regardless, it does warrant a call in to your doc.
Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 09, 2003 07:20 pm

by jjbeck (413 Posts), Sun Nov 09, 2003 07:20 pm

Thanks, I figured the doc would say I had an infection. The thing is, I have interstitial cystitis and have had countless UTIs. I usually far ahead of time if I am about to get one.
Is is possible to have a kidney infection without urinary pain? Cold this possible be related to the pain I have been having under my ribs?
What does the trace protein mean? I also have small ketones. I am well hydrated and agining wt, not losing.
jjbeck

Postby laura » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:39 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:39 pm

I think this is why a trip to the doc would be a good idea- the ketones could be related to the hyperemesis or they're often associated with diabetes... as is the glucose. I don't know of what else the glucose is associated with, other than the urine dips for glucose are nonprecise to the point that diabetics are still forced to monitor their blood to assess their levels.

Protein can be associated with kidney issues, preeclampsia, or bladder infections (in fact, with most women, if you have a trace of protein, they often will go ahead and treat you for UTI assuming that it's not kidney ailments causing it)

Leukocytes are a type of white blood cells (? I think, I could and probably am wrong) and are associated with specifically with infection.

The right sided pain could be gall bladder, liver, muscle strain, etc. The nausea could be hyperemesis (and I know how it feels!!!) or nausea from pyelonephritis, even. Appendix is on the right side, too, though it's lower than the ribs. I do remember when I was getting an ultrasound done on my kidneys, they scanned my side- down from my armpit, at the level of my ribs for one of the kidneys, but I can't remember which side that was.

With that many differentials, it's impossible to guess. It's definitely time to go see the doc. The lab strips are the preliminary- hey is everything clear- sort of thing. They tell you if there's anything broadly wrong, so you know to follow up with blood testing, to start ruling stuff out, and narrowing down the field of potential ills.

hmm, now you've got me curious!!! Call your doc first thing, make an appointment right away, and settle this mystery for me, at least!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck » Mon Nov 10, 2003 06:19 am

by jjbeck (413 Posts), Mon Nov 10, 2003 06:19 am

I have an appt with my oeri on wed. Glucose was fine this AM, so I am assuming it only rises during the day from eating.

Yes leuks are wbc and often rise due to infection, but I have been told they rise with pg too. Now with the blood elevated a little too, I thought infection, but I am certian I do not have a UTI. I have interstitial cystitis and have gotten countless utis. I usually know far before there is blood in urine if I am getting one.
I have never had a kidney infection that I know of, this I think is what I was concerned about as the right side pain is still a mystery.
I guess I will have to wait and see.
Thanks
Jen
jjbeck

Return to Ask the Experienced