Post Reply FAQ Members Login

loss of amniotic fluid

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

loss of amniotic fluid

Postby kurt » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:44 am

by kurt (1 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:44 am

hi,

i was hoping someone could help answer some of our concerns. my wife loss her amniotic fluid (most of it) and she's just shy of 22 weeks. she is on bedrest at the hospital. right now we are playing a waiting game, but have not gotten any positive feedback as far as the future outlook. now they're trying to prevent her from going into labor. my wife is concerned that the baby is struggling and if it survives, will likely suffer with complications. we wonder what the chances are of a baby developing normally without major problems if it continues to survive without the fluid. doctors are telling us that they really don't have any data on percentages of survival rates for children that suffered through this trauma- they have given us some info on percentages for children that are born prematurely, but our scenario is more complex. we have time to weigh the situation, but would like to absorb as much feedback as possible before having to do so. thanks for any responses,

kurt and rachel
kurt

Re : loss of amniotic fluid

Postby akemt » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:05 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:05 am

Kurt,

First may I say how sorry I am that you and your wife and baby are going through this. I was diagnosed with oligohydramnios (low fluid) and that was the hardest part of my pregnancy. So, by loss of fluid, I take it to mean that her fluid level has lowered as opposed to her membranes rupturing. Am I correct?

I would suggest reading up on IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Retardation) for more information about what can happen, though I honestly don't know if that will be more accurate or not for statistics.

What is your wife's Amniotid fluid Index (AFI)? I beleive it is considered borderline low at about 5-8 (still very low) and requiring action below that. Bedrest worked amazingly well for me and the doctors were a bit suprised so there is hope. How long has your wife been on bedrest and has it helped any? I sure hope it does. 22 weeks is very early and more time is necessary for your baby. I'm sure they've told you the risks associated with low fluid.

Please keep us updated, we are worried for all of you! Please know that we are here and feel free to ask any more questions...one of us should have an answer.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby laura » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:16 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:16 am

Oh Kurt, how awful for you guys!
It is my understanding that low fluid can be caused by three different things:
1. premature rupture of membranes (aka PROM) which is more like leaking (which I suspect is what's causing your wife's problem)
2. problems with the baby- like kidneys that don't work
3. problems with mom- like hypertension or lupus- which influence how much blood reaches the placenta

The percentages of how the baby will do often depends on what's causing the problem. My cousin's membranes leaked but with bedrest and LOTS of fluid intake, they sealed back up. I had low fluid from hypertension, and bedrest and fluid didn't really help, but then again, I didn't drop down to nothing until near term.

They have a amniotic fluid disorder bulletin board at Babycenter and the oligo moderator- Roberta- is a sweetheart. The nicest person you'd ever want to talk to. I'm sure you'll find people who have experienced the same thing, who can give you advice there. I know they helped me! They have some ladies there who have managed to amaze the doctors with how well they did.

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/pregcomplications/1202046

In the meantime, hang in there! I've heard that gatorade does wonders for helping replenish fluid, especially with PROM. It's worth a try, anyway! I would check with the doctor and ask what he or she thinks is causing the problem. If it's leaky fluid, if you search for PROM, I'll bet you'll find a wealth of information. Take care and I'll be thinking about you guys.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:33 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:33 am

Kurt,

I think I missed the entire point when I read and responded to your message before. Sorry!

Here is what my understanding is as far as outcomes goes (by no means concrete and I'm not a doctor either):

If the low fluid is caused by a rupture of her membrane, then they can do something called an amniofusion (inject saline into the amniotic sack) to prolong the pregnancy. There is a risk of infection, but with close monitoring at the hospital, things should be okay.

If the low fluid is caused by lowered placental perfusion, then the outcomes aren't as optomistic. The risks that I'm aware of are that the baby can collapse it's own cord by laying on it without the cushion of the amniotic fluid. I guess in theory they could do an amniofusion to lessen that risk, but that is more like treating the symptom (for lack of a better word, sorry) instead of the disease if you understand what I mean. The biggest problem is that lowered amniotic fluid levels are indicative of the baby getting less nutrients. As you can imagine, that can cause all manner of problems. Also, I beleive the lungs take longer to mature because of the lack of fluid to "practise breathing" with...though I'm not sure. That may be a diaphraghm issue.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better information. I hope this hasn't scared you more, but I imagine you are already quite worried and that the more information you have, the better. My heart goes out to you and your wife.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby greenivy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:29 pm

by greenivy (1 Posts), Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:29 pm

I had an car accident right before christmas and have lost all my amniotic fluid. I have been bed resting for 3 weeks and had an ultra sound that I got little bit of amniotic fluid but the bad thing in I am keeping leaking out my precious fluid every day little by little. Seem like my ruture membrance (sak) is not going to seal my itself.
So doctor suggested me to have "Tisseal injection" to stop leaking from uterus by next week. I don't really know exactly about this injection but heard that there won't be any side infection.
I am praying for the success of procedure or that operation and hope to let you know the good news.

God bless you all. and May God comfort you and give you peace.
God is the creator who has made all of us.
He is the Mighty God. I truly trust in God.

Hanna
greenivy

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:34 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:34 am

Hanna,

I hope everything goes well...let us know!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced