New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Opinion about med's and doctor advice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Opinion about med's and doctor advice

Postby alysa » Sat Nov 15, 2003 08:10 pm

If diagnosed or even before any diagnosis research your symptoms, diagnosis, or meds. yourself so you can be educated and know what care or steps you want to take or tests if necessary, and also work with your doctor regarding decisions.

Always get a second Dr.'s opinion if you are unaware of meds. and research medication side effects yourself and ask also pharmacists.

Also don't wait for doctor's to help you if you don't agree with treatment speak up or seek another doctor. If your symptoms or concerns aren't being taken seriously demand (politely) an explanation of health steps, meds.-or alternatives if possible, preventitive measures and specific tests for your concerns. - Make sure your doctor is thoroughly caring for you. Make sure your questions are answered before the dr. leaves (or often times, rushes out of the room for another patient). Talk also to nurses, a lot of times they are also helpful.

For the person taking Atenolol (how ever that med is spelled?) I think I was prescribed that medication (for fast heart rate before pregnancy) and had the worst side effects with that med. than other medications - (I take none now) yet everyone is different, I did not respond well to other med's I tried also. Talk to your pharmacist - they are also helpful and could possibly tell you other suggestions you can ask your dr. about yourself.

Most important do not ignore your concerns and let them become worries. This will only add stress and not help. Make sure you are straight forward with your doctor and they are sincerely and thoroughly caring for you and your baby - if not go to a doctor that will. Afterall, it is your health and your health affects your child also - and you know your body better than anyone else - even the doctor.

(Taking my own advice),
Alysa
alysa

Re : Opinion about med's and doctor advice

Postby alysa » Sat Nov 15, 2003 08:19 pm

I realize I posted this msg. in the wrong forum as I am not an expert but only experienced and felt qualified to voice my opinion since I personally am doing better now that I am taking steps to care for myself rather than letting my health worries pile up. Also, I hope and send a prayer for all the mothers who have come to this site for help or concerns and their babies the best of care, healing, and protection and a well and healthy outcome.
God Bless, Alysa
alysa

Return to Ask the Experienced