new here and need help!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

new here and need help!

Postby amys » Fri Dec 12, 2003 05:44 am

I have been reading all of the posts on this site and realize that you are all very knowledgable on this topic so I was hoping to get some answers to a few questions that I have. I am currently 39weeks 4 days pregnant (due on th 15th) and when I was at my dr's appt. yesterday we discovered that I had trace amounts of protein in my urine and my bp was 130/85. My dr. recommended that I take it easy and rest and to watch for signs of preeclampsia (blurred vision, headaches, sudden swellen etc). I have had normal bp throughout my pregnancy but tons of swelling. I am worried that I will not be able to tell if this gets worse over the next week. I am not seeing my dr. again until next Thursday. I was wondering if you could all tell me what I should/shouldn't be doing. Also, what is trace amounts of urine - would that be like a +1 or something? I do have a home bp monitor although it is very unreliable since I keep getting different reading ever time I use it. The only real symptom that I think I have had is nausea. Earlier this week I had major nausea after dinner...although no vomitting but very close. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Oh also, would a rise in bp cause labour to start?

Thanks so much for your help,

Amy
EDD 12/15/03
amys

Re : new here and need help!

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Dec 12, 2003 06:11 am

Hi Amy! Your almost there! While some of the symptoms your having very well could be just from getting so close to delivery...some could be signs of PE sneaking up on ya. I am sure one of the ladies will give you a heads up on the exact numbers of the rise in BP's. (I am not exactly sure) What is your BP usually? They say to watch for swelling in your hands and face for PE. Although for me this happened in my feet more. Your blood pressure is supposed to change. So, your BP machine may be more reliable then you think. I want to let you know, even if you deliver tomorrow and you have some of the signs creeping up now, does not mean that you still can not end up with PE after the baby is born! So, you STILL need to keep that eye on things when the baby is born as well! Protein is a +3 for diagnosis of PE. A trace is normal, especially this late in the pregnancy. Nausea can be 'normal' as well, although a sign of PE. That lil big person inside you isnt giving you much room anymore. Try eating in smaller more frequent portions, see if this helps.

DEFINATELY, follow your dr's orders and take it easy! You have come too far to see disaster now! One thing alot of us ladies say on here is the ol' "listen to your body"!! If you feel at anytime that something is not right...GO STRAIGHT TO LABOR AND DELIVERY! Dont wait! Dont worry about who will think what, or what will my OB say! Ultimately its your body and your baby, your all that matters right now!!!!

I dont know that I have helped, but WELCOME!! We are always glad to educate new people!! [:D]

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby mada » Fri Dec 12, 2003 07:52 am

Hi Amy and welcome!

As Sherry said, you are very close, but PE can also occur post pardum so just becareful. Although on a good note, usually delivery of the baby clears up PE. Now, trace protien just means that there is a "trace of protein in your urine. It's not +1 or higher....this can be normal. Tecnically you need a reading of +2 and elevated bp's to be diagnosed, but all your symptoms could be precursors. Like your doc says. if you develope any more symptoms like headache that won't go away, visual disturbance, call immedialtey or go to the hospital. Inducing now would be totally fine as you are term...Good luck and let us know when you have that baby [:)]!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby annegarrett » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:24 am

I would encourage you (if you didn't at your appointment) to call your OB and inform him or her about your vomiting. Vomiting at this point in the pregnancy is generally but not always associated with preeclampsia.

You might ask, since you are so close to term, that you be induced at term. Did you check out the main website? Go to the Home button about and click on About Preeclampsia and read the Signs and Symptoms page. You might even print that page out and put it on the fridge. Email or call anytime...you are very close.

Take care,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced