Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Snoring ... A sign of what is to come??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Snoring ... A sign of what is to come??

Postby newmommymar04 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 07:14 am

Hello Everyone!!

I am now 29 weeks ( woo hoo )!!

Unfortunately for the past week or so I have developed snoring. Last night I seemed extra congested and my husband said my snoring was so bad he had to sleep in the other room [:(]

I started reading today about why I have developed snoring all the sudden during this pregnancy and 99% of the links came up with fact sheets about how snoring was a sign of the onset of PE/PIH.

Has anyone else heard or read about this?

Could my snoring I just developed be another sign of my impending Preeclampsia yet to develop?

Many of the webstites I read were actual clinical studies that showed a high number of women who started snoring in pregnancy also developed PIH/PE.

Anyone know the facts on this?

Have any of you developed snoring during pregnancy?
Is this not at all related to PE?

And the #1 question...

WILL MY SNORING GO AWAY AFTER PREGNANCY??

I could not stand if my husband sleeps in another room after the baby is born.

HELP!
newmommymar04

Re : Snoring ... A sign of what is to come??

Postby newmommie » Wed Dec 17, 2003 07:33 am

Hi,

I'm not experienced in this at all, but a lot of my friends snored during their pregnancies and were completely fine and delivered healthy full-term babies. I haven't researched the snoring thing like you have but congestion is a normal part of pregnancy. I would ask your doc and have him make sure everything else is ok.

Hugs,
Newmommie
EDD: 4/3/04 to Evan James
newmommie

Postby mada » Wed Dec 17, 2003 07:35 am

Well, I have heard the same thing however, have you been congested at all? Whenever I have anything going on with my sinuses or a cold I tend to snore and normally I don't. So, I guess I am not all that sure. I think though if you are not normally a snorer it will probably go away...Oh, I just read you seemed extra congested so maybe that's what it is....How are oyu this morning. I slept with a cool mist humidifier while pregnant and that helped with the stuffiness..That's not uncommon in pregnant women. How is everything else? Any headahes or anything? Hope all is fine and let us know how you are doing[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby newmommymar04 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 07:42 am

Yes I have been congested, But I am always congested and have been congested my whole pregnancy.

Maybe I am a bit "extra" congested for the past few days and having the heater on does'nt help either.

No Headaches or anything. Acutally I have been checking my blood pressure since my SVT heart issue and its been very low. Last night it was 110/65.

I hope I dont develop sleep apnea!! Gosh I am such a worry wart!!

I am going to go buy some breathe right strips and a cool humidifier today after work. I need the humidifier anyways for the baby so I will just go ahead and buy it now.

What do I put in humidifiers???
I have never used one.

Christy
newmommymar04

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 08:44 am

Strange that you posted this question. I was reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" last night and there was a question in there about why do you snore when you're pregnant. When you're pregnant your blood vessels swell and so do the capillaries in your nose. This causes congestion, which causes snoring and is very normal. I've never heard that it's a sign of pre-e.
tahoe4

Postby mada » Wed Dec 17, 2003 08:49 am

Christy,
You want to get a cool mist humidifier, my doc said those are the best....Vicks makes a good one with a filter..Then all you do is fill it up with clean cool water. Also, always clean it with water only, never use soap or detergents.....Hope this helps[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby sarab » Wed Dec 17, 2003 09:17 am

Hi,

I started snoring around my 20th week, and it was BAD. My husband hated it and sometimes it was so loud that I woke myself up! [:I] I was daignosed with pree at 23 weeks, and while reading up on it I also came across several studies linking snoring to pree. I asked my doctor about it and he said he had also heard about this and thought that they very well could be related in some cases. Maybe the high BP just puts a lot of strain on those tiny blood vessels in our nose.

Also, I tried the breathe right strips and they did nothing for me, but maybe you'll have better luck. The best news I can give you though is that my snoring did stop after I delivered, much to my and my husband's relief. [:D]

Good luck!

Sara, 23
DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
sarab
Site Admin

Postby amandab » Wed Dec 17, 2003 03:11 pm

Here's what I know from experience about snoring... My sister-in-law started snoring in the 3rd trimester with both of her pgs. She also went on to develop HELLP both times. I also started snoring in the 3rd trimester in my first pg, and I then developed pre-e. The snoring started a couple of weeks before the rise in BP for both of us. Could be a coincidence, but I've told my DH to let me know the minute I start snoring this time!!

Also I want to mention that I have always had a lot of problems with congestion due to allergies (even when not pg). I have NEVER snored other than in the weeks before being diagnosed with pre-e, and as soon as I delivered I stopped snoring.

Every woman is different, though. But now that you are snoring, just monitor your BP closer. That certainly won't hurt!

Amanda

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby lisac » Thu Dec 18, 2003 01:32 pm

I'm normally a very quite sleeper. I started snoring quite a bit during pregnancy after the first trimester. I went on to develop severe PE @ 23 wks. I had read in a few places, though, that pregnant women just tend to snore in general. It's interesting to note but I hope that nobody would have unecessary anxiety about it. There's really no proof of a connection.
Lisa
lisac

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced