severe pain on right side

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Re : severe pain on right side

Postby jenndola » Sat Mar 11, 2006 03:02 am

Please let us know how you're doing. I'll feel better once I read that you've been checked out and things are okay.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Fri Mar 10, 2006 09:18 pm

Echoing the other ladies, please get checked out. You don't have to have all the symptoms at once for there to be a real problem on your hands. Good luck and let us know what happens.

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 08:02 pm

I agree please go in and get checked it is better to be safe than sorry, L and D can have blood work, urine dips etc done and let you know the results usually in a short amount of time. Good luck and please keep us updated.

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 05:48 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Catherine and Julie. I had the upper abdominal pain before any other symptom. Also, I never had protein in my urine. Get checked out! :) Hopefully it is nothing.

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Mar 10, 2006 05:38 pm

Just wanted to echo Catherine - let your doctor be the one to let you know what this pain is. Visual disturbances, nausea, upper right quadrant pain - all are the "get-checked-right-now" kinds of symptoms.

Please let us know,

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:04 am

When you are worried about something.... the best thing to do is to get it checked out. Either call your OB's office and arrange to be seen asap, or just take the L&D route. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Being symptomatic, e.g. visual disturbances, headache, nausea and vomiting or the infamous gastric pain, especially in the third trimester should never be ignored. Nothing beats knowing that your BP is good, there's no protein in your urine and nothing on bloodwork. Not that it's any guarantee against a future issue, but it could resolve your current worries.

Hopefully, this is just a little scare and heaven knows, we are so vulnerable to them, especially when you've been through the preeclampsia experience. Even if this proves to be nothing more than a little hiccup, it's a golden opportunity to have a serious discussion with your medical care providers about your particular risks etc, and what they consider appropriate "bugging". To make it through to the end of your pregnancy without feeling like an emotional wreck you do need to find a way to partner with your OB to make sure that you are recieving an appropriate level of monitoring and surveillance. Asking about a "plan" or outlining different senarios can be a good way to get the conversation going.

Let us know how you are doing,

jilliramie

severe pain on right side

Postby jilliramie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:36 am

I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy, and so maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I woke up the other night with unbelievable pain on my right side up near my ribs. I've been seeing spots, really nauseous, and don't know if I should be bugging my doctor more about this. They checked my BP the other day and said it was fine and my urine was fine. Should I be worried and watching myself really closely? I'm in so much pain that I can hardly do anything! I've heard that these things can be more subtle symptoms (last time I just had major swelling and high BP and those were the two major warnings), but I don't know if I'm just overly worried or if I have reason to be concerned! Please help!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”