Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Not sure what's going on

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Not sure what's going on

Postby natalie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:53 pm

by natalie (4 Posts), Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:53 pm

[size=3][/size=3]

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant and for the last four weeks my BP has jumped around all over the place. It is now at 140/80. I have a 3+ protein reading. I have gained 5lbs this last week (seemingly 2.5lbs in each foot!).

I am asking for advice from anyone as I live in Thailand and although my Dr is great I am not totally comfortable with my situation even though he doesn't seem to be worried. He does say that it looks like I have Pre-eclampsia. I have been told to 'rest a lot' but nothing else.

I understand that protein spillage indcates kidney problems but is it likely they will induce labour solely because of this? How dangerous is it to have a high protein spillage reading? Should I be drinking a lot more water to combat it?

I am sure that to the more experienced of you out there these questions are dumb but I can't find the answers elsewhere. I read information and the next bit I read contradicts it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Natalie
natalie

Re : Not sure what's going on

Postby mada » Fri Dec 05, 2003 07:11 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Fri Dec 05, 2003 07:11 am

Hi Natalie, That protien reading is a bit worriesome. You should defenitley be bed resting it, but I would also ask my doc about having a 24 hour urine collection to see exactly how much protien is coming out. ( you have to pee in a jug at home for 24 hours and bring it back to the hospital)...and for a blood test to see how kidney and liver function is as well as your platlet levels and uric acid level....Since you are 36 weeks if these levels seem too high, inducing should be done, I think. My opinion, I am not a Doc....My son was born at 36 weeks and did great. Goodluck and let us know how everything goes[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby natalie » Sun Dec 07, 2003 05:47 am

by natalie (4 Posts), Sun Dec 07, 2003 05:47 am

Thank you very much for your reply Mada, I will ask the Dr about the 24 hour sample at my next visit. I think it is time I became a little bit more forceful[:)]
natalie

Postby annegarrett » Sun Dec 07, 2003 09:57 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sun Dec 07, 2003 09:57 am

That is very concerning levels of proteinuria. I would call the doctor before your next visit--tomorrow--and ask for a 24 hour urine. You also want to monitor the baby's kicks. The problem with preeclampsia is that it causes blood clots in the placenta and eventually the placenta will separate from the uterus. Before the happens your placenta may be allowing less nutrients and oxygen to the baby so the concern is that the preeclampsia is compromising the baby's health. To determine whether or not this is the case in places like the US or the UK--they do an ultrasound and/or a non-stress test. You can do a "lay version" by counting kicks. Particularly given how close to term you are--the goal is to just buy you and the baby time. Since you have no blood pressure problems--they cannot give you antihypertensives (though what is your BP normally--if you are smaller--or younger--your normal BP might be actually elevated and you only have a 140/80 BP.) At this point--all they can do is deliver the baby and while 36 weeks is fine in the US--you probably want to get the baby more time in Thailand. I am not trying to frighten you but you will need to be very diligent. Check for baby kicks every hour, ask for a 24 hour urine, ask your doctor when he might plan on inducing and stay in bed. Someone else will need to take care of the house...lie on your left side and stay down. You should not be doing any cooking, shopping, cleaning or child care--you should be in bed all day except when at the doctor's.

Please let us know how you are doing.

We care.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby natalie » Sat Dec 13, 2003 09:39 pm

by natalie (4 Posts), Sat Dec 13, 2003 09:39 pm

Thank you very much for your advice. I went back to the hospital after receiving your replies and my BP was 160/110. I was admittted straight away and they performed an emergency ceaserean.

My little son Oscar was born on the 8th of December and although a little small (5lb 2oz) is healthly and strong.

I just want to say thanks to both of you (Mada and Anne) for taking the time to reply to my posting. If you hadn't I would have waited until my next check up and it's possible myself and my baby wouldn't be sitting here now.

Many thanks,

Natalie and Oscar
natalie

Postby natalie » Sat Dec 13, 2003 09:41 pm

by natalie (4 Posts), Sat Dec 13, 2003 09:41 pm

Thank you very much for your advice. I went back to the hospital after receiving your replies and my BP was 160/110. I was admittted straight away and they performed an emergency ceaserean.

My little son Oscar was born on the 8th of December and although a little small (5lb 2oz) is healthly and strong.

I just want to say thanks to both of you (Mada and Anne) for taking the time to reply to my posting. If you hadn't I would have waited until my next check up and it's possible myself and my baby wouldn't be sitting here now.

Many thanks,

Natalie and Oscar
natalie

Postby julie f » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:16 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:16 pm

Natalie,

Congratulations to you and your family!!! What a wonderful Christmas present! I am so happy to hear that you and Oscar are both healthy and home!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby catherine » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:08 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:08 am

Yes, congratulations Natalie, I'm so glad that you took Mada and Anne's advice. Oscar is such a wonderful Christmas present! Don't worry about the growing, all my kids were born at about 36 weeks and weighed between 4lb 15 oz and 5 lb 7 oz. They grew like weeds.... I just can't slow them down!!! I used to tell people when they peeked at my babies in their carseats, "just like a baby only smaller"!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby paljane8 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 08:38 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Sun Dec 14, 2003 08:38 pm

Big congrats, Natalie! Welcome Oscar. Let us know how you both are doing, ok?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby mada » Mon Dec 15, 2003 07:07 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Mon Dec 15, 2003 07:07 am

Natalie, How exciting!! Oh, I am so glad that everything worked out! Oscar is such a great name[:)]. Sam was 5 lbs. 3 oz. When he was born at 36 weeks and he is now a vibrant 70percentile 3 and a half year old!! We would love to see some pics when you get sometime... You can get a free web page for Oscar at www.babiesonline.com.

Again many congrats and I am so glad everything turned out well!! How are you feeling?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced