Almost 36 Weeks...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Almost 36 Weeks...

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 01:17 am

Hi Tina and welcome,

Yeah, the tricky thing about preeclampsia is that often the symptoms are pretty uninteresting and unnoticeable to the mother.

As everyone else has said, you are meeting the diagnostic criteria for mild PE -- and even though it doesn't feel like it, mild PE is a serious disease that can rapidly get worse. The blood pressure isn't the cause of the problem, but just one of the symptoms that your body isn't tolerating pregnancy very well.

Our best understanding at this point is that the blood vessels throughout your body, including the ones in your kidneys, your liver, and the placenta, are being slowly damaged by a chemical produced by the placenta. Different things can cause this to happen in different people -- an immune system response, genetic clotting problems like Factor V Leiden, a family history of hypertension. Sometimes that damage accelerates, and sometimes women end up with horrible consequenses like failing kidneys or livers, seizures, strokes, and abrupted placentae. So it is *really* serious, even though you feel fine!

The only option to start the healing process is to deliver the placenta, which means the baby has to be delivered too. You're at a very good stage for that -- 37 weeks is considered a term pregnancy, and my NICU told me they thought of anything after 34 weeks as term with the technology they had available. Watchful waiting (what your doc is doing) is very appropriate as long as the monitoring is frequent; if things begin to go downhill, delivery is the best option for both you and the baby.

I'm glad your doctor is keeping a close eye on you with NSTs and bloodwork and 24-hour urine checks. Are you monitoring your own blood pressure at home?

countrymom2e

Postby countrymom2e » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:10 pm

With your readings it sounds like mild p-e, especially if your blood work is coming back pretty good. 36 wks is really great - hopefully you can go another week or possibly two. You might want to pick up a BP monitor so you can watch it at home. Your insurance company may reimburse as well.

I've been on bedrest since 27 wks but I cannot sit up b/c my BP shoots through the roof. With p-e, you may not feel any different. Just be aware of the symptoms that things may be worsening (headache that doesn't go away with Tylenol, vision disturbances, sudden swelling, etc.) and don't hesitate to call your OB/MW if anything changes.

HTH and that your p-e stays managed. As others mentioned, things can change rapidly so just stay vigilant [:)]

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Apr 20, 2006 07:44 am

Kirsten was 36 weeks on the nose and Sara was 35 weeks 5 days. Both girls were fine with minor issues and neither spent time in the NICU. Kirsten was monitored the first night with an isollete with the hand holes in it. Sara was allowed to be in the room with me for an hour after delivery, then per her peds orders was taken to the nursery to be put on monitors for the night. I got her back around 9 the next morning. I would have been allowed to keep her, except I was sick and SOMEONE (not sure who ordered this because my ob hasn't admitted up to it, it may have been a wayward nurse), took her back because I was ordered to stay in bed and no visitors. Kirsten and I were in the hospital for 10 days. Sara and I left 36 hours after delivery (I would have liked to have stayed till the next morning, but insurance boots you out after 48 hours, who wants to leave the hospital at midnight).

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Tina,

I wanted to say hi and welcome as well. I too am sorry that you have been diagnosed with preeclampsia but am happy to see that you are almost at term, and have a doctor that seems to be monitoring you closely.

A diagnosis of preeclampsia requires two separate bp readings of 140/90 and 300mg of protein in a 24 hour urine sample. Here is a link to our Signs & Symptoms page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp Please keep it handy and if you start to notice any new or worsening symptoms, don't hesitate to head straight to L&D. You are so very close to term, always better safe than sorry. Preeclampsia is a disease that can develop and progress very rapidly so please continue to keep very close watch over yourself.

As far as what your options are at this point - your doctor will continue to monitor you closely and will likely keep you pregnant until you either hit term, or it becomes unsafe for you or baby. Delivery is the only thing that will set the healing process in motion. So unfortunately not a lot of options, but you are at a great place in your pregnancy.

I had my second son at 36 weeks and 6 days and he did great. 5lbs. 15oz. and roomed in with me from the start. We both came home three days later and he's now a chubby 21lb. 15-month old.

I wish you the very very best. Please continue to keep very close watch over yourself. Don't hesitate to come here with any questions you might have.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 09:50 pm

Sounds to me like you have PE, but I guess it depends on the big picture whether they will deliver you. I just delivered at 36+3. My daughter was fine -- 7 lbs and healthy.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Wed Apr 19, 2006 09:24 pm

Hi Tina! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm really sorry that things couldn't be better but the really good news is that you're in a great place. 36 wks is barely considered premature anymore. I was diagnosed at 35 weeks and delivered my little girl at exactly 36 wks. She was 5 lbs 8 oz. To me, who had never seen a brand newborn baby, she seemed tiny and my family was scared by how small she looked, but to a pretty large number of women on this board, 5 lbs seems mammoth!:) My daughter was considered to have slight IUGR but she was ready to go home before the hospital was ready to release me. She didn't spend any time in NICU. However, there are some babies born at 36 wks who may need to spend a few days in NICU, it just depends on how the preeclampsia affects your baby. Mild PE is typically low blood pressure on the high end (at or slightly about 140/90) and anything over 300 in your protein count is considered PE. Some women wind up in the thousands with their protein count, it really just varies. Mild PE might not cause your kidneys or liver to start shutting down, but severe typically does and can also lead to a diagnosis of HELLP, which thankfully I avoided. As far as options go, there isn't much you can do. If you are on bedrest, its about all that you can personally do to have some form of control, but the truth is, you have no control over PE. It does what it will do on its own. Some women manage to hold on without being induced for weeks and weeks after being diagnosed, some only days. Basically, you sound like you're doing relatively well (in regards to having PE) as far as your bp goes and your protein. If you are about to stay relatively stable around those levels and your baby scores well on your NST, etc, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make it to at least 36 wks (just my opinion). Your doctor will be able to determine how you and the baby are both doing, and decide whether or not you are safe to continue your pregnancy as long as you can or if an induction/c-section is necessary. At this point, no matter what happens, just know that your baby has a very good chance of getting out of this ordeal with little to no reprocussions. Good luck to you, Tina. I hope your tests all come back good and you can hang in there a while longer. I will be thinking of you. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

tinah18

Almost 36 Weeks...

Postby tinah18 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 06:33 pm

My questions are for mothers out there that have made it to 36 weeks. I was diagnosed with Pre E 2 weeks ago and my doctor has put me on limited bed rest. I can shower, lay on the couch, sit in a chair with my feet elevated, etc... The funny thing is that I feel fine. I am a little tired, but isn't that supose to happen during pregnancy? I am 24 pregnant with my first child. My blood pressure has been around 150/92 and my protein is in the 530 range (or +2) I guess what I want to know is how serious are these readings and what does this all mean. I have been looking on the net and can't find a lot of information. The information I do find tells me what signs and symptoms to look for to determine if I have pre e or not. I guess I am just curious as to what constitutes as mild pre e (and what are the options) and what constitutes as severe pre e. At my last appointment (monday, april 17th) my doctor sent me up for another NST and said that if my blood work didn't come out good that we were going to have a baby that night. I ended up going home with another 24hr urine test. We do a bi physical profile tomorrow (April, 20). I will be considered 36 weeks on Tuesday, April 25th. I guess any information will be appreciated. I am just confused as to what all of this means and if I am at a safe time to deliver.

Thanks,

Tina

Return to “Ask the Experienced”