Feeling dehydrated

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Feeling dehydrated

Postby mrsright41401 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 00:06 am

Hi everyone!

Ben is asleep and I'm still wide awake, so I thought I'd get on and ask a question. You all ahve been so good at answering our other questions, so here it goes.

All day today I have been feeling increasingly dehydrated. I have been draining 8 oz glasses of water about once ever 15-30 minutes if not more often. Nothing is helping! Nada. It's pure water, filtered and everything.

Can this be associated with PIH?

Lots of love,
Rachel[:D]
mrsright41401

Re : Feeling dehydrated

Postby laura » Tue Dec 02, 2003 00:28 am

Hey sweetie, how you hanging in there? we've all been worried about you, and just impressed with your honey.

re: all that fluid- have they checked you for gestational diabetes yet? Call your doc tomorrow. Or if it is keeping you awake, call Labor and Delivery right now and see what they say.

hang in there, and let us know how you're doing when you can![:X]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby sarahedgcomb » Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:48 am

Hi!

I hope you're feeling a little better now. Have you been feeling dehydrated or thirsty? If you've been feeling very thirsty, it could be associated with your kidneys - either dibetes or kidney damage. I don't want to scare you, but PIH does increase your chances of kidney damage.

I agree with Laura, if it's keeping you awake and you don't feel right, don't hesitate to call the hospital or go over there and have things checked out.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sarah
sarahedgcomb

Postby mrsright41401 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 am

I wish Rachel had woken me up. She tries to be so thoughtful of me. She has a doctors appointment tomorrow and we'll talk to the doctor about it. She feels farely normal today, just really thirsty.

Another TMI (she told me to type that) - her urine has been REALLY hot lately. Could that be related also?

Rachel (as typed by her husband Ben)
mrsright41401

Postby mada » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:41 am

Quick question, What color is her/your urine? When I was in to my second week of bedrest, my urine was very dark and felt hot as well. On a good note, it wasn't due to kidney issues from preeclampsia....Well, at least kidney funtion was normal in my blood panel....So, I know darker urine is a sign of dehydration, but with all the water you/she has been drinking, I don't have a good explanation[:p].

BTW, you guys are the sweetest couple together, both looking out for eachother, that's wonderful[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby catherine » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:42 am

Hi Ben, you guys are really hanging in there aren't you? I have no idea about stuff, if you have questions or concerns about it I vote that you phone the OB! We are all paranoid here and worry about things changing very fast. I do know that things to watch out for are a decrease in output and colour changes (cola colour). Is she taking any BP medications? The one that I came home from the hospital taking made me very thirsty, but also gave a very metallic taste in my mouth that made me want to drink even more.

I hope that tomorrow's appointment goes well, but if you are worried about anything, don't wait until then to talk to the doctor please.

Best wishes to both of you

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby annegarrett » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:33 am

As someone mentioned--excessive thirst is associated with diabetes and I know I had terrible thirst with my preeclampsia. It isn't listed as a classic sign because it is more anecdotal (not been studied, I don't think) but I agree with Catherine--if it is darker (like tea or cola), or hot, or infrequent, or excessive thirst--it is worth a call into the OB on call. You are never bothering an OB on call at night--those folks are on paid time--and your insurance pays them (or your Medicare, or hard earned cash!) so consider them on the clock and call them!!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced