Need advice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Need advice

Postby newmommie » Tue Dec 16, 2003 01:32 pm

Hi,

Here's my story in brief...24 weeks pregnant, so far no problems other than some water retention (last checkup gained 5 lbs in one month - 13 in total - which after monitoring my salt intake and staying away from processed foods, has disappeared). BP started out at 115/65 and is now 120/70. Have some minor pain in my upper abdomen (like between my rib cage) that is controlled by not eating raw fruits and veggies (only cooked). Travelled this past weekend (with my doc's ok) and was fine except I thought I was getting a UTI. Turns out no UTI but one day had major urethra pain/pressure (I was highly agitated and was crying all morning) so called my doc who told me to go to the nearest hospital to be monitored. They found bacterial vaginosis and was given antibiotics, which seem to be making me feel much better (pain is gone). While at the hospital, baby was fine, strong heartbeat, excellent fetal movement (he kicked the nurse but hard!). However, when I first checked in, my bp was 157/87 (mind you when I went to my doc 2 days earlier it was 120/70). When I picked up my prescription about 2 hours later, the machine told me my bp was 130/71...much reduced. Is it possible that this was just a one time off thing because I was stressed about the hospital? I really don't have any other symptoms....no headaches (except the occassional which is remedied by Tylenol), no huge abdominal/back pain, vision is great, no protein in urine. Am I to see my doctor next week and I'm wondering if I'm just panicking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Newmommie
EDD: 4/3/04
newmommie

Re : Need advice

Postby mada » Tue Dec 16, 2003 02:20 pm

Hi And welcome[:)] It sounds to me like everything is okay. A one time reading like that could be nothing...the best thing is you seem to be very on top of things as well as your doc being proactive, sending you to the hospital....So, if this does turn out to be something more later, you and your doc will be indeed on top of it. technically you need a reading of +2 protein and elevated bp's to be diagnosed although many docs start listening to the warning signs of +1 protein and higher bp's....and on the other side of the coin some let it go too far. Like I said you seem educated on this and so does your doc so I wouldn't worry too much. The signs to look out for are pitting edema, swelling in the face(mine was very noticable in my eyelids) headaches that won't go away with tyelonal,dizziness, visual disturbances.....Those warrant being looked by right away..hang in there[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Return to Ask the Experienced