My concern with taking the medication before my blood pressure goes up higher is low blood pressure induced by the medications. Lower blood pressure appears to be much worse than high blood pressure. I have a very stressful job. I teach 115 7th graders in a rural school. I have numerous frustrations and a commute. I work very hard through the week and go to graduate school one night per week. A typical day has me going from 6:00 am until 10:00 pm with solid work. Not to mention the typical ups & downs of the classroom: fights, disrespect, frustrations, failure, and kids who are not taken care off by their parents or abused. After a day like some I have, I am not surprised that my bp is up when I get to the dr. after work. I have not had my bp tested by my obgyn without spending the majority of the day at school with my little angels.
After reading several articles on the research database Lexis-Nexis and Eric, I have come to the conclusion that no long term studies have been done on how medicines affect the baby.
I am not a person who sees medicine as a fix to problems. However, I am not one to jeapordize my health or my baby's health. I prefer to take a dietary and lifestyle change accompanied with raw bp data for atleast two weeks until my scheduled growth scan/ultrasound.
I have no symptoms associated with high bp aside from high marks on occassion. I am simply looking for concrete data before I start taking a medication that will alter my body's cardiovascular functioning. I mean, I consider the side effects of the medicine as almost worse than high blood pressure and I really don't want to take anything that I need to be "weened" off of.
But still, I will....if i show concrete data. I have read this forum and researched medical articles on realiable online academic databases - it seems a majority of the experts won't prescribe until atleast 160/100. Am I wrong? Is it too dangerour to wait?
As far as trusting my OBGYN goes, I do trust her. But there are about 4 OBs that rotate. The one I met the day my pressure was so high really struck me as a "I am scared I am going to get sued, so here take this" kind of Dr. She hadn't known me but two minutes and was ready to send me off to the hospital and then said well, just take this medicine. NO WAY! I will not take it based on four meetings where a nurse practioner has taken my bp.
So, I am getting a second opinion and keeping a running record, and
deciding to take the medicine if:
Something is wrong with the growth scan.
There is protein in my urine.
My Bp goes over 150/100
I want a natural childbirth. I don't want to treat something unless it really needs to be treated. I am not in denial, I am just being pro-active in my medical needs. I might not completely trust drs in general. Mainly because I am an educated person who can read and discern medical journals enough to know that bandwagoning of medicines for various ailments is a problem in this country.
Well, that is enough for now. Comments?