Antidepressants and pregnancy?!?!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Antidepressants and pregnancy?!?!

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 13, 2003 05:58 pm

Kind of embaressing..but I have a question.
Is there anyone taking an antidepressant while pregnant. If you feel uncomfortable posting you may email me directly.

I have been on zoloft for about 2 years. My OB changed me to Wellbutrin because it was in a better class. But kind of left it up to me. Well...it does not do nothing for me. She stated today that the Wellbutrin can sometimes raise your BP. So, I stated to her that it really is not helping, and I wanted to see about going back on my zoloft. She agreed and said that this would be fine. I understand that Zoloft is a class C (Research says ok, but not alot done.) The Wellbutrin was a Class B (Research says ok, more research done.) Anyway...my question I guess was more along the lines of antidepressants and pregnancy in general. Anyone relate????

Thanks bunches...I am not psycho, I promise! HA HA [:p]

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Re : Antidepressants and pregnancy?!?!

Postby jjbeck » Thu Nov 13, 2003 06:34 pm

First, I dont think it is an embaressing quetsion.

I had been on zoloft during my last pg and know many woman on zoloft during pg. Afte PG, I switched to wellbutron as the class worked better for me. If Zoloft works for you I think you should stay with it.
Wellbutron, just bumped up to class B not too long ago. It works on different chems then zoloft does and may not work for you.
Not only that but it is a stim, and yes it can cause your BP to increase.
I would think that your history of PRE E your doc would want to avoid this one.
I am on remeron now...partly to avoid depression, I get it during and after pg, but I also use it for treatment of hyperemesis.
I loved the wellbutron, but did not feel comforatble being on during pg...even though it was bumped up to a class B.
Good luck and feel free to email me
Jen
Mainiacs97@aol.com
jjbeck

Postby taras mom » Fri Nov 14, 2003 02:55 am

This is a good question! I was advised not to use antidepressants during pregnancy, but in my case the question was more academic (I hadn't been on anything and was considered borderline depressed at most). After three babies and two years of Zoloft you probably can predict how discontinuing meds will affect you, but maybe not. Have you considered a drug holiday?

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Nov 14, 2003 06:21 am

A drug holiday? I think you lost me! lol

More so of the zoloft for mood swings. I can get soooo unbelievably crabby and irritable if I am not on Zoloft. I pointed out to my Dr that I thought me NOT being on this could be making my BP rise, as I dont have the patience as I normally do. I told her at this point, I thought being on zoloft is probably better for the baby than my BP being up so high and possibly affecting the baby. Suprisingly she definately agreed! Plus, its just not fair to my kids and I feel like such a horrible mom!

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Postby michaela » Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:35 am

Hi,
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. If I didn't take my meds I probably would be locked in a padded room or divorced[:)] I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin together. I have clinical depression as well as anxiety. The combination works great for me. I have taken Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft alone, Wellbutrin alone and this combo works great for me. The Zoloft alone caused weight gain and decrease in sexual desire and my anxiety wasn't any better. My therapist calls it Welloft. Because it works so well for many women. I did not know Wellbutrin caused high BP. Mine did not go up till 34 weeks into my preg. I would have gone off the Wellbutrin to nurse however on the advice of my psychiatrist. Zoloft has alot more research pertaining to nursing.
I feel given my experience that you being healthy and feeling good is what's really important. Your BP would probably go up just with the stress caused by not being on your meds. I also have a very short temper when unmedicated and everything is blown out of proportion. Combine that with hormones and you could be in a lot of trouble. The main thing is talk to your psychiatrist. Listen to your heart, pray about it and do what you know is right for your family.

Michaela 34
DH Ken 37
DS Joshua 7 yrs
DD Kennedy 4 yrs
DD Kathryn 3yrs
Our little angel Jared 34 wks stillborn 10/31/03 due to PE
michaela

Postby jabeau » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:57 am

Hi, just thought I would put my two cents in. I had two daughters both about a month apart in their pregnancies. Both of them were on Paxil for depression and anxiety. The youngest one had PE. but the baby is fine nothing to do with the medicine and the other daughter's baby is fine too. Both of their Doctors which were completely different doctors advised them that since they had been taken Paxil for a while it would be better for them to stay on the Paxil. No harm done to the babies and much happily people for not going through getting off the medicine. Hope this helps some.
And by the way lots of people have trouble with depression, nothing to be ashamed of. Some people just turn to alcohol or other things. Good luck to you.
Julie
jabeau

Postby jjbeck » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:18 am

I think that most professionals familar with depression, agree that it is safer to ON the antidepressents than off, if the woamn has depression. Not only for the mother, but for the baby too.
I think that I have read where those who have gone off antidepressants due to preg not only pose risk to themselves, but to their babies as well.
Here is a link full of info on depression and pg.

http://www.pregnancyanddepression.com/sitesbydrug.html

Good luck.
Jen
jjbeck

Postby sherry fisher » Mon Nov 17, 2003 06:33 am

Wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted. I have started back on the zoloft. Seen a change within 4 days. No more snappy mommy or wife for that matter! I need my hubby to stick around as much as possible here~! lol

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Return to Ask the Experienced